Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm considering lowering the seat height on my '00 CBR600F4, thinking that it can give me more confidence as I learn to master the machine. With a rather short inseam of 30 inches, I feel that this adjustment might help. I once rode with someone with the same bike. He had longer legs and he looked really comfortable being able to place both feet flat on the ground while mounted on the bike.

I wonder if it is possible to do this adjustment and what would be the effect if any on performance, control, comfort, etc. I'd appreciate any feedback. I vaguely remember a similar post a long time ago and if you can point me to it i'd be as grateful.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My girl has the same problem on her F4. Basically you have to take it to a dealer and let them do it to do it right. You have to take the whole thing apart and adjust from there. It WILL repeat WILL void the warranty if Honda finds out. You will greatly affect the handling if you do this also. I'd recommend you just deal with what you have.

------------------

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to vent a little bit here. I really like the forums here but everyone in the "how do I" forum might as well be giving people advice on how to load a bike in a truck and take it to the dealer.

Most people are posting questions here so that they can do it thierselves and not take a bike to the dealer. If you don't have any better advice than "take it to the dealer" why post at all. Around here the dealers are crooked evil businesses that will keep your bike for 2 weeks to do an oil change.

Sorry JANMAN this wasn't aimed at you just everyone in general.

Now everyone get a service manual and some tools and do something yourself for once. For the love of god don't take your bike to the dealer to have the oil changed.

Oh and I think that they make longer links for the rear suspension that will lower the ride height simillar to drop spindles for a car. your front forks can simply be raised in the triple clamps but you have to be precise. You will end up with handling that isn't up to par and be very opt to drag a peg or fairing or something. I'd stick with what you got.

Luke
Sorry for the rant.

------------------

·
Registered
380 Posts
I agree Luke.
Take the seat cover off and shave some of the foam down, if you feel you can put it back together correctly.
Or if you feel you can't do it send it to a seat maker to have this done.
You could probably lower it an inch or 1/2 inch. And it shouldn't affect your bike.
The dealer is not the answer for everything. Some of those jokers will never touch my bike.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

·
Registered
517 Posts
1) shave foam from seat if it has no underside "pan" to prevent you from getting to it.

2) order a Corbin seat that has thinner foam in it to reduce seat height

3) go to salvage yard or ebay and buy a crapped out/torn seat for cheap, modify it and have the pristine new one to put back on later

4) find local upholsterer and have them put a new cover on over some new, thinner foam

5) buy some big boots!

------------------

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think it would be in your best interest to not mess with suspension, it is tricky to get it right, and raising forks, new linkage will help, but now your bikes out of wack. I would mess with the seat like others said, or just ride and don't stop till you get back to your garage.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
129 Posts
im not a mechanic or anything but here is my 2 cents (which i might add might be wrong) but here goes

if you lower the seat you will be even making the distance from the seat to your pegs even shorter thus you will be cramping your legs that much more when you go for long rides. i also have a 30 inseam i cant stand "flat footed" on the pavement but for those few times that i am on my toes i think it pays in the long run for that extra inch or 2.

------------------
Trying is the first step towards failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts