Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the blackbird for high miles high speed trips but it's just not playfull enough for me. That's why I started it on a diet to get the weight down. Unfortunately, no matter how light I could make it that won't change the lenght of the wheelbase, the suspension, or the geometry. I'm looking for something smaller that I can toss around and just generally have more fun with. Finding something like this is easy. You can pick anything from a 600 to an R1 or even wait for a Gixxer 1000. The fact that makes the choice more difficult is that I will occaisionally do some pretty long trips. For example I plan to ride from here in WA down to my friend's place in San Diego in the spring so I can ride Palomar and some other places with him. From everything I've been able to dig so far, I am looking at getting a ZX9R. I've sat on one but they wouldn't let me ride it (I hate that!), and the seating position is quite reasonable by sportbike standards and it's still light and powerfull. Basically, I'm looking for help (opinions) on this decision, especially from 9R riders. Or maybe someone riding a 900RR or 929 could tell me how comfortable their bikes are for trips? Keep in mind the long trips are maybe once or twice in a season. As always your input is much appreciated.

------------------
James

If you're gonna ride a couch, why not just stay home?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Birdman,
I have a 99 900RR and love it. Around town it can be a little hard on your wrist after a while but out on the road it's very nice. Last month I went to the Testi-Festi over in Montana. It was a great trip, didn't get tired at all (ok my ash a little).

If you make it up to Spokane give me a call and we'll go for a ride. If we feel confident in each other as riders we can switch bikes for a bit.

Mike

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
you can keep your bird for high speed and high mileage rides and buy a used fzr400, nt650, cbr600f2/3 for teh price difference of buying a new bike. you'll be able to toss it around and have fun on them. just my .02. little bikes are big fun.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
It took me two weeks to get broken into the
R1, since then I can ride it as long as I
want, the only problem I have is that my
backside gets sore on long (300 - 400 mile)
straight trips. This could ofcourse be
rectified with a corbin.

The ZX9 is supposed to be the most comfortable
of the open class, though it does not have
the performace that the 929 or the R1 offer.
The 929 is supposedley a good blend of edge
and comfort. If I were in your shoes I think
I would be concidering the 929.

Just my opinion.

Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1:
If I were in your shoes I think
I would be concidering the 929.

Just my opinion.

Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHAT!! There's hope for you yet Chris! ;)

I agree with the previous posts on the 900RR, ~the worst part is the numb butt after awhile.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are so many good "fun" bikes out there that making a recommendation is hard. While true sportbikes like the R1 and ZX-9R are great, consider some other alternatives.

For example, the Suzuki Bandit 1200, Kawasaki ZRX1100 (or the new 1200 which is supposed to be better), the Kawasaki ZR-7 or 7S with a fairing or the new Yamaha FZ1. And as someone said the SV650 is a neat machine.

There are a lot of good, fun and comfortable bikes out there. Enjoy the looking! :)

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts