Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 22 yo female and I'm thinking about getting a bike. My boyfriend has a 2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 and I know for sure I don't want something with that much power as a starter bike. But spending time on/around his bike, I know I can pick it up from its side and have done some "rocking" exercises on it. I would really like to have a GSX-R 600, but he says that would even be too much for me to start on. The thing is, I don't want to start on, say, a Ninja 250 then move up to a 500 or whatever, then a 600 - I don't have that kind of money to just keep buying and selling bikes, if you know what I mean. Does anyone have any experience starting out on a 600 + bike who can give me some advice. Also, I plan to take the motorcycle safety class before doing any serious riding.

Thanks for any help you can give!! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a 22 yo female and I'm thinking about getting a bike. My boyfriend has a 2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 and I know for sure I don't want something with that much power as a starter bike. But spending time on/around his bike, I know I can pick it up from its side and have done some "rocking" exercises on it. I would really like to have a GSX-R 600, but he says that would even be too much for me to start on. The thing is, I don't want to start on, say, a Ninja 250 then move up to a 500 or whatever, then a 600 - I don't have that kind of money to just keep buying and selling bikes, if you know what I mean. Does anyone have any experience starting out on a 600 + bike who can give me some advice. Also, I plan to take the motorcycle safety class before doing any serious riding.

Thanks for any help you can give!! :)
I recommend u go ahead and get ur 600. People say start with a 250 as a first like i was told also. Its dumb my opinion. I wud have been so pissed if i listened to em. My first bike was a 2008 ninja 600 which i got 3mths ago. And i hadnt riden before in my life except for durin my motorcycle class which was only for 2 days and a year ago. My zx6 got stolen last mth and i was able to ride it a lot within the last 2 mths dat i was goin to upgrade if i had a chance. Well fortunately it got stolen and im about to go pick up a yamaha R1 end of this wk. Its about how u ride. And u'll get tired of the 250 in wks which will be throwin money in a garbage truck. Kinda like in the sprint commercial.:laughing: Go get ur 600 girlfriend. Plus i know girls ur size wit 600 as their first bike Gudluck.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I recommend u go ahead and get ur 600. People say start with a 250 as a first like i was told also. Its dumb my opinion. I wud have been so pissed if i listened to em. My first bike was a 2008 ninja 600 which i got 3mths ago. And i hadnt riden before in my life except for durin my motorcycle class which was only for 2 days and a year ago. My zx6 got stolen last mth and i was able to ride it a lot within the last 2 mths dat i was goin to upgrade if i had a chance. Well fortunately it got stolen and im about to go pick up a yamaha R1 end of this wk. Its about how u ride. And u'll get tired of the 250 in wks which will be throwin money in a garbage truck. Kinda like in the sprint commercial.:laughing: Go get ur 600 girlfriend. Plus i know girls ur size wit 600 as their first bike Gudluck.
I disagree. See stickies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the Suzuki GZ250? See, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I don't want I bike - even a starter - that I don't like the looks of. The GZ250 doesn't look too bad, but when I typed it in to eBay to see what used ones run, I couldn't find any. Are they a newer model? Or does anyone know where would be a good place to look for a used one?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I am unfamiliar with that model but am sure it would be great. Choosing a bike that's your style is fine, I wouldn't recommend otherwise. Just remember there are very good chances you'll drop it and/or crash it, so don't get too attached to the looks. Check out gixxer.com to see if they have info on the model for more community feedback.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I disagree. See stickies.
I disagree too. You should follow the advice of experienced riders, not that of someone who's been riding for 3 months. Would you let a 16-year-old tell you what kind of car you should get based on his driving experience?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I disagree too. You should follow the advice of experienced riders, not that of someone who's been riding for 3 months. Would you let a 16-year-old tell you what kind of car you should get based on his driving experience?
I'm sure if she wanted and mustang and the kid recommended a mustang she would.

Watch out for super rider cygnus ya'll. He's definitely badass, started out on a 600 and outgrew it in 3 months. :rolleyes:

Riding is more than just making it go straight and coming to a stop :p

You don't want a gsx-r1000 but you want a gsx-r600? What do you think the difference in the two bikes are? A 600 may seem to be close to half what a 1000 is but that's not the case. In reality, off the track they aren't much different. They are both race bikes with sharp handling, they will both go like a bat out of hell with the ever so simple twist of the wrist, and they are both unforgiving to rider error. Power wise a 600 is in the 120 HP area while the 1000 is in the 150 HP area. A difference of about 30 HP which isn't much when your already at 120 HP. Aside from the 30 HP they are same bike.

For reference the ideal beginner bike, which still can and does get new riders hurt and/or killed, is in the 30-50 HP area.

Do whatever you want, it definitely won't kill me. Just iterating that if you don't consider the 1000 a good first bike for you the 600 is hardly any different.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Your boyfriend is right. Start on a 250. People (like Cygnus) go on about outgrowing smaller bikes quickly, but I'm willing to bet you could ride a 250 for five years and never be able to out-RIDE it, never be able to push it to its absolute limit.

Cygnus - Wow, man, you're such a bad-ass. Outgrew a 600 in 3 months, so it's time for a litre bike? Hope your life insurance is paid up, wanker. :loser:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Your boyfriend is right. Start on a 250. People (like Cygnus) go on about outgrowing smaller bikes quickly, but I'm willing to bet you could ride a 250 for five years and never be able to out-RIDE it, never be able to push it to its absolute limit.

Cygnus - Wow, man, you're such a bad-ass. Outgrew a 600 in 3 months, so it's time for a litre bike? Hope your life insurance is paid up, wanker. :loser:
I agree but I think your over exaggerating on 5 years on the 250. If it takes you 5 years to find and ride at the limits of a 250 you either don't ride very much, and/or ride with a good bit of fear. Well that or you really suck at learning; did you leave the kickstand up, get off the bike, have it fall, pick it up, let go, and have it fall again without knowing why it wouldn't stay up? :p

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree with guys over here. You will have more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. If you started out with a gsxr you'll just end up scaring yourself most of the time or worse, and not be able to "ride" it (when I say ride, not just jump on the bike and make the wheels turn)

I started out with a 2000 Honda CBR600f4 about 2 years ago. I had the same logic as cygnus the first 3 months, then at 6 months I broke both my arms. I still have the f4 to this day. If I'm not mistake it only has 60-70hp but now I can out run most guys on newer model 600-1000s. I've gotten fast, but still not even close enough to reaching my bike's full potential.

·
Registered
8 Posts

cookeetree: I switched to an R1 not because i can outride a 600 or im badass but because where i reside i feel a 1000 was also a better investment for me when i do decide to resell it. So dats why u JERKOFF. And in adddition i aint no expert but if she rides a lot im pretty sure she's gonna outride a 250 in 5yrs u semen. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Looks like Cleveland isn't the only mistake on the Lake...

Regarding starter bikes - don't forget there's the 500 category as well. Although the 250 will be among the most forgiving, the 500 sits nicely between the ease of a 250 but not as potent as going straight for a 600cc model. I started on a GS500 and loved it! I *thought* I had outgrown the bike after 1 season, but over the last 8 years I've learned that bike had a lot of life left in her. After having a disaster of a bike for 5 or 6 years, I learned what I wanted in a bike, and I now have a bike I ADORE riding!

·
Registered
9 Posts
cookeetree: I switched to an R1 not because i can outride a 600 or im badass but because where i reside i feel a 1000 was also a better investment for me when i do decide to resell it. So dats why u JERKOFF. And in adddition i aint no expert but if she rides a lot im pretty sure she's gonna outride a 250 in 5yrs u semen. :)
seriosuly ...u semen wtf comon man plus if u get a 250 you will improve yer skills escpecially cornering cause you dont have so much power you can waork on skills and technique once u have down skills and technique then get some power and ull b able to ride with the best of em i come from a motocros backround and you dont see to many riders tht are good enough to jump the lites class and go rigth to the 450 because even thought they are pro they still have skills to be devloped in a more relaxed enviorment and get used to everything then move up but i mean i think the new gsxr 600 have some sort of butons on them tht can limit the power to it a b c iuno but choose wise good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts