Sportbike World banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looking at the map, it's probably going to take me at least an hour to get from Auburn to Fryeburg. Does that sound right or is there some secret route I don't know about?

It looks to me like taking Route 11 to 302 would work or I could go North on 121, then 26, then come back South on 117 to hit 302. What do you recommend, wheelie?

In any case, I'll give you a ring before I take off from work so you'll have some idea of when to expect me. What time will you be available? I could probably cut out any time after 3:00 barring a crisis.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Go north on 121, then 117, then 302. Much faster. Boring ride (a buddy of mine lives in Auburn, so I know that route like the back of my hand), but it works. Yeah, it's just over an hour.

Because of my job, I can work any schedule that I need to, so I'm available any time. I'm only 50 yards from where I'm going to meet you, so it's easy for me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I will give you an update later in the week. I think I can go but not certin. Depends on when you want to meet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to be safe, let's say I can't leave work until 4ish. We could meet in Fryeburg at or just after 5. Hopefully that works for you, mainerdr. If not, it'll just be me and wheelie!

And thanks for the directions, wheelie. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for the info!
I will try to meet you guys there... never know I may just be there. Mind if I invite Crys?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Dude, why would we mind? Just be glad your girl likes bikes. Mine hates them. It didn't help when she left my house yesterday morning and saw me pass 7 cars in front of her at 90+. :rolleyes:

Bring Crys, man. It'll be fun for the whole family. :D

Whatever time works for you guys works for me. :thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, I realize this thread is old, but there's a good reason for the necromancy :p

A) Did you guys ever do this Kanc ride?

B) I live just at the other end of 302 (Whitefield, NH) from you guys, I'd love to meet up in Conway/Fryeburg this spring/summer and ride it with a few of you.

Lets fire up the Kanc plans :twofinger

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When it's warm, I ride the Kanc all of the time, as I live 10 minutes (North Conway) from it. It's worth it, but you've got to catch it at the right times. Spring is dicey because of all of the sand and crap from the winter that is all over the road. Flying through sweepers is fun until you see a huge sand patch. I've had to pull over a few times and check my pants after those.

Let us know when you want to ride, and hit us up. I'm always up for that ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh yeah, no doubt about the sand. It's better than most roads around here though. The frost heaves will kill you untill they go down in mid-June :( Fortunately, they keep the Kanc in pretty good shape due to the tourist attraction that it is.

Here's my pick-a-route thread http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57404

It ain't Deals Gap, but it's what we've got to work with.

- Edit -
It'd be cool for sure if we could get a few people together to ride, though from the sounds of it I couldn't keep up!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Fkwyman said:
Here's my pick-a-route thread http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57404
It ain't Deals Gap, but it's what we've got to work with.
- Edit -
It'd be cool for sure if we could get a few people together to ride, though from the sounds of it I couldn't keep up!
Ehh, you'll be fine when you ride with us. Riding with us is the same as riding by yourself or riding with others: stay within your limits. I've got too much to lose work-wise, so I have started to pull back. Plus, my buddy Andrew on here just got the '06 ZX-10R, so I definitely can't keep up with him :)twofinger Andrew).

Your route is okay, but there are some really good ones around here to roll through. Some that come to mind are Cyrstal Lake, Effingham (can't remember names of highways down there), etc. The ride through Crawford Notch is pretty fun, too. Great scenery. Some of these are scenic, some twisty and fast. :D

We'll figure it out soon. For now I've got to wait until it warms up and get my rear tire replaced before I do anything (running on rusted steel belts, no kidding).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, Crawford is beautiful, not to mention the good-n-twisties on my end of it :thumb:

There sure are some great roads down in the lakes region. One in particular is 113 (I think) that runs right next to Squam lake for a bit, might even be the "Crystal Lake" run you speak of, I think I remember a lake of that name along that road. It's the road I take to get to my grandmothers house :p

Sound's like a nice tire! Where can I find one? hehehe

Mine's at the shop now, gettin' some 208's. Should be better than those damn Continentals that MOM's put on when I bought it. Great mileage, but kinda slippery. It'll be like learning to ride the thing all over again, the 208 has a way more aggressive profile. Steering response will be sharper and there'll be a bigger contact patch on the side.. We'll see how it goes.

Look forward to riding with some of you :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
hey Colin... 400+mi and counting. You gotta put the racket down and get the new rubber on!

the new 10 works well. It not that fast with my skill level on the seat. I am still getting used to it. When I get on it hard it's got a bit of a head shake... not sure why with the ohlins dampner but I am guessing it's the setup or I am just not used to that much pull.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
mainerdr said:
hey Colin... 400+mi and counting. You gotta put the racket down and get the new rubber on!

the new 10 works well. It not that fast with my skill level on the seat. I am still getting used to it. When I get on it hard it's got a bit of a head shake... not sure why with the ohlins dampner but I am guessing it's the setup or I am just not used to that much pull.
Man, I've got one more big tournament at the end of April, and then I'm done until June. That's when the tournament season starts.

From here on out, I'm just going to mainly focus on mixed martial arts. I've gotten away from that for a while, and since I'm paying for the membership, I might as well start going again.

As for the new 10, maybe Krystal could handle the power better than you. :twofinger
I'm not surprised that thing has headshake on acceleration, Andrew. That's probably like saying 'hey, this damn NASA shuttle vibrates on liftoff.' That bike of yours is wicked, bro. What is it...170 hp on 375 lbs? That's scary. Fun, but scary. Can't wait to ride it. Also, I went on the Kawasaki website, and sportbikepics.com to look at photos of that yellow bike: that looks pretty sweet, man.

Damn, I meant to tell you: I found a new dealership 20 minutes from me. It's called GSP Performance. I plan on going at the end of this week. Shouldn't take but a few minutes to put the tire on and change the oil. Can't wait.

Shit: I just remembered that I don't have a NH driver's license or registration yet. Crap. Guess I'm doing that next week, too. :rolleyes:

Hope you had a good ride on Friday, Andrew. :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Come to think of it, if you guys have a route that you prefer over the Kanc I'd be happy to meet up with Wheelie in N. Conway and follow him to wherever you wanna ride.. Ahh well, there'll be plenty of time to figure out routes and such. I hear the snow's coming back this week. I must have the jones, all I can think about is riding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dunno about over your way, but I'm told by the weatherman that it's gonna snow on Tuesday in my neck o'the woods. And a high of low 30's on Wednesday. To sum it up, I don't like this week's weather pattern >:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Fkwyman said:
Dunno about over your way, but I'm told by the weatherman that it's gonna snow on Tuesday in my neck o'the woods. And a high of low 30's on Wednesday. To sum it up, I don't like this week's weather pattern >:
Well shit. Just when I'm starting to enjoy spring....

41 - 60 of 63 Posts