Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i just picked up a used graves full ti system and it has some melted shoe on the pipe right before it goes into teh can how can I get it off? thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
:laughing: Try some simple green and something to scrape it off, but not scratch the pipe... maybe a puddy knife with a piece of clotch wrapped around the blade or something.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the ti pipe I heard that if you keep oil and stuff off of it will not turn the rainbow color or a least not as soon? is that true?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anything that I should not try that might or will mess up the pipe? Thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
BLACK Z said:
Is there anything that I should not try that might or will mess up the pipe? Thanks
Obviously you didn`t pay very much for the pipe if it has melted shoe on it, so just go out and try whatever, who cares if a 3 inch part of it doesn`t turn blue when you run it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
May work...

If it'll fit... put it in the freezer for a couple of days then hit the edge of the shoe corpse with a rubber mallet or if it's a thin piece use a hard PLASTIC putty knife (Home Depot less than a $)after freezing it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing on my exhaust... All you need to do is ride around for about an hour so the exhaust will get nice and hot and take a piece of wood and scrap off the rubber..

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The wife's boot rubber melted onto the muffler of one of my bikes. Got it off with no adverse consequences. Chrome finish, so a bit different perhaps than your situation, but here is what I did:

Start with scraping, with a plastic putty knife, available at most hardware stores for under two dollars. Toluene on a rag, rub the tweetle out of the spot. Most rubber compounds are at least partially soluable in toluene. If material is not soluable in toluene, try acetone on a rag (wear nitrile rubber gloves and a respirator, acetone dries out the skin and causes severe headaches). What is left can be removed with your favorite metal polish (Flitz is good).
:2cents:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok, no one laugh,
but get out the peanut butter and a OLD credit card. It takes a little elbow grease and time. Rub the peanut butter in, scrape with credit card, more peanut butter... you get the idea....
Good Luck!
Melody

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
A good use of old credit cards. May have to try that recipe.

·
Registered
101 Posts
SmoothMensan said:
... Jiff works better than Skippy !

hmmm... never tried different brands... but maybe we should stay away from those mixtures like the jelly and peanut butter... that just freaks me out... :huh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
a guy i know melted his polyester pants on his exhasuast and he used oven cleaner to get it off, it worked looks like it never happend except his pant have a 4 in hole buy the boot

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Melody-

Vegetable oil and olive oil will both safely and gently remove petroleum-based dirt from hands without drying out your skin. It makes perfect sense that peanut butter (with the benefit of added viscosity) would work well to remove residue on metal parts.

~ Blue Jays ~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts