Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
OK here is the deal everyone. I am 17 with a max of 10000 to spend on a bike. I never got my permit so I need to buy a motorcycle until I turn 18 at the end of next April. I am looking for something that I can use to get around on in a suburban area. It is central Florida to be specific. The bike will be my main means of transportation so I need it to be able to handle being riden every day. Right now I have been looking for a 748 Black Ducati. I'm hoping to carbon fiber it out by the end of the year. I have been reading that the newer 748s just aren't very good for everyday riding so my question to you is what would you recommend to a 17 year old (don't want too much power but I used to ride dirtbikes so I can ride a bike) who is looking for a sweet ride to get all the ladies...hah no, but seriously I'm looking for something styling, but I want to make sure it stays styling on the road and not in the shop. Should I go for the Ducati or play it safe with something like a CBR or RI? Please give me feedback I need to make my descision soon. Thanks again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
LOL well you could send me some money, because you don't want to spend that much on a bike alone. Get a 250cc or 500cc. What do you mean you used to ride dirt bikes? Get your permint and take the MSF. Get some good gear and alot of your 10K is going to go to insurance, espcially if you mention any of the bikes you did here to the insrance company. those bikes are way to big/advance for a beginner. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well actually I know I want atleast a 600 and I know dirtbikes are a lot different I've riden my sisters 250 ninja. I really don't want something that small. I still live with my rents so I don't need to worry about insurance. So could I get some help. I am really just stuck between... CBR....Ducati....Or an R1..., but those are the only bikes I have really done much looking into so if anyone has any better suggestions I am really looking for some help. Thanks for the help though Edge Ranger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also anyone know any good sites to look at??? I know of Ebay and Cycletrader....but thats about all I've used
thanks

·
Registered
860 Posts
i know you live in FL but i livein LA and theres a subscription called Boats, Bikes, and Rv's

they have stuff all over the gulf coast....if you dont mind the ride you can find plenty of good bikes for way under 10 g's..thats where i just picked my bike up from

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dirt-riding has very little relationship with road riding, other than manipulating the bike's controls. You will be dealing with dynamics that can kill you quickly.

Assuming this isn't a simple troll posting, I would suggest you consider a cheap nekkid bike first, so you don't trash all the pretty plastic on a sportbike. If you want to have a ball, pick up a super-moto type bike and ride it for 6-8 months before getting a donor-cycle. I have a lovely Aprilia with 100+ hp, but I get just about the same fun on my 400cc super moto bike, ripping up the canyons here. I can also jump curbs with it to avoid idiots behind the wheel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Tahoe said:
Dirt-riding has very little relationship with road riding, other than manipulating the bike's controls. You will be dealing with dynamics that can kill you quickly.
i think i understand where you are coming from here but i don't totally agree with this statement.

i started on dirt and you CAN utilize allot of technique on the road. granted there are allot of things you shouldn't do. both have their differences, yes, i agree, but you can go from dirt to the street with relative confidence. My only MAJOR transition difference that i have to admit i sometimes still find myself RARELY doing is on the street you need to keep your feet on the pegs (real tight corners can f*ck me up). i've ridden on dirt since i was a pre-teen and on the street since 16 and i have over 20 years of experience on 2 wheels.

I would suggest you consider a cheap nekkid bike first
i agree with this recommendation. ride on the street with an inexpensive bike first because, unlike on the dirt, one drop of a "pretty" machine even from a stationary position can cost you some serious change. i always suggest to buy a "beater" and ride it for 2 years or 6000 miles minimum, whichever comes SECOND. and take an MSF course.

well, there's my :2cents:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Clarification, not disagreement...

My comments regarding the transition between dirt and street focus on the hazards that one encounters on the street versus the dirt. You might agree, we generally don't run across too many seniors aiming their Buick's at us whilst tooling along on a trail. I think of trucks, cars, pedestrians, dogs, spilled diesel fuel, potholes, tar snakes, truck tire carcasses, the occassional ladder falling off a pickup in front of you on the freeway (BTDT).

That's why I make the statement that other than "controls" not much transitions between dirt and street. We also often get somewhat complacent on the street with regard to hazard avoidance, vs the midset when dirt riding. I tend to be alert to mineshafts, rocks and sagebrush ready to jump out and grab a wheel or bar. Sometimes on the street, I drift off my concentration more often than on the trail.

The thought of a teenager hopping off a 250 dirtbike and onto a R-1, CBR or Duc, makes me think that the organ bank may get a deposit. Sad but true, statistically.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Tahoe said:
That's why I make the statement that other than "controls" not much transitions between dirt and street. We also often get somewhat complacent on the street with regard to hazard avoidance, vs the midset when dirt riding. I tend to be alert to mineshafts, rocks and sagebrush ready to jump out and grab a wheel or bar. Sometimes on the street, I drift off my concentration more often than on the trail.
well put. :thumb:

often when trail riding i get mentally tired as well as physically tired where as on the street i can tend to relax a bit more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what about like a Honda CBR 600 F4i or 600RR? Or I also wouldn't mind riding an R6 or a GSX-R 600. You think that a 600 would be too big? I'm planning on only riding in my neighborhood for a little and it is really light traffic. I am also not a speed freak I really doubt I'll ever try to go over 90 and that'd be on the highway after some serious riding.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sweetwater,

If this is a legit inquiry, please read this carefully and ponder it for a while.

All of us were young and adventurous once upon a time. I'm a 45 year old rider with 35 years of riding experience. I bombed around on wrecks in the fields for 6 years before I got my license. Within my first 3 years of riding, I had 3 major get-offs, one of which resulted in cracked vertibrae in my lower spine. Another broke a leg, and yet another totalled a 6-month old new bike.

NONE of those machines remotely compared with a run of the mill 600 built in the last 10 years. No sh*t, the 600's built in the last 10 years would spank ANYTHING that was racing when I was a young rider. A 10 year old Hurricane will launch you to 100+ in under 8 seconds and at that speed you die, not break, die.

So PLEASE, go with a beater for a year first. DO some track days (you have a couple tracks in FL that you can do cheaply) Save some $$$ until you are more experienced and understand your limitations! Then go buy the latest repli-racer.

If you follow your impulses, you are very likely, no make that 99% likely, to splatter yourself within a few months.

Please chill out a little, listen to some of us old pharts, and be patient for a year or so. You'll still be riding and your learning curve will move nicely without hospitalization.

Keep this in mind as well. We have another old phart up here in the mountains (some of the best mountain roads on the planet here, btw) he rides a KTM Duke...a puny 600cc single. I know some fellows that turn very impressive lap times at our trackdays who have been thoroughly spanked by that Duke. It ain't always the bike.

Food for thought.

Good luck.

Kev

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 748 and I don't think it is a good first street bike for the following reasons:

-It is a big turd when you are going slow (such as when tooling around the neighborhood). By that I mean it is really uncomfortable and really hot when your just putzing around.

- They are expensive to insure, especially at your age.

- They cost a TON to fix when you screw things up and you will if you ride long enough.

My advice is get something else to start with. I started on a Honda 450 when I was 17 and it was fine. It took me 14 years to get a Ducati and it was worth the wait.

I agree with the others that you should get good gear and take the MSF course.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are just looking to cruise the 'hood in flat Florida and get some women to ride with you, sounds like it's cruiser time to me. Yamaha 650 Star or even Sportster 883. Nothing wrong with that, certainly makes A LOT more sense than a 748 or R-1 for your scene.

·
Registered
370 Posts
other things to consider.... I ride exclusively (no car-only bike) and if this is going to be only transportation you MUST get gear (ESP rain gear) too if your riding in florida. the ninjas (250 & 500) have small (re: skinny) tires which make it diffucult in the FL monsoons that we get every once and a while. I've been riding for years and I still slip around on my 250. TRUST ME!!! You will get stuck out in one...

Take the MSF course!!!! I don't know what its like in central FL but it's a 2 month wait here in So. FL. :crying: Go get your permit so you can ride until the course is available. DO NOT ride with out your permit.... FHP and the locals are cracking down on unlicensed motorcyclists and THEY WILL stop you for no reason except to check for your MC endorsment.

I wouldn't buy new, your going to drop it. You'll save some $$$ on a used bike. You'll need the extra $$$ for insurance! I don't think your "rents" are going to like the $3000-$4000 :eek: in insurance a year for your bike. That's about what your looking at on those bikes and your age. If you get something less that 500cc that figure drops about 25% to 50%. Larry's idea sounds good, a cruiser sounds good and they are generally less powerful and more confortable. look for something water-cooled as well since the FL heat and suburban traffic are hell on an air cooled bike.

Best thing you can do: Keep these things in mind and go to a dealership and sit on them and get the info then Check out the Cycle trader for a used one...:2cents:

·
Registered
105 Posts
<---started on a 600. 2001 ZX-6R.

Dont do it... I wish I gotten a smaller bike for a beginner. Yes, I have layed it down. I want a different bike now but because went with an almost new bike, if I sell it now, I'm never gonna get what I owe for it because its been layed down. Start small and cheap...

you can probably sell it for what you bought it for 2 years later.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i would definately buy second hand 600 then use the extra money as your own insurance.....then get liability so it is cheaper and used the saved cash to fix the bike if you wreck
:D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
sweeth2o: If is obviouse that you have no idea of the "power to ratio" of the bikes you are talking about. They are like live bombs & act like it to someone that is not SKILLED in handeling a sportbike for they are NOT for novice riders.

Are you into any sport, hobby, or musical instrument? If so you would realize that in just a few easy lessons you will be so skilled you rank with those that have a few yrs of experience.

You do not have the experience of how to deal with the cages that simply do not see you or what it is like trying to keep the power of two wheels BALANCED from the time you take it off the prop stand to when you put the bike back on said prop stand. No idea of how the pavement can end up like being on ice or trying to stay upright on roller balls. The above can ONLY be learned in riding & one does not start off with a machine that is guttless to actually stalling at the lower revs & then simply explodes from under one.

The only way to learn is to learn on a bike suitable for beginners.
Above all take the MSF course even before you buy a m/c.

Remember if two cages have a minor 'fender bender' then it is who is in the wrong & who's insurance will handle the costs, but if it is you on a m/c & the cage driver in the wrong. Well note you will be down on the pavement like your m/c (which could be scuffed up or 'totalled') & you are on to the emergency ward in an ambulance.

We are not kidding you for some of us have over 50 yrs of m/c riding experience & yes in some cases we have looked at the foot at the end of the leg & noted it was in a strange position which means a busted leg amongst many things ONLY to find out the cage hiked it off & while illegal the driver got away with it or that the driver does not carry insurance & it is all out of your pocket.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would just like to add anything with 1000cc's is Not for you, dirt is not street riding, and the trees dont move!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, thanks a lot for all your help everyone. I am going to take the course because it is manditory here in FL, and I also think it is a wise thing to do anyway. I am actually planning on taking a few extra courses just to be on the safe side. I am still not quite sure which I should go for. I am considering three bikes; GSX-R600, F4i, and CBR 600RR. I have a few questions though. Which of these do you think is best suited for Florida weather. Thickest tires and the such. I am also a little conserned that the seat may get a little hot with on the RR with the exhaust like that. I know other bikes do this, but it seems like a legit concern. Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. And please don't think this is a flame. You all don't even know who I am. I'm not trying to waste your time. I am really just trying to make sure I make the right purchase.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts