Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was 16 I have been wanting to learn how to ride a bike. The navy is about to send me to school for the next two months but when I am done with that and we get to my next duty station I am going to one off those rider courses and plan on buying a bike. I have a few questions though. Opinions on Buell and Honda sport bikes? I have never seen anyone ride Buell and I was wondering why? And I like Honda because I know they make good cars. I was also wondering what is considered high miles for a bike? I will be using this as a daily driver so I need something reliable. Thanks.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
If you haven't already, start with a read of the stickies in this forum.

Buell's are an interesting twist to the sportbike scene. I'm not really sure about their reliability. Buell Blasts are no longer made and by Buell's own admission, were a mistake. Avoid them. All their other bikes are liter bikes and probably not really appropriate for a beginner. But the bikes are really intriguing and I was going to check out the latest reviews myself. I've seen a few Buell's on the track and think they do a good job. Its the most interesting design, IMHO.

As for reliability, you'll get that from any of the four major major Japanese makers (Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha) with little difference between them. When you start talking others like Ducati and Moto Guzzi, then there's more maintenance involved, beside their higher up-front pricing.

When considering a company's quality, car has little to do with the equation. Bikes are made in completely different divisions with different engineers and researchers, so don't tie them together.

Hope all that helps you out. Welcome to SBW! :cheers:

One request of you. There is a very high rate of injured/dead servicemen/women who suddenly got the urge to take up riding. I appreciate the work you do and just ask you to take good care of yourself. Don't drink and ride, its just not workable. And gear up!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Agree with everything Kanwisch said.

Some new appropriate beginner bikes are:

Suzuki SV-650S.
Suzuki Gladius.
Kawasaki ER-6n.
Kawasaki Ninja 650R.
Yamaha FZ-6R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts