Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at buying a small SUV. I live in Pennsylvania, so something 4 wheel drive is a must. My chick and I also do a lot of camping, so again it would be nice to have the versatility of an SUV. Finally, I need something I can throw my kayak on or take hunting. A 4 cyl would tow my motorcycle trailer with ease.

I was looking at a Jeep Compass. It’s a 4 cylinder. Not much power, but I don’t need much either. I’d rather sacrifice a bit of power for higher mpg. So I built what I want online, and it’s about $21,000. I’ve heard for years that smart people don’t pay sticker price. So how do you get it for cheaper? Is it something that’s always done, or do you have to know what you’re doing?

Anyone know of any good alternatives to the Compass? Perhaps something a bit cheaper?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Go to Edmunds.com. They list the invoice prices of most cars sold in the U.S., plus the true market value that people are actually paying. Be sure to read "Confessions of a Car Salesman" down at the bottom RH corner on their home page. It will tell about all the tricks dealers use to make more money off you.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I was in a spot latter part of January '06 when my 15 yr old Mazda 2600 4X4 truck crapped out on me. It was in prime shape, original paint, no scratches, box thick rubber lined, f/glass drop top & such.

I had in mind another year or two & then would start to look around. The Circuit board had frapped & not avaliable anywhere.

So on Feb 6th I was driving my Subaru 'Forester' 2500X meaning the lowest priced stick shift mini-SUV all-wheel drive four pot, but then my Mazda had been four pots. Seemed to do well last winter considering all the snow we had, best of tracion on the icy roads to the tough narrow road up to the gun range. A lot of Subaru Forester people rave about them, to me the only thing I did was pay for undercoating & dumped the so called all season tyres for decent SNOW TYRES & will use them all year around as the wear is not that great, but when needed it pays off.

Lots of room once I fold down the seats behind me that cover the material in my Mazda truck. I only used a f/glass drop top on my truck so I could see behind me when backing up for a canopy is all covered with wet or dry mud. Besides I like the advantage of the rear window washer/wiper.

Like all modern cages it has to many stock things I do not like such as electric windows, automatic child safety equipment---he I am a bachelor & rarely even carry an adult passenger, alarm system, flood lights, dome lights & other things, but I see this is common stuff & not like my old '90 Mazda. Christ it even has an air conditioner & a stupid cruise control for in this terrian you rarely find a road a 1/2 mile long & straight.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Honda CRV :thumb:

·
Registered
227 Posts
kanwisch said:
Honda CRV :thumb:
A friend of mine has one and absolutely loves it. The Rav4 is another option but it's a little wimpy for an SUV even though Honda beefed up the new ones.

Are you only looking to buy new? If you've got a car savvy friend to give a used car a look over, you can really pick up some great deals on the used market. Let somebody else deal with the instant depreciation after driving it off the lot. :2cents:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
The CRV and Rav4, technically, are ALL wheel drives, not FOUR wheel drives. There's no High / Low range and they don't have a 2WD mode. I think the Suby's are the same.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Smitty said:

Subaru 'Forester' 2500X

+1 If my Forester wasn't a lemon, I'd love the damn thing to bits. You can't argue with 27mpg highway, and I average about 22-23 city. Mine is a stick, so I might get a little better than average, but it's not half bad, considering the car is shaped like a brick. ;)

I am just about the only person I've ever spoken with that has ever had any problems with their Subaru, so don't let my "lemon" comment worry you.

Edit: Because the PA market has so many Subarus, you can pick one up for relatively cheap. I bought my 2005 in September of 05 as a used model with only 5975 on the clock for under $17k.

·
Registered
447 Posts
there are a lot of good suv's out there, not sure if you want new or used. the hyundai santa Fe not bad good warrenty, mitsubishi outlander is great and offers both a 4 or 6 cyl and is awd with a high and low range. the toyotas have a few good ones but they tend to be a bit pricy and hondas are good to but pricy also. nissan makes a few good ones the xterra is nice and so is the pathfinder. I would not recommend a domestic made one because they have the worst warrenty and have the most problems that i have seen. just my :2cents: and experance in the auto business.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fast is ok, but it's an SUV. I'm not looking to go that fast. If i want to speed I'll take the bike out. I'd rather get something that is very reliable and gets good MPG.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Tippmann said:
Fast is ok, but it's an SUV. I'm not looking to go that fast. If i want to speed I'll take the bike out. I'd rather get something that is very reliable and gets good MPG.
The XT (turbo forester) is WICKED fast, but I can still beat the crap out of my X (as basic as it gets for the forester) and it comes back for more. The AWD sticks to the road, so when I am stuck driving to DC for work I can BLAST through the Chesapeake Bay Watershed on the Turnpike at a nice lil clip and have no worries other than cops.

Like I said, I'm the only person I know that has ever had problems with their Subaru like I have. Heck, the part that goes bad on mine isn't even stocked at dealerships b/c no one but me ever needs one... and at that, it's just the coil that keeps cracking - not even something "dangerous"

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
saturntangerine said:
The XT (turbo forester) is WICKED fast, but I can still beat the crap out of my X (as basic as it gets for the forester) and it comes back for more. The AWD sticks to the road, so when I am stuck driving to DC for work I can BLAST through the Chesapeake Bay Watershed on the Turnpike at a nice lil clip and have no worries other than cops.

Like I said, I'm the only person I know that has ever had problems with their Subaru like I have. Heck, the part that goes bad on mine isn't even stocked at dealerships b/c no one but me ever needs one... and at that, it's just the coil that keeps cracking - not even something "dangerous"
If its happened more than once, you have some other issue causing it. Any good dealer would have suggested that possibility but if its under warranty still now's the time to get them to find out the real cause. Good luck :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts