Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm have been enjoying my new 06' V-strom immensely....So today it was nice out after work and I went out for a ride...just a quarter-mile fromn my house on my return trip...this asshole comes barreling out from the side street, blowing through the stop sign and turns/cuts RIGHT in front of me......he was making a left so basically he turned into me. I slammed on my brakes, i couldnt swerve as thier was oncoming traffic in the next lane. (its just a two lane road). so i did mess up a little, i grabbed too much front brake, not enough rear. But turns out it didnt matter, the dude didnt stop untill he rammed my front tire. so bike hits his front side, i go skidding over the hood and whomp onto the street.

I lay there for a few seconds, getting my bearings, wiggling my toes, fingers, seeing if anything is well , really bad. I get up, my ankle hurts, my knee hurts, my chest really hurts as it took most of the force of the hood. and this idiot with his lard ass girlfriend as the nerve to NOT EVEN GET OUT OF THE CAR. and then ask if i'm ok.

SIGH.

anyways, cops come. he gets a ticket for failure to stop, failure to yield right of way and something about hitting somebody. (me)

THe Strom is looking ugly, but this bitch appears like it can take a beating. the frame is cool. the front fender is a bit dinged, my left turn signal is gone, the left side frame cover is all gouged to hell, and the little below it is cracked. my left foot peg is bent to crap. and the clutch lever appears to be tilited down a few inches.

i'm ok. just some bad bad rroad rash, and some swollen knees, ankles and elbows.

i called my insurance already and made a claim. adjuster will be at my dealership on monday. any advice?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hey, glad to hear you're ok. You're very, very lucky in terms of making out of it relatively well. But you're unlucky in the sense that asshole was there to ruin it for you. Isn't there law over there like attempted vehicular manslaughter with deadly weapon? I mean shit, a rider here (FL) gets jailed 30 years here for a hot pursuit where the officer's car loses control and killed in the process, and here someone tries to take your life, all he gets is a slap in the wrist and traffic ticket fine. WTF? Traffic laws for motorcyclists are just plain disgusting.

·
Registered
892 Posts
man, glad to hear your ok. i take it your gear is trashed or u werent wearing much...i'm the same way...i dont change my ways until shit happens. luckily i got my fair share of road rash on my regular pedal bike and always wear gear.

but ya i believe that the vehicular manslaughter thing is something worth looking into....and u know what sue his insurance for all their worth! u deserve it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I saw you wrote that you made a claim on your own insurance? Isn't it his fault since he ran the stop sign? Also according to my instructor, in Florida atleast, any motorcycle accident with a car is considered the driver's fault...sounds weird but this is Florida...?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
FloridaMx5 said:
I saw you wrote that you made a claim on your own insurance? Isn't it his fault since he ran the stop sign?...
It works like this: You go to your insurance mob, then they chase the other party or their insurance mob. If you're not at fault, it won't affect your premium at all.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Cookeetree is right on the money. Your insurance company will pursue the the other driver's insurance company for the money. The police report will clearly illustrate who was right and who was wrong.

As far as the "attempted vehicular manslaughter" and all that nonsense...it was an accident caused by a knucklehead in a cage. Does anyone really want to go so far as to say that the cage driver was trying to intentionally kill the motorcyclist? Let's fight the real battles we can win as riders rather than lining the pockets of some shyster liar, I mean, lawyer.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
And what battle is that?? And how do we fight it? Should we sing "why can't we be friends" all day long?

I admit I did say that out of frustration and exaggeration, but if cagers can lie all the time, why not us? It gets tiring to see riders fall while these idiots get slap in the wrist, and no one does anything about it. What is considered a usual fender bender could mean death on a motorcycle. We ride knowing these risks, but we certainly shouldn't accept it.

I am a cager too, but I use my eyes when I merge into traffic. There really is no excuse for distraction, and people should pay for their actions. Traffic ticket and raising the premium is not enough for a moron who almost killed someone for his indiscretions.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
If you need medical attention due to your injuries, his insurance should be paying for that, along with the damages to your, and gear if any..Go see a doctor, just to be certian that your o.k.

Also, re: the frame, there's no way to tell if it's not bent, that can only be done through measurring it..

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
JBaz said:
^ good example was the recent politican who killed a harley rider after running through a stop

Yeah, that dirt bag was super high, and he acquired the high doses of "medications" legally.

Pretty soon, we ought to become vigilante bikers. :D

A friend of mine in Australia was riding with his then fiance on his sportbike, and a suv pulled over and sideswiped him, then decided to pretend he didn't notice and made a run for it. Both him and his fiance were ejected up in the air. Luckily, no one ran them over, and they were wearing full gears. After he checked on his girlfriend and made sure she was alright, he picked up the bike and went chasing after the SUV. SUV eventually slowed down because of traffic, and when he caught it, he jammed his bike on driver side door and confronted the driver. Before the driver could protest, he clocked two punches right on the douche's face with his kevlar GP gloves knuckles. Then he got him out of the car and told him cops are coming (his fiance already called the police). 20 mins later, the police arrived, the driver lied about not seeing the bike in the first place, and the rider was a crazy biker who attacked for no reason, but the police eventually figured it out, and few witnesses testified. Still, no more than some fines for the driver in the end.

·
Registered
24 Posts
when the squids stop doin 100mph wheelies in traffic and runnin from the cops they may take us more seriously.when i got my first bike in 93 the cops would let me get away with alot of stupid things like aggresive driving or a few miles over the limit.but that was before pimpin stuntz.now they are out to nail anyone not on a cruiser.
be happy youre not insured in jersey my accident was with a drunk pedestrian at 30mph the cop said she was at fault jay walkin in the city and drunk in public. yet my liability ins paid her injuries(bumps and bruises) and i paid out of pocket my 2000 hospital bill and the damage to my bike.
oh yeah bike vs fat girl... fat girl won!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
fat girl, ouch. Musta felt like hitting a cow. This is why I hate stupid, ignorant people. You'd think people would get a fucking clue, but they'd rather try to scam you or play ignorant. This is why someone created the helmet cam. Take those lying sons of bitches down!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Jeff:
Sorry about the mishap, glad to hear you are (mostly) ok. My advice is to keep records of everything. Get yourself checked out by a doctor as quickly as possible, and keep those records as well. Insurance companies are never on your side.

killer gixxer:
If you hit a pedestrian its your fault, even if its really theirs. Hey, I didnt write the law. Goes the same for bicycles, one can run a stop sign and cut across 3 lanes of highway, but if a car hits him its the drivers fault, even if the accident report says otherwise.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
^the law is crazy. My next door neighbor got screwed when some homeless guy ran out in front of his excursion a few years ago. Only bumped the guy going about 35 after he slides from going 65 on an interstate highway. He got charged, but go dropped through his lawyers. Even then, his insurance rates went up for something that wasn't his fault.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Homeless guy is probably at fault, but, uh getting hit 35 mph, I think he's pretty lucky to be alive.

kilrgsxr750 said:
i paid out of pocket my 2000 hospital bill and the damage to my bike.
shouldn't your insurance pay for your bills as well even if premiums skyrocket? that's the whole point of PIP & PD.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sorry to read about the incident with the cage driver in fault. Like others have said go to a hospital & make sure you are checked up for that will be the additional bill on the cage drivers insurance firm.

Also you bike could be in worse condition so be 100% sure since the chap was ALSO nailed by the cops ticketed & all.

This is not a time to be sort of forgiving about your bike. I had a woman back up into a bike & had back in '76 yet it was still upright while on the prop stand as the marks could be seen on the pavement of the prop stand.

Just by accident said woman & I rode towards the RCMP station & accidently latched onto a Constable a bit late & on his way home. He said he could not see $350.00 damage (needed to file a claim by the RCMP) yet said van carried max or 12 people & this woman had been driving said van full of people with arthritis problems yet only had a DL for just a car or truck. Like yearly we both stop off at the same Post Office about the same time.

The bike turned out to be over $550.00 as the forks were actually bent a fraction & rather then straighting them it as NEW fork tubes plus all the expenses I had put into the modification of said forks previously.

Around a year later I noted she was driving a normal station wagon with same arthritis signs painted on it. So obviously she had lost her DL for 12 months plus she was demoted to a station wagon due to only a DL of regular car/truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts