Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been contimplating taking a different road/course in life. I'm frankly sick of my current job (prison) and need a change. I guess the saying is do something you love and it's not work, well I don't love baby sitting inmates all day long.

Anyway I'm thinking about going to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (MMI) In Phoenix and it's going to take me 45 weeks to complete. A long time. :( I have the GI Bill to cover most, if not all, of the expenses; so that shouldn't be much of a concern.

Now to my question....have you or anyone you know attended MMI?? If so how was it, what kind of job security since you graduated, how hard, did you get a job while you were going to school, etc... would you recommend taking the course(s)??
Any comments/help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Drew :)

------------------
Hamburgers. The
cornerstone of any
nutritious breakfast.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Do they have a web page? I'd like to read about this place.

------------------
John

Not the brightest crayon in the box now, are we?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
www.uticorp.com
not the best website. basically you request info from MMI on the website.
We have 1 person in Tallahassee who is certified, the other 6 shops have no one.
I know a guy who went through it and he works for a small, nondealer shop now in Jacksonville. Makes enough to get by with a family but... I am sure at bigger dealers or manufacturers the money would be better. I wish I could go for the knowledge alone.

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drew:
Anyway I'm thinking about going to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (MMI) In Phoenix and it's going to take me 45 weeks to complete.
Now to my question....have you or anyone you know attended MMI?? If so how was it, what kind of job security since you graduated, how hard,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My brother-in-law went there... he learned alot but doesn't have to tools to do alot of the work and doesn't have a job doing MC work... His friend from his class is the head mechanic for a popular racer for drag or GP racing or something like that. I guess it depends how mechanically inclined you are and how well you learn the info and apply it. I think they have a job placement type thing where the teacher will recommend people, not sure on that. Hope this helps.

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

[This message has been edited by Kahuna (edited September 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you looked into both schools? (MMI & AMI) I know that AMI is a WHOLE lot farther away from you, but when I decided to go to a school (AMI) the people at MMI were not very helpful at all. I'm not trying to be a salesman or nothing, but i'd check into both. I know that the course for any "jap" bike is only 20 weeks at AMI. I don't know about the cost of MMI, but for the 20 week program at AMI is right around $8,000. One of the biggest "complaints" i had with MMI is that you have to buy $1000 worth of tools(you are going to have to get them anyways, but right when you start school can be problemful) that you can't even use for the first six months. But, this is only my .02

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KornKid...I'm not familiar w/ AMI...where is it??

The people at MMI have been more than helpful with my question etc. In fact I just got off the phone with them, and they called ME! So far so good. Actually I don't think you need tools for the first six weeks, because they teach you theory and you don't go diving in to anything just yet.

I am open to anything though.

Thanks, Drew.

------------------
Hamburgers. The
cornerstone of any
nutritious breakfast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey, AMI is in Daytona Beach. I graduate on october third(wooo hooo) I started the school in april. So far it has been pretty cool. I don't know how far away you want to go for school. If you want to call AMI, the number is 1-800-881-2AMI.

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my best friend from high school took it in fla, he works for dick farmer harley, he stayed down there to work, he got a part time job at the dealer while he was going to school, he's bin doing it for about 5 years now and loves it, they will help you get a job, just doent believe them when they say youl get out making 15 bucks a hour, you have to get in a shop and start working and work your way up, he's making in the 40's now plus great discounts on bike stuff and bikes, at first he wasn't making real good money, i would suggest doin it if it interest you

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts