Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1980, President Reagan began what would be called by him and his successors "the War on Drugs". Every president who has followed him in the White House has continued what he started, regardless of party affiliation.

Mr. Reagan and his advisors told the public they believed that a war on drugs was the only way to stop the problem of useage of illegal drugs by our society, the only way to stop the ever escalating number of impaired persons whose lives became burdens on society and whose alcohol and drug addiction would also become the ever increasing in size stepchild of society.

The belief of all these administrations and of all law enforcement persons (at least those whose jobs depend on it) is this: if you take out the source, the problem will stop. So they invade other countries, denude the landscape, destroy ecosystems, destroy all crop bearing capacity of millions of acres of foreign soil, pay millions to poor countries so they do not grow poppy plants, blow up buildings, donate military personnel, DEA agents, CIA agents, Gulfstream aircraft, military aircraft, military munitions and armament, seize bank accounts, arrest people domestically and abroad, carry out hits on people in other countries, and arrest persons domestically and seize their property and money.

Has it worked? Lets see.

1. In 2002, our government will spend 19.2 billion dollars of our tax money on the "War on Drugs", or .$609 per second. State and local governments will spend at least 20 billion dollars of our tax money.

2. So far this year, over 80,000 persons have been arrested for drug law offenses, and the total for the year is expected to exceed the 1,579,566 arrests made in 2001. They all have to be incarcerated, and we pay for that too.

3. Medillin Cartel: gone. Cali Cartel: gone. Now there are many more smaller cartels that have taken their place.

4. Since 1980, drug related deaths have increased a whopping 540% (that is not a typo). Hmmm.....

5. Since 1980, incarceration for drug arrests has gone, what do you think? Down? Well, you'd think as much if the politicians and the cops were right. But no, it has gone up from 25,000 arrests in 1980 to a whopping 275,000 in 1995. Huh.

6. Has US drug policy protected children from drugs? In 1975, 87% of adolescents said it was "very easy" or "fairly easy" to get marijuana. In 1998, that percentage went UP to almost 90%. Since 1992, federal surveys show that adolescent drug use has gone up, not down. This despite ever increasing spending, arresting, seizure of property, and pouring millions of dollars into other countries, not ours.

7. Based on federal surveys and by definition of state and federal law, more than 50% of all high school seniors are drug criminals who should be imprisoned. Wow. Something is wrong here.....

8. Are more or less drugs getting into the country as a result of the War on Drugs? One fact for you here: Heroin availability is way up, the purity is way up, price per gram has gone from about $3,500/gram in 1981 to $1,000/gram in 1996. It is the same thing with the other drugs, only now we have Meth and Pot made right in our own neighborhoods.

The War on Drugs is a total waste of my and your money. It does not work, and it has been going on long enough. We are pouring money down a rat hole, and it is coming out of my wallet and your wallet. We are not talking about a leak in the dike but a full breach in the dam.

What we need is a healthy and fresh approach to our national and state drug and alcohol abuse policy (alcohol abuse dwarfs all drug abuse statistics put together). We need to be spending the money HERE, not abroad. Stop giving other countries military equipment and other aid in the name of the War on Drugs.

Public health, information, and a rearranging of our way of thinking of how we use drugs, alcohol and tobacco would be a start. More money into making half way houses or the like available for recovering addicts and alcoholics. More available in patient treatment and out patient treatment.

Get rid of the harsh penalties on drug users. We got enough persons living off my dime in prisons. Property seizures should only FOLLOW conviction, not precede it as is the case now. The forfeitures are just lining the pockets of the cops, and they are tying up prosecutors who could be prosecuting more serious criminals.

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
VFRSQUID said:

Not everyday for me..... Hey I'm catholic!!
Um...Alex, I don't think the war on drugs extends up into the wilds of Canada :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
That is the way I feel about welfare, but I don't see any big changes being made. After all, too many people have too much to loose if either go away or have the fat trimmed off.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
SquirrelMaster said:
I lose the war on drugs everyday!
That would imply that you actually attempt to fight off the urges. How hard are you actually trying? ;)

What is this? Littering and....littering and..... littering and......aahhh....aahhh

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Stake said:
Um...Alex, I don't think the war on drugs extends up into the wilds of Canada :rolleyes:
That may be true, but I think a nice 10 foot wall running the border would help ensure thier safety. Just want to protect our brothers to the north you know.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
funksouljon said:
That is the way I feel about welfare, but I don't see any big changes being made. After all, too many people have too much to loose if either go away or have the fat trimmed off.
I find it rather hyppocritical for you to state the above idea and then at the bottom of your message state: "Never give up, never surrender".

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Haha, the quote is actually from a movie. A comedy nonetheless. Not a personal mantra.
I am a full-supporter of the run-away today and live to run another day! :D

I believe in making a stand and fighting, if necessary, for what you believe in, but a blind fight or stance is ignorant. I don't believe the all out "war on drugs" was a sensible effort to begin with. Since I never supported it, my believing it needs reevaluation is not hypocritical at all but sensible in nature. :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually was commenting on what appears to be a fatalist attitude when you say that you feel the welfare system also is screwed up and needs to be reformed, but that you do not seem to feel like anything can be done about it. Because too many things fighting against you (like people trying to preserve or justify their jobs, like the narcotics cops and the politicians, with the war on drugs).

I think that saying was from "Galaxy Quest", if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
fuster said:
I actually was commenting on what appears to be a fatalist attitude when you say that you feel the welfare system also is screwed up and needs to be reformed, but that you do not seem to feel like anything can be done about it. Because too many things fighting against you (like people trying to preserve or justify their jobs, like the narcotics cops and the politicians, with the war on drugs).

I think that saying was from "Galaxy Quest", if I am not mistaken.
Correct, Galaxy Quest.
Hmm, I see what you are saying, but that isn't what the remark meant. I said big changes due to the desire of the system to remain as is. Sure it can be chipped away small piece at a time. But back to the original issue, the quote isn't a personal mantra anyways, just a quote.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If the gov't seriously wants to win the war on drugs, they'll have to change tactics. Current methods only make even more profit for the successfull dealers, and weed out the dumb ones.

Countries like Malaysia have been successful with a zero tolerance approach......it is illegal to possess any. You have drugs, you go to jail. If you stop people from using drugs because the penalties are harsh, the money going to the dealers will decrease. Less money.....less dealers......less drugs....less law enforcement required.

Personally I think jail and a recordfor possesion of small amounts is wrong, but I'd bet the prospect of spending 6 months worth of weekends in orange overalls picking up garbage would make someone thinks twice.

Until then, I'm sure my friends in B.C. will be happy to continue sending their biggest export to our friends in the south. (REMEMBER B.C. BUD.....it's the BEST)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Holy cow people, the government officials will need to stop using drugs first. Hell, our government isn't fighting the war on drugs and trafficing they are controlling it and have been since before Vietnam. They can't destroy it until they stop particiapating. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No addict, whether it is for drugs, alcohol, sex, food, whatever, has any ability to control their useage on account of getting in trouble for it. "Fear of jail" has never stopped a heroin addict, pot smoker, coke fiend or crank user from using.

Zero tolerance does nothing but put more persons on three squares for free, and that will not solve the thirst for drugs. You have to go to the source which is the user and future user/alcoholic, and start there. No demand, no more business.

The current problem is that politicians want to save their own jobs and have lobbyists giving them soft money and screaming at them from the special interests, mainly the alcohol producers. If you were to start solving the drug use problem at the source, then alcohol sales will go down drastically.

Cops want to justify their existence. DEA and narcotics officers would be out of a job if we did not have all the drugs coming in from everywhere. Drug dealers equals job security. Simple.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Most of our laws aren't deterrent-oriented. The drug laws keep very few people from doing drugs. The death penalty keeps very few people from killing others. The speed limit is a law; I exceed it on a daily basis. Most of you probably do, too.

If we're really concerned with drug users and abusers, we can take a look back to when addiction was treated more as a sickness or a disease than a criminal act.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This BUDS for you

The Gov don't realy want to win, then there would be none for them. To many jobs depend on that money for them to quit now.
Can't I just grow a couple plants, So i can enjoy a couple o Fatties after work? Man am I hungry. gota go.:cool: :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
fuster said:
No addict, whether it is for drugs, alcohol, sex, food, whatever, has any ability to control their useage on account of getting in trouble for it. "Fear of jail" has never stopped a heroin addict, pot smoker, coke fiend or crank user from using.
You consider pot smokers "addict"s. Its not like any of us, i mean them, have ever killed people or mugged another person for the drug, or the means....maybe begged. :D

In the immortal words of Bob Saget:
"Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke. You ever suck dick for marijuana?"

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You must be a pot smoker because you forgot what the thread was talking about.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts