Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im 20, well i got the money saved for a bike and my mom just really wont have it. she started breaking down & crying. she said once im out of college (2 yrs) then i can buy whatever i want. i guess its not worth it to destroy the relationship w/ my mom over a bike. even tho its a dream...i guess its going to have to hold off for a couple years...it sucks though. really bad.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
sykal said:
im 20, well i got the money saved for a bike and my mom just really wont have it. she started breaking down & crying. she said once im out of college (2 yrs) then i can buy whatever i want. i guess its not worth it to destroy the relationship w/ my mom over a bike. even tho its a dream...i guess its going to have to hold off for a couple years...it sucks though. really bad.

Sign both of you up for the MSF course. She's scared to lose you, scared of her perception of motorcycling, and she's scared of the unknown. Maybe if she takes the course w/ you she'll understand the passion and give you her blessing. Who knows, it could work?! :dunno:

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
hey.. dont' sweat it... keep that money in a savings account and in 2 yrs when all is good there will always be bikes available to fulfill that dream.. just cause you can't do it now (out of respect for your mom) doesnt' mean it won't ever happen... I've wanted to ride on a race track since I was 16 and it took (uhm well a long time lets just say :p ) many years for that dream to come true and now I'm making up for lost time and enjoying every minute of it :drool:

E.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
See, I am a little bit less sympathetic than everyone else. yes, she's afraid of losing you. Any parent would feel that way. However, you aren't going to destroy the relationship with your mom just because you get a motorcycle. You're 20 years old, and you're an adult now. You can make your own decisions, and the reason that she's probably pitching a fit is because she still wants to have 'control' over what you decide. I may be wrong, but I've seen it many times. But like I said, she's not going to stop loving you just because you get a bike. Besides, just tell her that with rising gas prices, you're going to save money in the long run, and it's a great investment! :D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Slip-On Rapist said:
See, I am a little bit less sympathetic than everyone else. yes, she's afraid of losing you. Any parent would feel that way. However, you aren't going to destroy the relationship with your mom just because you get a motorcycle. You're 20 years old, and you're an adult now. You can make your own decisions, and the reason that she's probably pitching a fit is because she still wants to have 'control' over what you decide. I may be wrong, but I've seen it many times. But like I said, she's not going to stop loving you just because you get a bike. Besides, just tell her that with rising gas prices, you're going to save money in the long run, and it's a great investment! :D
+1

Emotional blackmail pisses me off. :mad:

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
spicersh said:
+1

Emotional blackmail pisses me off. :mad:
+2

Just a question: how long are you going to let your mom control your life? If she pays for your tuition or living expenses, I'd say let it ride for a few, but if you are paying your own way, do what you want to do.

Gotta cut the umbilical cord someday. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
spicerke said:
Gotta cut the umbilical cord someday. :dunno:
BINGO!

+3

your life is for YOU to live, not for her to tell you how to live it. with all do respect to moms out there (including mine).

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Give her a hankie, buy good gear, and be responsible, prove her wrong.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I was in the military for about 3 years when I bought my bike and I told my parents about it. My dad was completely freaked, as was my mom. Then I had them down here at "my" house and when they saw it, the first words out of their mouths were "Ohhhh cool!". To make it even funnier, my mom called me the other week because she knows that I'm going to get a new one in a couple years and said "Have you seen the new 1000RR?". I said.. "Can you please say that again? I don't think I heard you correctly!".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i been thiking about it, i dont know though. my parents pay my tuition for college right now, i have 2 more years until i graduate. i live at home when im home from school. however i see what you all are saying, and my mom trusts me 100%, i have the money to afford a bike now, so i think i might just go buy it behind their back and just bring it home. ive told my mom countless times im going to take a MSF course, and wear heavy duty leather. she says she just doesnt trust the other ppl...i dont know how thats gonna change in 2 years though.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
sykal said:
i been thiking about it, i dont know though. my parents pay my tuition for college right now, i have 2 more years until i graduate. i live at home when im home from school. however i see what you all are saying, and my mom trusts me 100%, i have the money to afford a bike now, so i think i might just go buy it behind their back and just bring it home. ive told my mom countless times im going to take a MSF course, and wear heavy duty leather. she says she just doesnt trust the other ppl...i dont know how thats gonna change in 2 years though.
Your momma.......

is a smart woman. It IS the other morons out there in cages that you have to look out for. Especially the ones in south Georgia! Right now, since your parents pay your tuition, I would say discuss it a little more, and if all else fails, buy one anyways. I don't think many parents would cut you off from your tuition money just because you get a bike. One thing they might be able to say is "If you have the money to buy a bike, you have the money to pay your way through college.". Just do what you think is best..all part of growing up, and sometimes it sucks!

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
If your parents are your meal ticket through the next two years of college, I wouldn't piss them off by buying a bike behind their back, as that would show rashness and immaturity.

You need to grow up and make your own decisions (as I said earlier), but the time for that, in regards to a motorcycle, is not now. Let that money sit in a high-interest yield savings account for the next two years and buy yourself the bike of your dreams as a graduation present. At that point you are on your own, degree in hand and there's nothing your parents can do about it.

I still think your mom needs to cut the cord and not use her tears as a weapon. That is total b.s. and immature in my books (and this is coming from a female), and she needs to be able to articulate her concerns and fears to you without resorting to emotional blackmail. :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts