Sportbike World banner

do it yourself or couldn't be bothered trans in your cage

• Nothing but sticks for me. You know they're a metaphor for manhood??? :)

Votes: 78 78.8%
  • Automatics are the best, better dial-in's, easier in the city...

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • i don't care. Whatever comes in the cage I want.

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
the zf-6 speed is a t-56 turned around and beefed, thats all, and I had my t/a running low 13's/high 12's and my 700r4 is still going strong at 140k, of coarse if you have no clue how to drive or how to build it, then it will blow up, but if you use it like it was meant and do proper mainenence on then then yes they last a while, and it is still being used in almost every rear wheel drive car/truck gm makes because it is strong, the only changes they really made from the 87-93 tranny is it is now electronically shifter

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Okay Tranny man, Let me get your opinion on another tranny?

My dad and I are building a 67 Firebird 400 convertible. I scored a pro built engine turning about 450 Hp. Got that hooked up to a Muncie M-22, that was custom rebuilt by guy who specializes in racing trannies. After that is a custome built and balance driveshaft, with a custom built and balanced 3.55:1 Posi rear.

Whats your opinion on the M-22?

·
Registered
866 Posts
from what I know the old school munci's were great trannys, a little hard on the wrist but still very well built.
to be perfectly honest we never even used a 4-speed on our cars we usually used a richmond gear 6-speeds because they are so easy to throw in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
the zf-6 speed is a t-56 turned around and beefed, thats all, and I had my t/a running low 13's/high 12's and my 700r4 is still going strong at 140k, of coarse if you have no clue how to drive or how to build it, then it will blow up, but if you use it like it was meant and do proper mainenence on then then yes they last a while, and it is still being used in almost every rear wheel drive car/truck gm makes because it is strong, the only changes they really made from the 87-93 tranny is it is now electronically shifter
My old Vette was running high-mid 11's. Everyone I know making that kind of power has grenaded 700R4's. My last 4 had Trans-Go kits, kevlar clutches and hardened parts.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Personally have used manual shifts---

---for these 56 yrs of driving. True at time when handed a company truck they were often with an auto cog box, but they knew I was one of the few at home with manual shifting.
Crumbs my late-Mother drove a lovely little Mazda 323 hatchback with stick shift right to her 86th yr & that old gal shifted like a pro.
Problem with so many shot auto-cog boxes is they leak oil like mad & there is a Red/Green light for a left turn off the hwy into my town ----it is saturated with auto tranny oil as so many old people in this town are auto people & so are most company trucks.
Fact is on Tuesday I rolled to that stop only there was a massive pool of fresh tranny oil & the bike slide off to the left while my put down right foot shot off to the right & then I was off the bike & both feet going like mad to try & keep the bike upright & move it back, without dropping it. I am still suffering over the strain to my back in the struggle to keep my 929 & self upright. I even checked the tranny oil & it was so fresh I could hardly believe it.
Made contact with the RCMP, they came out checked, agreed & then started to make contacts to have the above corrected, with hope they could spot who was leaking oil like mad. To-day they were out at a four-way crossing looking as cages stopped & pulling some over --- yes they were going after the leakers & according to a Constable I know very well over 90% were auto tannies!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Oh yes I have a '91 Mazda 4X4 with a five speed stick shift. It does not drop a spot of oil, otherwise it would show in my carport.
The oil leaks I must clean up on my driveway are from those of others with most having auto-cog boxes & some are offended as they claim the tranny was just worked on, but there is the fresh pool of oil on my clean driveway UNDER their dripping cage ---- they have no other way, but to admit it & from that point on none will drive their vehicle on my driveway other then those 100% sure their cages do NOT drip oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my truck I went with a slush box for ease of use off road and knowingthat it would be easier to drive if I was injured. Paid off about 3 years after buying when I broke my ankle. Would have been hell a hard to shift with only one foot.

Matt

·
Registered
105 Posts
lets see..

91 Camaro RS w/305...Stick

97 Ranger X-cab ...Stick

93 Mustang LX Notchback 5.0....Stick

96 Talon TSI AWD ..... Stick

97 S-10.... Stick.

See a pattern here....:D

2001 GMC Jimmy... AUTO :crying: well its kinda sorty mine. We got it for the wife and baby on the way.
With all thats going on with me (marrage and baby) She's letting me keep the bike, so im not gonna complain about it being AUTO.

Cool thing it I got the '01 Jimmy w/10,000 miles for $13,500 <---definitly not gonna complain

·
Registered
544 Posts
No matter what type of car/truck it is, I want it to be stick.
Had a 5 speed RAV4 - loved it. I'm carless right now, but I go to drive my mom's grand am gt and I can't stand it - bc it's automatic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Knock, knock....Is the tranny man in??

I've got an '89 Firebird Formula with the th700r4 and it's decided to crap out on me. In town it will seldem upshift to second gear, forcing me to drive 35 at 3500rpm. If I step on it, it will shift at redline through all the gears, and it feels fine but as soon as I slow down it downshifts way too much and I end up in 1st again. Any suggestions? Is this fixable or should I just be looking for a junkyard tranny to toss in the car? Oh, the engine is just the 305TBI with no mods, so it doesn't have crazy power or anything.

Thanks for any replys,
FrankieG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Learned how to drive on stick, new truck is a stick, everything will always BE a stick. Just seems natural, more fun, etc.

That being said, I hope a lot of my friends drive autos...cause theyre much easier to drive when banged up from one injury or another...driving a manual with a 2nd degree AC shoulder separation was NOT fun!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I prefer sticks, but when I leased my truck I got a better deal on one that had an automatic. I have since learned that when off road, an automatic trans is better at climbing hills, especially in the sand.

·
Registered
96 Posts
FrankieG said:
Knock, knock....Is the tranny man in??

I've got an '89 Firebird Formula with the th700r4 and it's decided to crap out on me. In town it will seldem upshift to second gear, forcing me to drive 35 at 3500rpm. If I step on it, it will shift at redline through all the gears, and it feels fine but as soon as I slow down it downshifts way too much and I end up in 1st again. Any suggestions? Is this fixable or should I just be looking for a junkyard tranny to toss in the car? Oh, the engine is just the 305TBI with no mods, so it doesn't have crazy power or anything.

Thanks for any replys,
FrankieG
Try adjusting your TV cable by doing the following:

Have someone sit in the car and put the gas pedal on the floor. Press the release tab on the TV cable, and pull it tight as you can. Release the locking tab, let off the gas, and you're done. The TV Cable should now be at full pull at WOT.

·
Registered
100 Posts
stick stick and always will drive stick....i dont like sitting there idle, when i drive an auto i always find myself reaching down to chg gears, but duh don't have to... the only auto i'd drive would be an SUV or a truck, but i'd have to have a car with a stick to balance it out, ya know?

i drive a vw golf :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree..kind of...

HondaNut! said:
Manuals transmissions are for Bike and Sports cars only IMO.

My truck is an Auto. and thats the easiest way to tow... I've tried using a stick on a slippery launch ramp and it SUCKS.
I prefer manual over auto any day, in a car. It doesn't have to be a high performance sport, just any car. Whether in the city or in highway traffic, I like to be in control of the gears. There have been several times, even in the Durango, when I've wanted/needed to downshift, but have had to wait for the auto to kick in at some critical times (weather, road conditions, passing etc.).

Manual on a bike goes without saying. But I do agree that auto on a truck is the best. Though it lags in acceleration a bit, for towing and slick ramps...you're right! Slippery launch ramps, and roll-backs on an incline in the mud, or ice/snow in traffic is definitely the WORST! I know it can happen in a car, as well, but (for me) cars are more responsive and more flexible than an SUV or truck. So....in a car? Gimme a stick! What's more fun than getting 4th gear scratch or clutchess shifting?? (Is there such thing as a "cage squid"?:D ) I'm sorry, but...manuals are FUN!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Re: I agree..kind of...

UndrTkrCd said:

(Is there such thing as a "cage squid"?:D ) I'm sorry, but...manuals are FUN!!!
I prefer to call the "cage squid" a "ricer boy" because most of them tend to drive Honduhs and other such cheap imports. ;) Just a tendancy, so no one gets all bent out of shape. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Automatic transmission? WTF is that?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Damn, Neko....

right after we get done with this tranny conversation, the tranny in my dad's 96 GMC 3500 takes a dump. I think its the 700R4 tranny. Locked itself in 2nd. 1800 bucks to have it rebuilt. I'll take manual trans ANY DAY!!!! Auto trannys suck. They are so damn fragile.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts