Sportbike World banner

maine sportbike ride?

19K views 62 replies 9 participants last post by  earlthepearl69 
#1 ·
Anyone interested in a sportbike ride for maine people?

If your interested reply to this and leave your email info and dates that would work for you. I will inform you all on the details if there is enough interest.

I was thinking of getting as many sportbikes together as possible and go for a day ride. Maybe people from each area can meet in groups for each region and then ride to a central spot and we can ride for the day. I think I can gather 20-40 bikes in the Lewiston/Auburn area depending on the day and another 10-15 in Portland area... with 5-10 from this site we could have quite a crew of bikes for a ride....

Any takers?

Just thought riding with 40+ sportbikes would be fun and a good way to meet riding people in our areas....

#4 ·
Yeah, I think I'm out for tonight unless we go really late.

I'm 22 and have a '95 Katana 750 (yeah yeah, I know). I'm fairly new at this motorcycle thing and have only had the bike for a little more than a month. I've got over 1500 miles on it, though, so I've been riding the piss out of the thing.

I think it's already time to get a real bike. Ha!

#6 ·
Man... I miss the days when I looked forward to riding. My car has been laid up for about 8 months now, So I have been relying on my bike to get me to and from work every single day, rain or shine, for the entire spring/summer. This sort of riding definitly kills the fun of riding for me. Luckily, I am about to start putting the car back together, and it will be sold within a month, so I can get another car and stop riding the bike all the time. Give it about a month and Ill be up for some 12 hr riding days on the weekends again.

As for riding with the group... I would have to say Im out. It seems that all of the rides you organize are at night, and I never really liked night riding. I always seem to be too short on light in front of the bike. Try one during the day, preferably on the weekend, and Ill be in.

#8 ·
mainerdr said:
On the weekends I am out at noon and ride all day and night.
Yeah, I bet you ride all day and night. . .Coq Roq!! Sorry bro. . .couldn't resist.

As for a ride, I'm down for this weekend. Like ZX said, I've never been very fond of night rides. No scenery, and you can't see stuff ahead of time that might run onto the road. If y'all wnat to ride this weekend, let me know. I miss group rides, and it would be fun.

#10 ·
wheelie123 call me when you want to ride... you know me I am always out...

Hey went out lastnight with my girl a co-worker of hers and 6 boys from Lew/Aub area and we had a great ride for about 20 min. Then my girls co-worker bit it hard.... He just got a gixxer 600 and missed the second half of an S-turn in the mid of nowhere. Ended up taking it off road at about 60. I was suprised he rode it out on the shoulder (sand & gravel) for about 150ft. before he got got caught in a sink that the water had created. It bucked him off real nice and he did the rag doll roll for about 50ft.

His bike is okay, just about everything on the left side is toasted... but those damn factory blinkers are in great shape... sure can't kill those. I am going up to get the bike today and ride it back to his place in westbrook.

I stopped into the hospital last night about midnight when I had heard he was still there. He walked away from the wreck with some soreness but he was really cool about it. He was jokin and shit.... When I saw him at the hospital he had found out that he had fractured shoulder, ribs, and ankle. Damn......

No more paper plates riding with us!

#11 ·
Can't tell you how many times I've seen and heard this: rider new to group wants to keep up, and goes way over his/her abilities. He's lucky he walked away from that.

Oh, and did you get the joke in my post above, mainerdr? Thought you'd get a kick out of Coq Roq. :D

#15 ·
Hey guys.

I'm up for a ride tonight if anyone else is. I could be ready to go from Portland any time after 6 and possibly earlier. Mainerdr, I'll definitely give you a call tonight to see what you're up to. You interested, wheelie?

While I'm new at this, I do not plan on being the guy that bites it. I've got plenty of time ahead of me to do that so I'm not in a hurry to start now. :)

#16 ·
raptor13 said:
While I'm new at this, I do not plan on being the guy that bites it. I've got plenty of time ahead of me to do that so I'm not in a hurry to start now. :)
Then don't ride with mainerdr. . .he's crazy, and you'll bite it for sure. LOL. . .mainerdr is a good rider and y'all will have fun. Wish I could join y'all tonight, but I've got plans with the girl. Thursday night's out, too, b/c I've got tennis in Auburn. We should try and plan something for over the weekend before everyone has plans and can't do a/th.

Anyone. . .Bueller? . . . .Bueller?. . . . this weekend? :D

#17 · (Edited)
Rider experience and wisdom come over time... I am a jack ass at times but not too crazy....

The most important lesson to lear is that you need to ride within your limits. Even then things can still go wrong.

This weekend works for me! Tonight is not great I gotta get that beater from Lewiston and get it back to westbrook. I want to hang with chris for a bit and maybe tear the bike apart and see what we need to replace.

Sorry raptor... lets plan for the weekend with wheelie what do you think?

#19 ·
mainerdr said:
Rider experience and wisdom come over time... I am a jack ass at times but not too crazy....

The most important lesson to lear is that you need to ride within your limits. Even then things can still go wrong.

I completely understand that. Getting experience, knowledge, and more miles as safely as possible is my primary concern right now. I figure I can learn a lot from riding with you guys (especially what not to do :twofinger ). Like I said, I have plenty of time to be stupid and bite it... I'll stay within my limits for now, thanks.

That said, the group ride won't be quite as enjoyable when you've completely smoked me and left me wondering where the hell you've gone to so quickly. ;)

#20 ·
if people are wanting to ride fast someone will stay back with you and if you do lose site if anyone we always stop at all crossroads to wait... and make sure everyone it okay.

I am fine with Sat or Sun. Doesn't matter..... I like sat better but what ever....

why don't we just go out with a few people first. It can be intimidating if your new and your riding in a large pack of people in close quarters.

#22 ·
If a red Hyundai Tiburon is around mainerdr and I, DEFINITELy don't follow our lead as to how to ride!! :D

As for this weekend, either day's good for me. A Saturday ride would be great. What time and where, bitches? (sorry, I'm a Chappelle fan) :D

#23 · (Edited)
Lets do it sat then. I am open on time as long as it's after 12. I gots to get my beauty sleep! :cool:

any suggestions on a ride? I will plan one if you want, I like doing that.

Where do ya want to meet?

as for the "bitches" aka: fine honeys! Bring em if you got em!
It's up to you if you want a co-pilot. I don't like having one on back but then again my girl rides so no need to...... :p ; and I had better not have a honey on back....lol... she will kill me or I will knock her off hangin a 12!! lol

give me your suggestion and we can sort em out.

as for the Tiberpoop.... i got some new tricks in my bag for him.....
:thumb:

#24 · (Edited)
Saturday afternoon sounds perfect to me. I'm not terribly familiar with the area (I've only been in Maine for the summer) so if you guys can plan out a route, I'm more than happy to follow.

I can meet anywhere so that's not an issue for me. I live in South Portland really close to the mall but if we're going North, we could hook up in Freeport, Topsham, Auburn, Gray, wherever.

I'm excited for this. I'll let you guys take care of the Tiburons while I take care of myself. :cool:

You guys are gonna laugh at me, too, since I'm geared up to the nines but am still so new. At least I look the part, right? :laughing:

#25 ·
Anytime is good on Saturday. My Saturday is free after 12. I'll work in the morning, and then take off to meet you guys.

mainerdr, why don't you plan a route, since you know the area the best and you ride it all of the time. Let us know a time and place and, speaking for myself, I'll meet then and there.

I'm not bringing a passenger: mine's never ridden before, and I don't want her first experience to be one where she cracks my rib from sheer fright. Lol. . .I always do group rides solo. I never knew anybody who brought someone on a group ride before.

Raptor13, we'll look out for you during the ride. This should be fun for you, and if we do this right, we'll stop off for a bite to eat after a couple of hours and we can listen to you and help you through anything that might be troubling you with the ride. More than likely, you'll just have a huge permagrin when we stop for food. :thumb: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.