3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to exupman for this one.

Post 'em if you got 'em!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Duh...

They don't call Harley's comeback a marketing success story for no reason...:twofinger

·
Registered
196 Posts
I visited the York PA HD factory a few years back. All these boxes with Showa(Honda), Enkei(Japan), Mikuni(Japan) on them. They really only build the frame and bodies here. There is even Japaneese parts in the motor.
When asked the tour guide assured us that they are just a few parts...yea carb, wheels, suspension...minor parts I am sure...NOT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Made in where?

The new v-Rod, the american cruiser proud... The only part that is up to date is the engine. Guess who dessign it...

Porsche AG. Germany.

On Motorcyclist magacine they have access to the presentation where they show teh inside of the engine and they mention that most of the components where Made in Germany.

Just give me a Vulcan/Shadow/Warrior for 1/3 of the price if I want a cruiser.

·
Registered
515 Posts
and you can bet that the parts made in

the USA are all over the USA's roads..cause my grand ma used to brag that "95% of every hardley made is still on the road...the other 5% made it home safely"...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Almost everything about a Harley is a lie. They have mastered the art of distortion and outright falsehood. The 'Made in the USA' exaggeration is just one example. I am constantly reading and hearing about their incredible power, smoothness, and reliability. Then there's the straight pipes save lives, the egg shell beanies, the leather chaps with no seat, tube tires, 4 ft wide handlebars, sit on the floor and touch you toes riding position, and many other stupid and downright dangerous ideas. Its almost as though the more outrageous the bike or the sales pitch the more successful it is. I can think of no other product, of any kind, where the worst product sells for the highest amount. It would be like a $3,500 Kodak Brownie box camera, with an eagle painted on the side. Hey, that would make a pretty good T-shirt, wouldn’t it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You guy's are lying. Harley's are American all the way. You guy's
are just jealous because you don't own one, and can't look good
in arseless chaps, undershirtless leather vest with your chest hair
blowing in the wind, and "novelty" headcap helmet with flames
on them (chrome is much sexier in my opinion).

Can you read the sarcasm? You would figure that hardley's
would run better than they do with the foreign products they
have on them. Hell, at least not fall apart so easy.:D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
cbrbob said:
Remember, all those Foreign parts are made to HDs design standards. :Þ
Official Hardley Ableson's Design Standards:

1.) Build it cheaper than American laborers can

·
Registered
46 Posts
cbrbob said:
Remember, all those Foreign parts are made to HDs design standards. :Þ
Indeed! Tolerances to within an inch either way!:twofinger

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
crash-66 said:

You would figure that hardley's would run better than they do with the foreign products they have on them. Hell, at least not fall apart so easy.:D
The foreign parts are what got them to stop leaking oil so bad and to stop losing half their parts in a single days riding. Funny how proud their owners get when they say that they don't leak oil any more, like Honkawyamazuki didn't get that technical difficulty mastered back in the stone ages!!!:D

I rode a HD for the first time last month and was very happy I didn't have to purchase one to discover I never want to ride one again.:twofinger

·
Registered
76 Posts
slammin the hogs.....

Guys,
Heres one more way to look at it....The opposite of the atypical Harley buyer is the.....Goldwing buyer. He on the other hand is buying one of the most sophistcated well equipped,bikes on the road today.We all know the deal on the Harley....enough said on that topic.The harley buyer can brag about spending too much
on a product that is, you know. Then enters the Winger he whines about buying at $200. over cost.......is that irony or what....I'd rather have a slow walking stick than the Harley,and Wings are for constipated individuals....just my .02 ....

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the value in buying an HD??

Here's something to think about...

What in the heck does a hardley-driveable motorcycle have over a sportbike? Just a few scenarios...

Want acceleration: Sportbike

Want positive braking: Sportbike dual disc

Want power: How about 100hp out of 600ccs? It takes Harley 1800ccs to produce the same power.

Want safe high-speed handling: Sportbike

Want light weight to power ratio: sportbike.. harley's often weigh in at 1000# ?!? aaahh?!

Want reliability? how about being able to run 10~12K rpm for years without major service: Sportbike

Harleys are lucky to go 100 miles without service.

So...
You want a motorcycle that performs, offers safety, reliability and valuable pricing? Buy a sportbike.

You want an overpriced, poorly engineered sorry excuse for art? Buy a harley...

·
Registered
301 Posts
tbechtel,

You're exactly right, there is just no comparison. My shop services mostly sportbikes, but I also work on Harleys too. The thing that really makes my blood boil is when I take these bikes out for a test ride following service. The other day I rode a few miles on an old pan head 74. It was a piece of junk, didn't look very clean and was in dire need of a major re-build. Everywhere I went, everyone was looking at the bike, most all waived, kids ran out of their houses to see the great sight, old ladies smiled, and even the police gave me the thumbs up. That same day I took a polished out dark green ZX-12. This bike was in show condition, but no one gave it a second look. One guy gave me the finger and the police just frowned. This day was no exception. It's always this way, riding the Harley is like being in a Labor Day Parade. Riding any sportbike is like being almost invisible, in fact it's downright dangerous.

I think the Harleys folks are overcome with the overwhelming acceptance and even worship of their bike. They can't help but think they're riding the most fantastic machine on wheels. Somewhere down deep I think many of them know better, but it's the same way for many people when the go in to a voting booth. They just vote for whom ever they think will win, not for the better candidate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups - or at least with large pocketbooks...

$15k for an image? :barf:

So the other day I was on a ride and ended up at a stop sign behind two Hurleys. They both glanced back and I waived giving the standard two-fingered salute which I promptly turned into the famous British backwards-two-fingered salute to their back as they both just turned around with our so much as a nod.:finger:

Remember peeps - we're all on two wheels - us against them and just 'cause you paid more doesn't make you better - just richer :p .

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
SpeedCubed said:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups - or at least with large pocketbooks...

$15k for an image? :barf:

It costs a lot of money to look like such a dirtbag. :twofinger

·
Registered
47 Posts
So when we're at bike week this March and some ass gives ya the
thumbs down cuz youre on a "****in rice burner" ask em where some if his parts are made. chances are the dumb fu*king redneck will be too wasted on budweiser to answer the question. But at least we all know the universal truth now! there is no all-american made bike:twofinger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.