Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I see all these bike's for sale and I dont know what is considered alot of mile's and what is considered Low miles. I know that In a truck I would want something with Nothing over a 100,000 Miles. What is considered to many miles on a sportbike? Average? Low?

·
Registered
369 Posts
There are a lot of factors that play into motorcycle mileage. Mechanically, these things are capable of going a couple hundred thousand miles, but the typical new rider that buys a sportbike thrashes it and sells the bike after a couple thousand miles to dump it.

My own bike has about 32,000 miles on it, but it's in better condition than many bikes sold at 2,000 - 5,000 miles because I broke it in properly, do regular oil changes with synthetic oil, and put mostly freeway miles on it. Something that has been raced and/or stunted is something you want to avoid. And there are other things on the bike to consider than just the engine. like the condition of brakes, head bearings, and fork seals, etc... all which can give a clue to the history of the bike. If you go to look at a bike and some gray-haired Rotary club member is selling it, it's probably in good condition. If you show up and are greeted by some kid with a mohawk and tats that say "ride 2 die" on each arm, avoid it.

I won't sell my bike anytime soon, because I know I can't get cr**p for it. I'll probably ride it out past 100,000 miles, then find a buyer that wants a good bike with 100,000 miles on it for the coolness factor (so they can post "hey, I have gsxr with 100,000 miles on it, woo hoo" on the message boards.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts