Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday I got to give them a wringing on the track so here are the thoughts.

These tires warm up fast! I'm a little slow getting my gear on so I regulary had to stage somewhere near the middle of the beginner group. By the end of the fist lap I was usually in the front of the group. Front tire feedback was excellent. I was able to trail brake into the turns with confidence which was a first for me, when I'd go in on the brakes a little too deep or a tad too hard the tire would let me know it wasn't happy very nicely. Where these things really shined for me was under hard braking. I was able to consistantly pass riders on the brakes. I didn't even notice the rear tire much because never spun up out of a turn. Only once did the rear give me any grief, however it was my fault becuse I was sloppy with my downshifting.

There were a few times I messed up and upset the chassis, however the tires stayed planted well and let me recover quickly and safely. One time I turned in too soon and went over the apex curbing at full lean while hard on the gas. The bike was all out of sorts for a moment, however as i'm still here to type this the tires were able to deal with the situation well.

The wear rates were as good as I've seen out of a tire at the track. I ran 32psi up front and 34 rear. The outside temperature was about 77 with a very overcast sky so that probably helped their wear rates as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Action shot. Not very good but my wife was pretty far away from the turn. Hopefully the professional got some good shots of me.

Attachments

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Can't beat that kinda reporting :thumb: Eat your heart out, Mike Wallace :p

Thanks for the info, they'll be on my list for round two of track tires.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great writeup :thumb:

I just noticed my front Pilot Power is going balder faster than I am... Time to upgrade! A local motorsports store has CBR-sized M3's for $115 front, $148 rear. Not a bad deal although its increasing my already astronomical trackday budget.

·
Registered
227 Posts
wait till you get a chance to test them in the wet...You're going to be in love all over again. ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
poppincaps88 said:
wait till you get a chance to test them in the wet...You're going to be in love all over again. ;)
Ya know, it rained the last session of the day but I was too mentally drained to try to get out there in the wet so I called it a day.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Slightly :topic:

I always heard it was a bad sign to have the sides of your tire look like they're melted. Is that true? Too much throttle with too much lean angle was one of my guesses, not sure if it's right though. My tires look like that too and I always wondered why...

Anyone have any ideas? :dunno:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
OSUrid3r said:
I just noticed my front Pilot Power is going balder faster than I am
:laughing: I wish I could say that, ever :crying:

·
Registered
892 Posts
BOriginally posted by OSUrid3r
I just noticed my front Pilot Power is going balder faster than I am
replace blad with grey on this end :laughing:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dragging Toe FTMFW! :burnout:

(I lost a pair of boots doing that more often then I should have. Thankfully it doesn't happen anymore, I'd feel bad scuffing up my sidis.) :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
bittersweetryan said:
The tires were even able to deal with my terriable form! I'm literaly dragging toe here.
Looking good Ryan. thanks for the write up. Looks like you are tearing it up. Nice to see someone really enjoying the tires they won.

Infact I am going to make an announcement for this month's Metzelers...now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts