Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a 96'GSXR-750. I got the stock Dunlop D-204s'. I ride my bike maybe 5 hours a month. It's more a showbike. I don't race so cosmetics come into play here. I'm torn between the d-207ZR and the Metzeler MEZ-3 steet tire ot the MEZ-4 touring. The D207 is mabe a bit better but there's that neat look to the Mezs'. Any advice is appreciated. THANKS, Ray-

------------------

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Since you say it is more a showbike, why not get the Avon "Azaros". They have a real neat tread pattern. I am disapointed however. GSXR's are not meant to be showbikes, that's what Harleys are for. ;) But to each his own

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the avons do look cool. dunlops are way cheaper.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Tires for cosmetics.. Yyyyyeeaaahhhok.

Anyway.. D207's give the best traction, I
like the look but they wear fast.

------------------
If the front wheel's in the air, Your front tire you will spare.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You can't see the tread when the tires moving. :rolleyes: Get D207 or Pirelli Dragons for looks.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
what was i thinking, it's a show bike. buy some of them shiny as hell dunlop slicks.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
582 Posts
To anyone who hasn't actually OWNED a set of Metzler, MEZ3s..Don't think they aren't a GREAT TIRE...I've had D207s and switched to Mez4s, which are the high mileage sport touring tire..I know you are thinking no grip, WELL, you're wrong!!!They freaking stick like glue AND you get alot of miles out of em..My Buddy has the dragons on his TLR, and even HE was surprised after this weekend, just how good the Metzlers are...This was FLYING through Hawks Nest and Monticello, on repeated blaster rides, back to back with us switching bikes for comparison....Don't believe all the B.S hype w/ Dunlop 207s....They ARE a great tire, but definately NOT THE BEST!!!That's a Jimmy G, unbiased comparison...You Won't be disappointed with the Metzler's...TRUST ME!!!
..............Jimmy G........................

------------------

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have never liked Dunlop for one reason, they just don't last. When I lay down $150 bucks for a tire, I want more than 2,000 miles out of it. Of all the tires I have ever put on any of my bikes, I have gotten the most out of Metzler. My mechanic always tells me Dunlop is better, but when I buy the Metzler and don't show up for 8,000 miles for a new one he does the WOW but how did it perform. Well, I'll tell you they perform almost as well as the Dunlops, better even when you consider the $450 bucks I saved in one tire change. :) If you don't ride like a racer, get the Metzler.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Good Evening Everyone-

As a sportbike pilot with 10+ years experience on various Honda CBRs, I've been running Metzeler tires almost exclusively with wonderful results.

My current selection are Metzeler MEZ3s and they're treating me very well. What I find most amazing about this brand is their ability to withstand lots of straightline highway riding, with minimal wear. Feedback is great once your enter the twisties.

Agreeing with what fellow SBW Forum members have stated, the Mezelers provide more than adequate traction while they're in a class by themselves in terms of durability.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello my fellow sportbike brothers,

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL WHO ANSWERED!! I'm also a member of 3 other sportbike forums and this is the best for feedback and GIXXER.COM is the worst. My decision is to go with the Metzeler MEZ-3s'. With the design and profile of the tire they will look fatter and I have a 190 on the rear now!! I considered the Avon Avaros but well,,from the advice above-the metzeler seems like the the tire to go with. THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME DECIDE!

Ray-

------------------

·
Registered
47 Posts
Which metzeler tire would be about the equivelant of a D207? I've not heard any bad things about metzeler but I've heard a lot of both good and bad about the 207's. I just have 204's on my bike now and have heard that they give no warning what so ever when they are getting ready to let go. I am wanting to go with something a little more agressive.

Thanks
Luke

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ive ran dunlops and Metzelers exclusively and the dunlops are great but i truly feel metz's are a better value and a great tire. Im running them now!

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Troublemaker400:
Which metzeler tire would be about the equivelant of a D207? I've not heard any bad things about metzeler but I've heard a lot of both good and bad about the 207's. I just have 204's on my bike now and have heard that they give no warning what so ever when they are getting ready to let go. I am wanting to go with something a little more agressive.

Thanks
Luke
-----------------
THANKS Luke! Ray-

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenNinja:
Ive ran dunlops and Metzelers exclusively and the dunlops are great but i truly feel metz's are a better value and a great tire. Im running them now!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Metzler's are a better value because they
are more like skateboard tires in comparison
to the D207s. If you don't ride hard than
it doesn't matter but if traction is an
important issue (meaning you break the tires
loose often when you ride) than I wouldn't
fool with the Metzlers. :)

------------------
Stylin - Profilin', Got an R1 so I'm SMILIN!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Chris,

I think you are talking about the MEZ4S...The MEZ2 and MEZ3s are softer/stickier, but don't last as long as the MEZ4s....They also are a DUAL compound, so the edges get stickier, quicker than the center tread...They also don't feather apart like the d207s or turn blue when heat cycled...I REALLY got on my bike for 3 days straight, and was not even REMOTELY disappointed with the MEZ4s performance...AND...they kick a$$ in the rain too....I don't believe that they would be as good on a smaller/lighter bike (600), but on large spacecraft, such as mine they work out REALLY WELL....I would use the MEZ3 on a smaller bike, but.....that's me!!!!
................Jimmy G....................

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Hey Jimmy - Guess you got me b/c I haven't
run a Metzler in a while. I'm so happy
with the D207, I don't even want to try
another tire. Maybe go a size down in the
rear; 190 to 180 to quicken corner entry but
other than that I'm sold on the Dunnies -
which is strange cos I use to HATE Dunlop
tires. I slide the rear ALOT so that's why
I am really into the D207s.. as stated on
another thread - I can slip the ass end alot
very predictably... Even in 3rd gear once
in a while, with the tires hot and without
having my heart in my thoat.. Now that's
saying something.. But I hear you Jimmy,
I am inbelishing a bit and I haven't run
Metzler's in 2 years now so they may be
a bit better than I am giving them credit
for. Honestly - for me, I just can't see
anything being better than the D207s.. But
then again I can't see a 929 being better
than the R1 either... :D

Chris :p :cool: :p

------------------
Stylin - Profilin', Got an R1 so I'm SMILIN!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Chris, all i can say is when was the last time you TRIED to ride on a good sport compound (not sport tour) metz and push it like you do the dunlops?

Yes, we probably all agree the dunlops are a far superior race compound (or close to it) and are much more predictable, stickier, etc. But you may be surprised at the MEZ's. We are talking about value + performance + longevity. This is where the metz has the dunlops beat.

You wont find many all out racers running MEZ's but then again, thats another topic.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think with Chris' riding style, he should "stick" :) with Dunlop. I haven't tried Dunlops in years, but the only bad thing I hear about the new ones is longevity. I hear of plenty of people breaking loose an MEZ3, but I rarely hear of people breaking loose a D207. The reason all the tires are different is because they are all looking for a particular customer. I believe Chris is Dunlop's customer, and I am Metzler's customer. It's all in how you ride man.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok,,, So I'm going with the MEZ-3. The MEZ-4 is more a touring tire right? I got a 1996 SRAD Gixxer-750. Again, I don't ride much and it's kinda a show-bike in a way. You think the MEZ3 or MEZ4?? I say the MEZ-3. The design is still wicked but there's just more tire lines on the MEZ-4. Any comments fellas? THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE SANE INPUT. You guys sound very mature compared to GIXXER.COM. Oh BTW,, any advice on nitrous oxide on a sportbike?

Chao,
Ray-my real name.
Gainesville, FLORIDA

------------------

1 - 20 of 21 Posts