Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a mirror "chrome" visor for my helmet. I do not see many of those
on the street. Can someone give me advise if there are problems with them?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
mac020 said:
They scratch very easily.
Yup, this is the biggest problem. Add in that if you wear one, it'll be a problem if it gets dark before you get to your destination as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kanwisch said:
Yup, this is the biggest problem. Add in that if you wear one, it'll be a problem if it gets dark before you get to your destination as well.
I plan to carry my original clear one with me.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I use a clear visor and wear wrap around riding glasses. If it gets dark or everything fogs-up, I slide the glasses down and look over the top. Also allows me to ride with the visor open. I did the reflective shield once. Never again! One good scratch and they are ruined, whereas most scratches in a clear one can be buffed out. Spen your money on parts and gas!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mac020 said:
I use a clear visor and wear wrap around riding glasses. If it gets dark or everything fogs-up, I slide the glasses down and look over the top. Also allows me to ride with the visor open. I did the reflective shield once. Never again! One good scratch and they are ruined, whereas most scratches in a clear one can be buffed out. Spen your money on parts and gas!
Thank you for the advise. I guess I will get a regular smoke visor. I wear glasses, and the morning (and evening) glare from the sun is terrible on the way to work. So I will need some sort of shading.
Plus the the regular smoke lens is about $20 cheaper.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah they scratch easy and you have to deal with carrying a clear and changing when it gets dark, but if you are cool with that it will be fine. I use clear, cause i dont like to carry anything extra, and mirrored is a little to GLAM for me:twofinger ...JK.

·
Registered
892 Posts
unless u keep imaculate care of it expect to get a new mirror visor about every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

My preferred visors for my Arai helmets are the "light smoke" version. They do a reasonable job of reducing bright sunshine while also reasonable for nighttime riding for reduction of oncoming headlight glare. You'll still need a pair of good shades if you're heading east in the morning or west in the afternoon.

Mirrored visors aren't worth the trouble as illustrated earlier by everyone on the thread. Don't waste yer' money.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
376 Posts
i had a blue mirrored visor that matched my bike, i liked it quite a bit, and didn't have a problem with it scratching (but I was careful with it). i did ride a couple times at night but wouldn't reccomend it...though it's possible if you get caught out at night though.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Anyone have any input on the iridium sheilds? Ive been looking at em for my Spec1R. I wear glasses as well so sunglasses are out.

Sepias

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
Anyone have any input on the iridium sheilds? Ive been looking at em for my Spec1R. I wear glasses as well so sunglasses are out.

Sepias
Same thing as mirrored. I've owned one and would again. But it has exactly the same problems.

The issue I have with sunglasses is that the vast majority give me headaches from the pressure behind my ears. A specific model of Oakley avoids pressure in that spot but sticks out so far from my head in the back that they aren't useable in a helmet. Thus, the iridium shield.

Mine was scratched before my crash but I never really had a reason to replace it. Worked fine and you couldn't see the scratches from inside the helmet.

EDIT: sp

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I might have to try one. I haven't had any problems with my face sheilds, though theyve all been clear, I clean them after every ride. Ehh worse come to worse I'm out some cash and stick with clears.

Sepias

1 - 14 of 14 Posts