Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider here, for streetbikes anyway. I have been riding dirtbikes for about 9 years. I have ridden some street but not much. I am looking to buy a yamaha yzf-r6. I am unsure if i should go new or used. Any input would be helpful as well as anything else i should look for or look out for buying a street bike. I have signed up but have not taken a rider education course where i will get my license.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
IMO used can be as good as new. It just depends on where/who you buy the bike off of. For all you know the person who had it before you beat the thing to shit. Or maybe it was only ridden to church on sundays by a little old lady.

If I had the money I would definately go with a new one. And it sounds to me like you've been riding more than long enough to start out on a 600. Just be careful of that quick throttle response:2cents:

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can pick up a low mileage used bike piece of cake at a way lower price...

I saw plenty of 2001 F4i's going for around $5500, in perfect shape and low miles.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Take a look at the Suzy SV-650 then the SV-650s & decided if you want that much of a lean forward. If the regular riding position, since you are accustom to the dirt upright riding position, then the SV-650 can be fitted with a 1/2 fairing to break the wind.

Bike has bags of torque due to the V-twin power-plant & is a lot of fun to ride compared to a sportbike that is really NOT an ideal bike in city/town streets.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
How about a Triumph Tiger, or a V-strom..........similiar riding position from a dirt bike.........similar being used loosely. Just my :2cents:

And buy used.........why drop a perfectly brand new motorcycle?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You know, people talk about torquey engines and compare some engines to others... I think my F4i has a plenty torquey engine for being an inline 4. I really love this bike.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
NovaHawk said:
I really love this bike.
And that is the perfect example of what you should buy........something to love. I couldn't agree more, I love my Sprint! Great comment NovaHawk!:thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Point well taken NovaHawk, but have you riden a Suzy SV-650 or the s version? I have & have a Yamaha YZF600r which is probably one of the best mid-range power of all the fours (comp from Kwacker ZZ-R600) & have riden the Honda F4i which cannot match mid-power or torque of the Kwacker or Yamaha 600r.

The Suzy SV-650 has that V-twin power-plant so it outdoes the 600r or the peaker F4i by Honda.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well what I was meaning was... compared to a car even the worst of the torquey bikes has more get up and go than a car, right?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Surprised the cage people have not jumped on top of that one for the peaky m/c engines & especially the sportclass bikes have nothing when it comes to torque HP & the Harley-Davidson make most other m/cs look sick.

Snap & go accelleration is not torque of many m/cs, but HP at higher revs. How many cages do you see that have tachometers that read up to 20 thou & red line at something like 14 to 18 thou?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought more torque simply meant the powerband was broader, thus allowing you get some serious HP out of a lower RPM than some other bikes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
NovaHawk said:
I thought more torque simply meant the powerband was broader, thus allowing you get some serious HP out of a lower RPM than some other bikes.
I've got a V-Twin. I bought it because I thought there was some inherent coolness in torque, but I really don't get it. Sure, you can make more power at lower RPM's, but can't you just rev up a 4 cylinder whenever you like?

If you think about it, when a 170-pound person is on a bicycle they are making 170-foot-pounds of torque. Lotta good it does. :D

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Buy new unless you plan on getting rid of it soon. What better way to know the history of the bike than to do it yourself.

Be sure to add the safety equipment before the performance mods. ex: steel braided brake lines, frame sliders, steering stabilizer, etc.

Have fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts