Sportbike World banner

do it yourself or couldn't be bothered trans in your cage

• Nothing but sticks for me. You know they're a metaphor for manhood??? :)

Votes: 78 78.8%
  • Automatics are the best, better dial-in's, easier in the city...

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • i don't care. Whatever comes in the cage I want.

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Above got me to thinking about my parents of which both started driving at 14 yrs of age meaning my Father in 1914 & Mother in 1922 & they both continued on into their 80s with manual cog boxes---passed away never driving an auto tranny. Little wonder that is was only natural for me to use manual cog box since 1945.
Of interest my Father only had one accident in that when parked a truck hit his '28 Sport Studabaker bt just a minor ding in the mudguad, while my Mother was out for a drivers license test & some twit tried to run the amber light only had to back up & with a car behind her there was nothing my Mother could do bar hit the horn till he bumped into her WITH the inspecter in the passenger seat!!
I would say that is quite a SAFE DRIVING record these two had in their 65+ yrs of driving.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I prefer a stick if it's a sports car or something that puts the car in that type of category (with the muscle to back it up).. but If i'm driving like a 740i or something, i'd prefer an automatic.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Most people who enjoy the act of driving prefer using the stick.
I'm one of them.

I've owned 2 automatics in the last 24 years. Both have gone through 2 tranmissions.

In addition, I always use small cars for work, and I couldn't stand to be in a 3 cyl. automatic Sprint, it's slow enough already.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stick is the prefered mode. Auto is okay on rent cars or anything with more than two doors. Grew up drivinng a shift and will go out that way unless the ole left leg gives out first. 'sides, a sports car with an auto ain't no sports car, i.m.h.o.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
In most cases I prefer stick.

However, when I dragraced and ran a few old muscle cars on the street, I stuck with automatics. Autos just suit those applications much more and with a manual valve body you get back some of the control you lost. A 4-speed just isn't effective or effecient in a 400-600hp car that's built to go in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
. also in a pick-up truck, they have never made a stick that can handle the load that and automatic can.
I can't vouch for that. Where I used to work, we had a fleet of Ford Super-Dutys (250-550) and the automatics crapped out on a regular basis and did NOT handle the stresses of heavy towing and snow plowing anywhere near as good as the sticks. I could just feel the auto's burning up when towing 14,000lbs of excavator, while with a stick (with a low first gear) it didn't flinch. Most heavy trucks are manuals for a reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No compromise

Manual all the way...in Europe you hardly see any autos....they're for grannies...seriously though it does not matter what you drive or how you drive it, how can you possibly ever consider an auto...it takes the driving out of driving....no wonder people fall asleep at the wheel....my my....sorry but I feel strongly about this one...I detest automatics!!

Even my scooter has 4 gears and a clutch...that's right it's a Vespa and even though it's my cruise machine it still picks up better than most cars....at modest speeds ofcourse!

Laters

·
Registered
105 Posts
oldgixer said:
In addition, I always use small cars for work, and I couldn't stand to be in a 3 cyl. automatic Sprint, it's slow enough already.
Whats wrong with a 3 Cyl Sprint. That car was the sh!t. Manual 3 cylinder. We beat the hell out of that thing. Only problem we had with it was a broken clutch cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it's been over a year since the last post

but

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 5 spd Manual

Manual can go in EVERYTHING

·
Registered
460 Posts
LMAO 01EdgeRanger Read though this hole post just find you brong it up from over a year ago. haha.

Well since I Read I'm going to thow my two sence in.

My First Truck was an auto. Reason I was 16 and it was giving to me. How ever I took my DL test on a stick and passed and ever since my frist truck I have owned a stick. My current truck I had to drive over a 100 miles to find the truck I wanted with a stick.
01 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0 SOHC Extended cab. 5 speed stick.

Also I think people that at drive a stick Are better drivers, they are more aware of what is going on around them. Thend to look for problems in there car/truck while driving. And have a better sense of something going wrong, then with an auto.

Y2K1 6R. You think haveing an auto to offroad in is better??? :confused:

·
Registered
425 Posts
:2cents: EIGHT months later

In fourteen years have only owned one slushbox. It had to be done. I restored a 1969 Benz that was a steal and turned into a nice profit maker. Since then all 5 speeds. Only one regret. After an unfortunate collision with a Jeep driving my Alfa spider sucked. Broken collarbone and bruised up legs didn't help in such a small car. At least it was only for 5 months.
Got a Accord coupe with a stick now.

thinking about a RX-8 but the local dealers order heavy in auto boxes for them. Might have to order one. Bastids.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
MADBUSA2002 said:

thinking about a RX-8 but the local dealers order heavy in auto boxes for them. Might have to order one. Bastids.
I thought I heard the auto version of the RX-8 is detuned for the slushbox. Forget where I heard that, but I think there may have even been a lawsuit regarding them adverstising the same power as the manual. I'd look into it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yep. Just Googled it. The automatic is down almost 40 horsepower from the 6-speed.:eek:

Why you'd want to buy this car with anything but a stick I have no idea. If I couldn't get it with a manual, I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I only drive stick. I had a 98 VW GTI that developed the famous self-machining tranny syndrome (common with VW gear boxes), and at about 33,000 miles, my transmission blew up, while doing only 55 in 5th down the freeway. My engine compartment caught on fire, and I couldn't drive the thing, obviously. I had bought the car new, and I won't do that again. Used cars for me... wait and let the original owner deal with manufacturing defects. Then buy it for a steal, fix it a bit and run it into the ground. With a manual tranny all the way.

-J

·
Registered
4 Posts
right now I drive an '04 Mustang GT with the 3650 5-speed manual, wouldn't have it any other way. Actually, any car I get would probably be a manual, especially if it's a 3 series :D

In a full size truck, I prefer an auto. Small trucks with a 4 or 6 cylinder, I like the manual to keep them high in the power band easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my car we have both..... In a GS 400 you have a shiftable auto. so I guess i have the best of both worlds...:thumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would prefer a manual transmission but my current vehicle ('04 Lincoln LS) isn't offered with one anymore (Ford nix'd that option in '03). I've had manual's before ('02 Camaro Z28/'99 Camaro Z28), but I choose the tranny by the type of vehicle I'm looking at. For instance, I no longer will buy a pick-up with a manual tranny (had an '92 Ford F150 with a 5-speed, oh what a clutch), but I most certainly would buy a 'Vette with a manual.

I wonder if the rising cost of gasoline will offset the percentage in any shape or form?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts