Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 86’ Spree will start up, let me drive it for about 30-60 seconds and then it stalls out even if I'm at full throttle. I’ve tried a few things and will list them, but I’m hoping someone has experience with these darn things.

Before purchase:
Sat for 2 years
Gas tank had rust in it
Battery was dead
Former owner said a shop told him it need a new oil pump

After purchase:
I ignored what he said and still put in gas, added a battery charger, and the thing fired up. Satisfied that it had enough potential to run, I got a new oil pump and gas tank. Next, I pulled off the carb and cleaned out the bottom bowl and one jet…the only apparent one that could be unscrewed and cleaned. I removed the existing and very-very dirt air filter and the fun began….

The moped started up, but died after a few minutes. To restart the moped and run it for 30-60 seconds, I have to do the following routine to get it restarted
1.) Remove the spark plug and clean it. It usually has an oily
residue
2.) Remove the carb and drain the bowl.
3.) Charge the battery


So, at least at the start of each ride, the engine is getting fuel, it has great spark, and with no air filter, it is getting plenty of air.
My questions…
1.) If the battery is charged enough to start up and run the
moped, would that really be an issue with keeping it running ?
2.) Should anything else be done to the carb?
3.) Short of parting it out or selling it to Almightys for a dollar,
what should I do next?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
to much oil? adjustment for the oil pump?

Starved for gas? runs until float bowl dries up then dies...
fuel supply or vent for gas tank clooged causing vapor lock?

Why does the batt need charging between starts? new batt needed? or problem with charging system?


those are my initial thoughts not being there or knowing that much about it

mb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Clean out the gas tank and carb again. put on NEW fuel lines and should prolly work for you. Make sure to clean all the jets in the carb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
too rich too much oil, or bad rings due to high mileage fowling out plug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Do you have a good ground on the battery? I've seen bikes die completely because of a bad ground to the battery; the fuel pump won't engage, relays won't "click", and none of the electronics will turn on.
If the gas tank had rust in it, I don't see why your ground couldn't be corroded as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Needs rings dude...Do a compression test, your about 50psi to low
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
2E1gixxer said:
Do you have a good ground on the battery? I've seen bikes die completely because of a bad ground to the battery; the fuel pump won't engage, relays won't "click", and none of the electronics will turn on.
If the gas tank had rust in it, I don't see why your ground couldn't be corroded as well.
Who is this guy?

I have a feeling this guy has absolutly know idea what he is talking about.

Disreguard what he said, go with bogger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
OPP said:
So, at least at the start of each ride, the engine is getting fuel, it has great spark, and with no air filter, it is getting plenty of air.
Maybe too much air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Change the powerband... I have a green and yellow spare I'll sell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
hellsnat said:
Who is this guy?

I have a feeling this guy has absolutly know idea what he is talking about.

Disreguard what he said, go with bogger.
Who pulled your string...smurfette??? How about you get back to doing what you do best - writing papers and brewing beer :twofinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
2E1gixxer said:
Who pulled your string...smurfette??? How about you get back to doing what you do best - writing papers and brewing beer :twofinger
Week I tell ya, week.

I expected so much more.

but I guess your a bit rusty.

I'll let you slide this time. :twofinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
hellsnat said:
Week I tell ya, week.

I expected so much more.

but I guess your a bit rusty.

I'll let you slide this time. :twofinger
Yeah, I should of thought about a a better rebuttal during the day. Give me some time and we'll be back at it, just like the old days :moon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
hellsnat said:
Week I tell ya, week.

I expected so much more.

but I guess your a bit rusty.

I'll let you slide this time. :twofinger

Hope you have a spell checker while writing those papers!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top