Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning and went into the garage to start my 2000 Ducati 748 (with 13,000 of my miles on it) and the damn thing wouldn't start. The lights are on, the battery is charged, and yes the kickstand is up...so what's up? It won't make a sound! A buddy of mine said it sounded like a valve was completely stuck causing the motor not to turn over. I'm afraid the whole motor is locked up. Can someone help me out and tell me what the deal is and how much it'll cost to fix? Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
HUS said:
I woke up this morning and went into the garage to start my 2000 Ducati 748 (with 13,000 of my miles on it) and the damn thing wouldn't start. The lights are on, the battery is charged, and yes the kickstand is up...so what's up? It won't make a sound! A buddy of mine said it sounded like a valve was completely stuck causing the motor not to turn over. I'm afraid the whole motor is locked up. Can someone help me out and tell me what the deal is and how much it'll cost to fix? Thanks
Do you even hear the starter click or any relay sounds? If not, it sound more like your starter is not engaging than an engine problem. I'd have said maybe a defective kill switch except you said the lights come on. The presents or absents of sounds would say a lot.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
This may be stupid to ask, but have you checked that the switch on the kickstand works properly? For some reason I think someone had this problem with a Duc a while back. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Is the starter switch on the right hand bar in the "on" position?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Try to fire up the bike by jump starting it from the cage. If that works then good chance the battery needs a charging. The cold weather, slow runs at lower revs, & constant starting will be hard on the battery. True even with a defunt battery lights will come on, horn works & such.

Hope it is something simple rather then a wire that is shorting for now adays they are hard to trace & correct.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK

I got home last night and tried fooling with it. The only thing I heard was the clicking sound everytime I pushed the ignition button. I'm not really up to par on electrical systems on bikes but I traced the sound to what looks like to me to be a solenoid switch. I'm not sure. I took it off and cleaned the connections thinking that maybe it had gotten corroded. I put back on and the same thing happened...just clicking. Suggestions?

·
Registered
860 Posts
if youre hearing clicking thats good...b/c if you werent it could mean big trouble and a whole load of problems heres what you do....
1. make sure your battery is putting out correct voltage. take it out bring it to your local dealer and get them to test it..very important.
2. hit the start buttin again, if it still clicks and doesnt turn the engine over do this. find the silenoid. it will have two larger post on it...one from battery on to starter motor.. touch both together with a screwdriver with a insulated grip (rubber foam etc)
3. while doing this if the starter engages and engine turns over...replace selynoid...if not you will 9 out of 10 need a new starter.
4. if step 3 produces a replacement starter situation....check make sure all the wires gonig to the starting system have handle the corect voltage and none are broken before you go out and spend that kind of money.

i hope this helps
case

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot. I'll run through the steps when I get home this afternoon.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Still before you haul the battery off to the dealer who says "Sorry but the battery is simply shot & cannot hold a charge ---- now we have a new one at $-------". Which is the move on any shop to just a battery that is run down.

So try jump starting it from you cage. if that works THEN it needs to be changed up. Note my post above.

Allow me to suggest that since you, like most of us, have an electric only starting m/c then get yourself a decent Battery Tender (avaliabe on the 'net or many m/c shops & is aimed at SMALL batteries in our m/cs, lawn mowers, generators, boats, etc--Battery Tender is a trade name & not just a trickle charger with 4 to 6 amp---this is 1.25amp with auto shut-off & storage system) for this will come into being useful even in the hot summer days of short runs & constant starting with latter being the worst drain on the battery while short runs do not give the bike time to charge up battery.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
What Smitty said.:thumb: :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Guys

I forgot to mention that I have a battery tender and the bike has been plugged into it for the past 3 days. Headlights are as bright as ever and the fuel pump cuts on when the kickstand is put up. But still just the clicking sound in the solenoid. I'm on my way home from work in about 10 minutes so I'll work on it then and update you in the morning. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Find the terminals for the starter and take a volt ohmmeter, see what the DC voltage reading is across those terminals. If it is zero with the start switch on, and you hear clicking from the solenoid, then you need to check to see if the bike has a starter cutout switch, which would be between the solenoid and the starter, and check to see if there is voltage going into that unit. If it is not closed, you need to look at a wiring diagram to see what is switching it on and off, check that, and if that is working then the cutout switch needs to be replaced.:cool:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As soon as I got home from work yesterday, I got called right back out....so I didn't get to do anything to the bike yesterday, but today is Friday and I've taken myself off-call all weekend. I should get it fixed!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, didn't get it fixed. Somebody walk me through the steps of removing the starter on this thing. :confused:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
First, do you have a volt-ohm meter? Testing some things would be smart before you go taking out the starter.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tested starter, starter is bad. Now, how do I remove it?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Remove the positive terminal of battery. Remove the lower fairing. Starter should be mounted on top of gearbox, by (usually) two bolts, probably 8 or 10 mm head. If you have a V-Max or a Venture, the starter should be at the front of the engine below the front two cylinders. Some twins could have it there too. The wire going into the starter can be disconnected (it goes to the starter relay or solenoid). Depending on how the manufacturer mounted the starter, you may or may not have to work it out due to the o-ring seal where it enters the gearbox. When re-installing the new one, place a small bit of oil on the o-ring ( a new o-ring is recommended, but if the old one is in good condition and you can't wait, you can use the old one).

Probably one of the easiest parts to remove on a bike. You can have the starter rebuilt for less than a new one. Take it to a good auto electric shop and they can assess the condition and advise on rebuilding. My choice is to rebuild, and I have an elctrical shop I trust to do it.

How was the starter tested?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts