Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I came across a spare clutch cover and I'm going to drill it out with holes for vents as opposed to buying one for way too much money. Any suggestions on what vent patterns I should use? Let me know:p

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Those covers are actually two sheets of steel sandwiched and stamped together, then staked around several of the bolt holes. They are a bitch to drill because of that. It's easy for the drill or end mill to grab while breaking through and a bitch to grip because of the shape and lack of ridgidity. Transfer punching, drilling, and tapping a block of aluminum would make a decent fixture to hold it and a hole saw might actually be better to make the holes.

Yes I've done it. Ever wonder why they have such a "dead" sound instead of a ring when you tap on them? ;) :) Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Talked me out of it,:D

Sounds like a real bitch. I may use transfer punches as you decribe to hold it to the table of the mill. I have two clutch covers that are doing me no good whatsoever, so I may still try it.

After machining through two layers of material, how did the edges look on yours? Thinmk it's worth persuing?

Eric

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
EaracheB said:
... After machining through two layers of material, how did the edges look on yours? Thinmk it's worth persuing?

Eric
Yes, if you make the fixture to have a solid grip and have access to a mill. It came out O.K. Because it's steel, it will be best to plan on painting it when done. I eventually found that a hole saw with the pilot drill removed and a drilled and tapped block to bolt it down and grip in the vise worked best. I think I wound up with five 1", maybe 1 1/4" holes and it looked O.K. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a milling machine in the shop at home. Think I'll go with a slotted look with the middle slot being the longest and then smaller ones above and below it.

We'll see what it looks like when done, I guess. I'd still llike to see a picture of yours if you get the chance.

Eric

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
EaracheB said:
[B... I'd still llike to see a picture of yours if you get the chance.

Eric [/B]
I did it for a buddy of mine so I don't see it often and I don't have a digital camera so it wouldn't be easy. It wound up similar to the layout of the vented carbon fiber ones I've seen. Hope that helps.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts