Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there seems to be a master of every topic on here I figured I’d ask.

I hurt my neck again. I don’t know what it’s called, or what exactly it is, but I keep straining the muscle(I think), or tendon, that runs from the bottom of my neck along my spine into my upper back. This is the 4th time I can remember this same muscle straining on the same side. It also seems to have some pretty important functions. When I turn my head to the left or right it hurts. But probably the most important function is this; lay down flat on your back, then just lift your head up using your neck muscles. After I strain this muscle, I can not physically do this. The pain is incredible.

The first time I can remember hurting it was going over a jump on my snowboard, landing on my back and causing a whiplash effect when my head snapped back. The second time was during a grappling class when someone basically dove on me and compressed my chin down to my chest. The third was in a kickboxing class and I was simply throwing elbows at a bag. And today I was lying in bed and stretching when I felt it pull again.

It seems to be happening from less and less. I’m starting to get annoyed.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how about, "what the fuck do I keep hurting", and "is there a way to stop hurting it"

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
My thoughts are to first see a chiropractor to make sure you don't have something out of whack from your snowboard incident. Muscles around a vertebra can be tight after an incident and keep pulling the vertebra back outta whack which can have lots of side effects (muscle pain, headaches, nerve tingling).

The second is to try sleeping flat (no pillow) or with one of those pillows that ergonomically fits you. Maybe you pulled a muscle and continue to aggravate it. I'll bet if you see a doc he'll give you muscle relaxants but the only way it will get better is to let it rest for a few months. That would mean none of those workouts you're doing.

But I'm not a doctor, of course, so best of luck!

FWIW, I just had that issue to a lesser extent while being sick and sleeping wrong. Went away last night.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Chiropractors are generally lumped into the "alternative medicine" category, which to me says "this shit is bogus". There is no such thing as alternative medicine. There is medicine that works, and medicine that doesn't. Anything widely considered alternative tells me it belongs in the latter category. My dad had back trouble for years and went to a number of chiroquacktors who would essentially perform the equivalent of popping your knuckles on his back, and he would feel great for a few hours, but the pain always came back. He walked hunched over and in pain for years, then finally decided to see an actual doctor. Turned out the bones near his spine were compressing part of the spinal cord causing the pain, and a relatively simple surgery to remove the excess bone fixed it. Now he walks normal and has absolutely no pain three years later. Bottom line, what the chiropractors couldn't figure out for years was quickly diagnosed and fixed by a real doctor (neurosurgeon with a practice in orthopedics and spinal surgery).

Go see a real doctor, before some quack does more damage.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
As an anecdotal response, my wife saw one regularly for two weeks after a car crash in which she had some neck soreness issues from minor whiplash. The therapies helped her recovery fully.

Chiros are undoubtedly controversial and not AMA-approved.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
My guess is she would have gotten better on her own anyway, but who knows. I'm against them simply because of the lack of evidence supporting it as a valid therapy. Also, their idiotic stands against vaccination don't help their cause (they are against it because some of them actually believe that all disease is caused by issues with the spine instead of viruses, bacteria, etc.).

I'd say in general if it seems to help, maybe it's worth doing (even if it is simply a placebo effect), but with someone mucking around with your spine there is just too much room for error and further damage. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Gotta side with Spicer on this one. My wife had gone to various chiropractors since before we met and she convinced me to go. I did for a while and noticed no difference in the symptoms he claimed he could correct. I quit going after he injured me and claimed it was an old injury coming to the surface. When I told him I had never felt the kind of pain I was feeling now, he told me I'd just forgotten.

I finally convinced my wife to quit going after I pointed out that she had gone for years and still had back problems, while I never went and never had back problems. Her back has gotten better since she quit.

The thing that chiropractic is missing is clinical evidence. Anything that works is able to be proven with a clinical trial. I've looked for clinical evidence on chiropractic and never found it. Could you imagine if the FDA approved drugs based purely on anecdotal evidence, like chiropractic wants you to accept?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
the problem is caused by bowing down to the wifes will....stand up straight son and dont get whipped

:moon:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the problem is caused by bowing down to the wifes will....stand up straight son and dont get whipped

:moon:
Those are the words of a beaten man.

·
Registered
272 Posts
tippy, sounds like you either pulled or strained your trapezius muscle ("traps" for short) I hope you can get yourself all fixed up soon, all the best mate:cheers:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I will be the FIRST to say that some chiropractors are quacks, frauds, and liars. I will also be the first to say that some are truly miracle workers. It takes a lot of time and patience to find one that matches your needs and outlook on life. Not all chiropractors think that juice and meditation will fix all that ails you.

I used to have TMJ that was so bad I couldn't even open my mouth fully. I couldn't eat anything solid because the pain from chewing was so intense. The first chiropractor I went to for my TMJ pain actually damaged my spine and made my back worse. If I had my druthers, his ass would have been sued for ruining my life at the age of 16.

On a whim, I went to another chiropractor in hopes that they might not be a fraud. The man managed to find the underlying cause for my TMJ instead of trying to just treat the symptoms. After 3 or 4 months of intense therapy, I now rarely experience symptoms, and when I do, one visit is enough to correct the issue for usually about a year. I've been going to the same chiropractor for 7 or 8 years now. He has helped my knees (which are in horrible shape from being a figure skater for 10 years), he has helped me when I've thrown my back out (which I managed to do yesterday cleaning my house) and he also helps me when I get migraines so I don't have to stay doped up on drugs all the time. Oh, and I almost forgot when I sprained my rotator cuff from trying to catch a falling motorcycle. My shoulder doesn't click anymore! That's not to say that he doesn't know that "real" doctors serve a purpose - he knows his limitations.

My chiropractor is in Peters Twp and I can't say enough kind words about what he has done for me. If you want his address and phone number, send me a PM or reply back and I'll give you all his info. He's also a certified personal trainer so he can help you design workouts that will help get you back into shape after you've healed. :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My chiropractor is in Peters Twp and I can't say enough kind words about what he has done for me. If you want his address and phone number, send me a PM or reply back and I'll give you all his info. He's also a certified personal trainer so he can help you design workouts that will help get you back into shape after you've healed. :)
PM on the way.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Hey, wait a minute!

Get that little, Asian wife of yours to do that walking-on-back massage therapy. That duty was in your vows, right?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, wait a minute!

Get that little, Asian wife of yours to do that walking-on-back massage therapy. That duty was in your vows, right?
Not quite. White wife, asian girlfriend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts