Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know why the Ducks really suck up until 6000 RPM's? It seems like the clutch can't be left engaged under 3000RPM's. This might be a newbie question but we all started to learn somewhere.:)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I think what you are experiencing is just the way they are geared and the way the valve train is tuned. They are set up to be ridden hard like on the race track where you spend all of your time about 6000rpm. The RC-51s are setup that way too. They aren't too fun below 3000rpm either and that is part of why they are such crappy bike for commuting. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RCjohn said:
I think what you are experiencing is just the way they are geared and the way the valve train is tuned. They are set up to be ridden hard like on the race track where you spend all of your time about 6000rpm. The RC-51s are setup that way too. They aren't too fun below 3000rpm either and that is part of why they are such crappy bike for commuting. :)
Commuting blows...everynow and then I get the itch to ride to work and regret it halfway there because my left hand is throbbing. My friend is thinking of buy and RC51...do you recommend it? Any dislikes? Likes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Buy a 998

The 998's dont have that problem, at least not at 3000 rpm. Their usefull power starts at around 2K...which is a little better...hehe

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I haven't ridden a 998 but the RC-51 sucks as a commuter. The RC has more power, more torque and is lighter( :p ) than the base Ducati but it kind of sucks below 3K rpm too. It does have the advantage(IMO) of having a hydraulic clutch. The Ducati clutch would definitely suck in traffic but the RC's FI and seat suck in traffic.

They are both great bikes but neither is meant for commuting in city traffic. :(

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
dpasseto said:
Any one know why the Ducks really suck up until 6000 RPM's? It seems like the clutch can't be left engaged under 3000RPM's. This might be a newbie question but we all started to learn somewhere.:)
Try going up two teeth in the rear sprocket. I think they come from the factory geared too tall so they can meet noise restrictions or something. It really helped my 900SS.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DPASSETO: Cheers to you for knowing that I was just busting your chops! :D There are a few people around here that like to dish it out but cry like a school girl with a skinned knee when comments are tossed their way.................

·
Registered
1 Posts
They are definitely geared tall. I mean really, how many of us get to speeds over 140mph? Go with +2 teeth rear and it will be much better. As for the throbbing hand, more saddle time helps that. It's the darn oven under my ass that gets me commuting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts