• every 3000 miles

Votes: 83 48.5%
  • every 2000 miles

Votes: 49 28.7%
  • every 1000 miles

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • more often that 1000 miles

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • huh? You mean this thing has oil in it?

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I go 3,000 on average but I also put 15 to 20,000 miles on per year. On a really long trip, up to 10,000 miles, I wouldn't worry about changing oil for the duration of the trip, but on the other hand, if I was putting on low mileage with many cold starts or short trips (under 10 miles), I would change it much more frequently, maybe 1,000 or so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I may be considered a little anal about this, but as a weekend-only rider I go through at least a 30 minute inspection/warm-up procedure prior to every ride. Check tires, pressure, critical suspension bolt torque, chain condition inspect/adjust, oil & fluid levels, brake pads, etc. Only then can I relax & go. Having experienced first-hand the bad things that can happen when a component fails unexpectedly, I won't do any less.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oil

I try to change mine every 2500 but I usually stretch it close to 3000. I put about 8000 miles on average per year on my bikes. I'm pretty weird I guess you could say because I've had 6 sportbikes in 4 years and I've ended up either selling them or trading them in as soon as they hit 18,000 miles. I won't be doing this with my 748 though. Right now it only has 1600 on it and i think I'll be keeping it to go in my collection :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Oil? Wazzat??

I voted for 3000 miles but that isn't strictly true. For my wannabe sportbike Gold Wing 3000 miles works out ok. But for my baby Ninja... well, it kinda depends on what I've been doing with it. Lots of track time = lots of oil changes without even paying attention to the amount of miles... but sure is much less than 1000 between changes. But, if I have a somewhat boring summer and just play squidley on the local roads I might let it go until between 2000 and 3000 miles depending on how lazy I feel. But then, I get kinda nervous about oil with the high revving Ninja's engine, and keep a close eye on the level and how dirty it looks in the sight glass. It scares me a bit to think of that little motor banging off the rev limiter at 15000rpm with less than relatively clean oil in it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
!! Metric !!

Guys;

Metric system - you know you want to :D

I change every 5000km, fairly religeously; our fuel over here has all kinds of tasty carcinogens and crap like sulfur in it. It'll go black in 500km of hard riding, but if you use the good stuff it should be changed by 5000km.

For those inside the continental United States, that's about 3000 miles, give or take.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I try not to go over 3000 miles and usually don't. ;) I tend to change it when it is convenient so sometimes it's 3000 miles and sometimes it is 1500 miles. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are yall using synthetic oil? Even with the hard life of a high-revving motorcycle engine, I would think that you can let synthetic go 5k miles (unless it's mostly stop-and-go city riding) with no problem. C'mon, they use Mobil 1 in the space shuttle and look at how many miles they go between oil changes!!!:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Every 3000 miles for the bandit.
A friend of mine used to change the oil in his f2 once a year.:eek:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Oil

I must admit to staying to the recommended intervals on my VFR as I use a high quality oil. If a bike is thrashed at track days or whatever it makes sense to change it sooner as it can be the first indication that you could have a problem. It all depends on your circumstances but as engine oil has been continually developed and is better than 5/10/20 years ago, it is a waste of money to change it more than is necessary. Just check it between changes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Re: Oil

Smeghead said:
I must admit to staying to the recommended intervals on my VFR as I use a high quality oil. If a bike is thrashed at track days or whatever it makes sense to change it sooner as it can be the first indication that you could have a problem. It all depends on your circumstances but as engine oil has been continually developed and is better than 5/10/20 years ago, it is a waste of money to change it more than is necessary. Just check it between changes.
Just a few years ago I would have agreed with you whole heartedly that oils are much better today that a few years ago.... however.... the dreaded EPA has mandated higher fuel mileage figures for cars to the point that manufacturers are using every edge they can to gain a precious few mpg. One of the things they are doing is having the oil companys reformulate their engine oils to reduce fluid drag. A fancy way of saying the oils are now thinner than they used to be. I thought I would never see the day when there was a 0w30 available but there is now thanks to the EPA.

Ok.. that is car oils... this disturbing trend hasn't hit the motorcycle segment YET! Or has it? Not with motorcycle specific oils I don't think... but I'm not too sure.... Castrol and some other car oil suppliers also offer motorcycle oils....

Anyone have any for real and solid info on this? Please, no conjecture.... just facts.:confused: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts