Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how THE FRICK am i gonna get my parents to let me get a bike. i'm 18 but i'm going to junior college and living with my mom and she REFUSED to cosign for a bike for me. do i REALly need a cosigner and can i just get my buddy to cosign? he's over 18. anyways, how did you guys overcome the parental "bikes are too dangerous" hurdle? thanx guys, later!
-gabe
p.s. do i REALLY need a cosigner to finance any of the price of a bike?

·
Registered
714 Posts
You've got a major hurrdle to over-come. Be 18 and act responsible !! My parents too were dead against me having a bike (even though my dad rode them, but he also flew Spitfires and I couldn't get one of those either !) but I guess I convinced them that I had to be trusted and also I wasn't interested in having a car. Plus all my mates were on bikes and I was going to be going on the back of them so it would be better to have my destiny in my own hands.

Can you sign up for some sort of training course (hiring a bike) ?
It may help to let then see that you're set on having two wheels.

Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
diplomacy

Ease your way in, if you show pictures of open class sposts machines they'll fear that their genetic message will not be passed on. Show pics of off road bikes (so safe no traffic!) or small unintimidating machines. Once they come to terms with two wheels everything else is just a natural progression.

·
Registered
380 Posts
usually if you have over half of the purchase price in cash to put down, you don't need a co-signer. If you have to finace it, you probably will need one. Look into a used bike you can pay cash for.

As for the parents, emphasize low costs, commuting, building up credit, being safe and responsible, wear all the right stuff, don't do burnouts and wheelies in the driveway, and don't ever tell them about this one time, when you just had to punch it ot outrun these flashing lights......

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm 33 and my parents are still against me riding! hehe...

You can skip being 19 and 20 years old and just turn 21... then you can do what you want... but they will still rag on you!

Save up for a used bike.
Do not lose your temper when negotiating with your parents about the bike.
Take a safety riders course.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yeah

start out looking at scooters even, show her pictures of them and crap like that. then when she gets into it, say you found a cheap zx250 somewhere. keep going up til you get there

·
Registered
19 Posts
Grubburg,

My parents were agains me having a bike as well. I bought my first one while in college (i did tell them before I bought it). In my opinion the best thing to do is buy a bike you can afford without a loan that needs your parents to cosign, then show them that you are a responsible for rider. Keep all your registrations and insurance up to date, as well as any payments on the bike you may have, this shows signs of fiscal resposibility. Make sure you always wear your helmet and don't act the fool on your bike. If you go down 2 months after getting a bike it will not bode well for parental approval the next time around. If you are going to be living in your parents house I wouldn't do too much to piss them off (i.e buying a busa). Start with an SV 650 (my first bike was a 1972 CB 500 that I paid $500 for) or a used CBR 600 etc. Get some riding history under your belt then go for the big bore bike if you want it.

My mother always told me that if I ever bought a bike she would kick me out of her house. But after having te bike for 2 years in college she saw that I was responsible for it and loved riding, she let me move back home after college and stopped nagging but I know she is still concerned and always tells me to be careful. - and rightfully so. I have been on my own for a while now and own 3 bikes - just love em. Your parents too will come around as long as you do the right thing.

Just be responsible and things will work themselves out. Like a previous post said, dont do burnouts in the driveway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tom petty- mary jane is the greatest song ever

the scooter idea is good and the whole "comuting" approach is good. i'm gonna say like "mom, did you know that the money we pay for gas leaks it's way down to the middle east and terrorists" and then i'm gonna say like "did you know that if every car in america got 2.7 mpg better, we wouldn't import ANY oil from the middle east" and she will be like... "Woooow....."

then i'm gonna be like, if i could get something new for 4 grand and get over 40 miles per gallon, would you be interested in helping me put a down payment on?

then she will say, as long as it's not a croach rocket. then she'll talk to my dad and my uncles and it'll all be down hill from there. MAN, i have no chance. i'm just gonna come home with it. i swear to god, i'm just gonna buy it.

merry christmas and a happy new year fellaS!
-gabe

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I was 27 years old and had been away from home since the age of 18 and Mom still said, "You'll get a bike over my dead body." I responded with a laugh and, "Are you paying the bills in my house?" I told her that if she wanted to start paying my bills again then I would respect her wishes. Needless to say, I bought the bike. :p

You on the other had have a tough hurdle but the idea of working it in slowly as mentioned. :)

Of course you can tell them that it's the over 40 crowd that is dying more on bikes now. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yup, when I was 18 I started trying to get a bike. I went through all the same motions with the parents, they sorta humoured me for awhile but eventually I realized there was no way they would help me finance one. So now it's 2 and a half years later and I just now finally saved up enough and bought a very nice used CBR up front.
It was a rough road of pretty much 2 years of scrounging but it was worth it. My parents actually became very supportive after they realized me getting one was imminent. They even chipped in on a nice new Arai helmet this christmas.
So I guess the moral is just dont give up the dream and eventually you can make it happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got my first bike when I was 17 years old. I was never able to completely overcome the bikes are dangerous mentality, even though my father rode an Indian when he was younger. So, I worked all summer at two jobs and then I bought a wrecked bike from a friend and spent a year fixing it. I did most of the work myself. I didn't ride it for 9 months, just worked on it after school, and after work. I put so much time and effort into it that my parents finally accepted that I was serious about it, and they more or less relented. The important point here is that I paid for it myself, including the insurance; got a motorcycle drivers license, and then got the bike registered and inspected without their financial aid. The bike was a 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 and I did all that back in 1970. Granted that was a long time ago, but the principle remains...if you want to do something you must first prove you are serious and capable. I've been riding ever since.

·
Registered
40 Posts
well the only thing you can do is save up $$$ and buy a used one yourself...even then your parents may pull the old "as long as you live under my roof etc etc" i wanted a bike when i was 16 but of course my parents laughed it off. so i finally got one 3 months ago..im 21 now

nobody in my family wanted me to get it, but now that i have it...they have started to help me out by chipping in $$$ so i can get my track pants and boots. they just want me to be as safe as possible ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wow

I'm surprised all of you guys had this much trouble getting your bikes... I'm 17 now and was 16 when I went for mine.
Just saw an add in AutoTrader one day and decided I needed to get a bike, my parents just said I had to pay for it (in payments at that...) and my dad wanted something no less than 600cc so he could ride it too...
Maybe my parents don't love me :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Re: Wow

Speedboy3 said:
I'm surprised all of you guys had this much trouble getting your bikes... I'm 17 now and was 16 when I went for mine.
Just saw an add in AutoTrader one day and decided I needed to get a bike, my parents just said I had to pay for it (in payments at that...) and my dad wanted something no less than 600cc so he could ride it too...
Maybe my parents don't love me :)

They probably got a hefty life insurance policy on you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
:p My dad used to ride a Norton, don't think he had quite the understanding of the power of ANY sportbike when he told me 600cc was the minimum I'd want. I'm still working on making him shift AFTER 4,000RPM.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Man I must have the coolest Mom ever.

My Mom helped me get my first bike when I was just a young lad of 12 years old. I saved my paper rout money and grass cutting dough all sumer and when I had half the needed funds for that mini dirtbike she gave me the other half so I could go and get it. 30 years later I am still riding and my little 68 year old mom still likes to get on the back of my HD for a cruze around the block. THANKS MOM.:cool: :D

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
RCjohn said:
I was 27 years old and had been away from home since the age of 18 and Mom still said, "You'll get a bike over my dead body." I responded with a laugh and, "Are you paying the bills in my house?" I told her that if she wanted to start paying my bills again then I would respect her wishes. Needless to say, I bought the bike. :p
Ahhh, how loosely some of use the term "house". But I guess home is where you hang you hat, be it a lean-to at the garbage dump, a double wide in a community, or a rimless chevy stationwagon.

Dude, my parents were against it as well. I lived 5 states away at 21 and when they found out I had a motorcycle my brother had to listen to it for years since he still lived with them. But since I haven't killed myself, they are not AS opposed to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
At 1st when I told my parents I was going to get a bike my dad said no. (He rode and so did my brother...plus my mom had already taken the MSF course) I was 21 at the time. After he said no I told him I already signed up for the MSF class and it was paid for. He didn't say much more other than that simple word...NO Right after I took the class and my brother spied on me. He told my dad I was doing good. As soon as I passed he looked at me and asked when I was going to buy my bike. A month later he was at the dealer with me. He paid for the bike on a credit card and then I got a loan from the bank and paid the credit card off.

I have been riding everyday now for the past 3 years and now my dad says I need to grow up and buy a car...He wants me to sell the bike. However I think this is due to some recent events of fellow sportbikers dying.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts