Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the minimum amount of gear you will wear when you ride your Sportbike?
For me it is, Helmet,Leather Sportbike Jacket,Gloves,Bluejeans,and Boots. Have not got enough mony saved yet for Leather Pants.
Only when the temps are in the 90's and it's realy humeid will I go with out Jacket and gloves.

RPM

------------------

·
Registered
367 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, my son and I went to a local hangout and we were standing around talking to some people and all of a sudden this Katana 750 is sliding down the street, with a rider and female passenger, both in jeans, t-shirts and helmets. The rider received a broken leg and some roadrash, the passenger somehow climbed up on top of the rider and bike and she looked ok. Moral is, I will always wear my jacket no matter how hot the weather is, because you never know when you are going down and I want to be dressed for the fall and not dressed with bandages from the fall.
I wear my helmet, gloves, cordura jacket, boots, and jeans every time I ride.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

S

·
0 Posts
Yellow thong , sandals :D

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Helmet, gloves, jacket (leather or cordura best, but I will sometimes go in my jeans jacket the two miles to work when it is very warm), boots and jeans. As for jeans, I usually wear the Draggin' Jeans. Bought a few pairs so I always have a clean pair. Plus, now that they are in black I can even wear them to work!

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
how do you like the draggin jeans? I had thought about getting a couple but wanted to find someone who had used them?

------------------

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
When I ride I wear pants, usually jeans, helmet, gloves, and jacket. My daily shoes are my Alpinestar's. I get weird looks and some questions but I feel safer with boots on rather than sneakers.
When my buddy got hit by a car (20 yards in front of me) his tennis shoes were chewed up pretty well and he ended up with both ankles fractured. It is hard to have a respectable limp when you limp on both sides. It no longer looks cool, just goofy.

------------------

·
Registered
206 Posts
I always wear my armoured leather jacket, jeans, and my Doc's. I crash tested my Doc Marten's, and I must say they hold up extremely well. I don't wear gloves. :( I just can't get used to them, I fumble a bit when I do wear them, so I just go without.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
468 Posts
For me it really depends on the weather, and the riding I am going out to do. Usually (95% of the time) I will wear at least my jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet (duh!). When it is really hot and humid, and I am just going to work or running errands, I will go in a t-shirt, gloves, boots and helmet (duh!). I know, I know, a t-shirt is just asking for road rash, but so what? I have had my share of road rash in my day, but I just find it unbearable to wear a jacket on really sticky days. Now if I am going for a blast through the twisties, I will NEVER go without my jacket, since the time spent standing still is minimal, and the chances of a get-off are much higher. In the city, in traffic, a jacket is more of a danger to me than protection. When I start getting all hot and sweaty inside it, I lose concentration and get aggravated, which is more dangerous than any road rash possibility.

------------------
Rossco.

[This message has been edited by Rossco929 (edited September 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like the Draggin' Jeans. They have a fit sort of like a Levi's regular loose cut, but the kevlar in the knees and seat make them a bit stiffer than the Levi's. Not uncomfortable, mind you, just a bit solider. Anyway, I sure feel a little better protected from road rash with them on. Not the impact, as they don't help with that as a good pair of armored pants do, but you can't wear leathers to work, either! ;)

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I can't wear leathers to work, but no one complains when I wear my leather chaps over my zebra striped thong!

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
Hey richard,
did you see the draggin shirt ??? Do you have it ? or heard anything about it ?

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Squid
813 Posts
Does anyone actualy wear full leathers?
I've thought about seriously buckling down to save for some for a track day or the mountains but I've only seen one pair that I would consider. The Spidi Rapter in blk,silver, and white. It's the only pair that I've ran across that offer good protection without ridiculous colors or designs.

------------------
John

Not the brightest crayon in the box now, are we?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I can now personally atest to the value of Draggin Jeans. I just lowsided today while wearing my Draggin Jeans. Not a high speed get off, but enough to almost wear a hole in the denim. The kevlar in the knees definitely held up. My knee is a little bruised, but they did their job. Definitely worth the $80 and much more protection than regular jeans. Also had my regular riding outfit of a Fieldsheer leather jacket and my Arai on. Both received some scuffs, but I'm here posting so that must say something.

------------------

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glenn, man, I am glad to hear you are all right. Where did you have the incident? And I am also glad to hear that the Draggin' Jeans actually work that well. Only one thing, once a helmet does its job, as your may have in this get off, it is time to replace it. Yes it may cost a few bucks, but you see that they are worth it. Ride safe...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I wear a leather jacket (as often as I can, AZ heat hurts) gloves, jeans, helmet, and above the ankle leather shoes/boots. I wear my full leathers on weekend rides.

I strongly believe that if you can afford a bike but not gear, then you can't afford the bike!!

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Damn rice burners!

[This message has been edited by VYPIR (edited September 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks Richard. It happened not too far from my house. The LIE service road and Vets Highway intersection. It's a familiar road that I gone on hundreds of times. This time I happended to go over a manhole cover and the bike just slid out from under me. A new helmet has already been added to the list of replacement parts.

------------------

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glad to hear you are all right. Hitting some of those manhole covers can be like running over a brink wall. It isn't so bad with a sportbike or a standard like my ZR, but I ran over them with my V-Star and I thought my fillings were going to fall out!

Anyway, just get back on the bike as soon as you can. Where are you going to get the bodywork done?

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks again Richard. I plan to get back on it as soon I as I can get it running but that would depend on how much it cost. So I won't be at Port Jeff for a little while. I'll keep you posted on the repair. I'm going to have my shop look at. They do great work and the guy is very honest and fair.

------------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts