Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pretty short guy (5'6") and I would like to lower the seat height on my '00 Kaw ZX-6R. I have read that
there is a ride height adjuster on the rear suspension. Is this something that is uncommon among the competiton? It seems to be pointed out that way. By the way, when I stand the bike straight up, all that's touching the ground is the ball of each foot. I think I would have more control. Also, will it have a really negative effect on my riding and steering? I just had an
embarrassing drop when I pulled off the side of the Interstate yesterday, and I need some advice.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Yes, you can lower ride height at the rear but that also alters steering geometry affecting turning effort, and reduces ground clearance which converts to cornering clearance in a hard lean, but maybe... so what!

Is it possible that you are a new rider? Certainly new to this bike? There are several reasons I ask that. Being a short shit myself, I know what it's like to tip-toe a bike. My height is also about 5' 6" and my inseam is 28"-29", pretty short legs. If you are new, you're not used to this yet but with seat time it will become very second nature to be aware of irregular ground and to shift a little on the seat or change your reach to compensate for it. This is one of the reasons so many riders suggest starting on a smaller bike or one that you don't have to worry about dropping a few times. Most people do it while learning. Lowering the bike will help, but there will be a bigger ground differential yet to be encountered that will put you back in the same place another day. Getting experience will eventually fix all of of this.

The reason I mentioned the cornering characteristics is for you to be aware that changing ANY of the suspension settings isn't without consequences that often go beyond the obvious. In this example, it will do the obvious, which is to lower the ride height but will also steer heavier and reduce corner clearance. The reason I say "so what" is that if you are not running corners pretty hot, you will most likely not be able to feel any difference so... so what. If it helps the immediate problem, go ahead and do it. What I would suggest is that you record ANY changes you make to this or any other suspension settings, so that as you gain experience you can always go back to the original set-up. The original set-up should be a nice average set-up for road riding where many varied conditions exist. Until you are using all of the tire, and gain a lot of experience, screwing with those settings is more likely to cause you trouble than help and what you don't need is a foul handling bike when you are trying to gain skills. Suspension set-up is another whole thing to learn AFTER you have enough experience to feel the difference. When that day comes, you'll need help on it but you'll have enough experience to feel the change and know if it helped or hurt with your style of riding.

I hope that helps... good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a pretty short guy (5'6") and I would like to lower the seat height on my '00 Kaw ZX-6R. I have read that
there is a ride height adjuster on the rear suspension. Is this something that is uncommon among the competiton? It seems to be pointed out that way. By the way, when I stand the bike straight up, all that's touching the ground is the ball of each foot. I think I would have more control. Also, will it have a really negative effect on my riding and steering? I just had an
embarrassing drop when I pulled off the side of the Interstate yesterday, and I need some advice.
I have been looking for a zx6r or a cbr600rr i happened to get on this site and noticed that they are both 32.7. The first gl1800 i bought i traded on the way home for a smaller bike i couild touch the ground. i also freaked when my wife got in the back of a vtx1800. I should get on one at a dealer that has both in s illlinois. I thought the cbr1000rr was out of my league on heighth but they(zx6r and cbr600rr may be also. i have wanted to quit riding goldwings after having 11 since 1990.. does anyone know a smalller like 29.x seat heighth to allow me to have one of these type of type of machines.
thanks in advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts