Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pondering selling the 9R for a couple of months now. It's been a great bike and very fast since I've had the modifications done but I'm thinking of getting something a little bigger. I still want something sporty but comfortable as well. I have narrowed my choices down to the Busa and 12R. I know they are not superhandling bikes but I'm thinking they may do well on long trips as far as comfort goes. I have been to the dealerships and sat on both. Both seem to have more room than my 9.

I would like to get some feedback on what you guys think about these two bikes. I am normally very loyal to Team Green and have had nothing but great experiences with all the Kawasakis I've owned, but for some odd reason, I think the Busa is a good looking bike (I hope I don't offend any Kawasaki riders with that comment :) ).

From what I've read, both bikes are pretty close in the power and speed dept. Which do you think is the better handling bike. While my main goal may not be knee dragging anymore, I would like to know which bike would be better in that area if the need should ever arise. Is there anything I need to know about reliability with these two particular models that some of you may have come across by either personal experience or word of mouth.

Unfortunatley, my local dealer will not allow test rides and my current group of riding buddies does not include either of these two bikes so I will be relying heavily on what advice I get here.

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Stick to Kawi, the busa looks like a pregnant guppy. The 12 is lighter and cheaper than the busa, and definitely is more sportier looking

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shannon. Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards the 12R. Especially since the 2002 is coming out and it looks like they've really payed attention to improving the handling. Only problem is, it's not going to be offered in green!:(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kawboy said:

I think the Busa is a good looking bike (I hope I don't offend any Kawasaki riders with that comment :) ).
I am offended.:D Go with the 12R. It looks better, handles better, and IS better. The 12R will definitely please you in the twisties more than the hayaBUSa will.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kawboy said:
I know they are not superhandling bikes but I'm thinking they may do well on long trips as far as comfort goes.

Is there anything I need to know about reliability with these two particular models that some of you may have come across by either personal experience or word of mouth.

Thanks!:)
I have a hayabusa and it's reliable. 12K and no problems at all. And it handles just fine. The only thing is...it isn't easy to flip back and forth. It's kind of heavy that way. But that weight makes it nice for touring. Took several 800 mile/day trips with no problem.

Oh, yeah...it has plenty of power:D :D :D

One advantage the busa has over the 12 is that there are a lot of used busas out there for sale. I mean low mile used ones for about $8-9K. Just stay away from the ones that have been modified for even more power...IMHO stock is best for reliability.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ummm tough question to answer as both bikes are very similar in performance, Ive ridden a busa and i thought for it's size it handled it's self very well in the corners and i'm told by my mate who owns the busa i rode that he's ridden the 12 and he thinks the busa was more comfortable ( slightly ) so it's gonna come down to which you prefer the look of and what feels the best to sit on for you..... I haven't helped at all have I, Sorry.. Let us know what you get anyway.... :D :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your input. It is going to be a tough decision which may take a while. I just don't want to choose one and a few months down the road, wish I had gotten the other one.

Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
My husband has a busa and he thinks it's great. He's taken it out to see his daughter in Beaver Falls, Pa. about a 4 hour ride and even to Philadelphia for the day. Only that last hour from home coming back from his daughters he was ready to sell it. I often traded with him (yes, believe it or not) when we were on long rides because it was more comfortable to me than the 01' Ninja I had. He's wanted one for 3 years and he wouldn't trade it for the world now.:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I drove both and I thught the 12r was totally awesome. It was 10 times better than the Hayabusa. the 12R handled better and it was more fun to ride, but watch out that thing will rise at 500 rpms like it is going out of style. 12R hands down:drool:

·
Registered
698 Posts
No doubt you're getting totally opposite comments.

Read the magazine reviews between these two bikes. From the US mags to the UK mags they all say the same thing. The Busa handles better than the 12. The Busa is better suited for high speed long distance touring than the 12. Why did Kawasaki revise the 12 in 2002? To help it perform more like the Hayabusa. Suzuki didn't see any reason to revise the Busa since '99 'cause the bike was done right from the very beginning. That says it all.

If you want to just look at it logically, think of it this way: Since performance is so close, just look at what you get with each. The Busa has MORE torque and more comfort. Definitely a plus if you plan to go ST'ing. Plus it handles better. The 12 has LESS torque and comfort. It cost more too. And if you already like the look of the Busa, I don't see why you'd go with the 12 unless you just have to have a Kawasaki.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Which is better, Hyabusa, or zxr1200 kwak

What about all of those cam chain tensoner problems with the Hyabusa? Over on labusa a lot of people had motors destroyed because of the tensoner problem and the recall tensoner caused problems.

·
Registered
698 Posts
DoubleAught said:
Is it the longer wheelbase, extra weight, or lesser maximum lean angle that makes the Busa handle better??
Have you ridden a Busa before? I didn't think so. Fact is, those who've never ridden one will always say, "Oh! The Busa is long, fat, and slow steering." Always! But ride one and you'll see. ANd don't just ride it down your street then turn right at the next Stop sign. Ride it in the twisties.

Many, including motojournalists are surprised how well it handles, how quickly it turns, how far you can lean it. I'm biased because I have one. But I said earlier, read the reviews and see that the testers all say the same thing. It handles great even though it's big, long, and heavy. Looks can be deceiving.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah, Rogue, I've ridden one before, no shortage of them round here, and no, they don't handle better, though to be honest they aren't far off. Enginewise, the Busa certainly makes more midrange torque, but lacks the overwhelming top-end rush of the Kaw.
Said it before, ad I'll say it again, when it comes to either of these bikes, just pick whichever you like best because they're both capable of more performance than most riders who get on one, and if someone beats you on one, you're not going to beat them by going & getting the other one. If I envy anything about the Busa, it the wider selection of aftermarket accessories. Used to think they were ugly, but if you're around them long enough they start looking pretty good, though never as pretty as the 12. And my ownership of 2 12's and position as moderator of the Kaw board in no way influences my opinion ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree with Rogue, and not to knock kawi's (God forbid) but at least the Busa won't blow up:rolleyes:

If you can find a early ZX-12, then maybe you might consider one,IF you can find one that the crank has blown out of. The new one's have revised cams and FI (as in retuned for torque), not hp. Although the '02's are a little sleeker, they might be able to keep up with a Blackbird now. If top speed is not an issue, and it shouldn't really be, just go look at the fit and finish of a ZX12r compared to a Busa. What's with all the wires hanging out all over the engine?:barf: It looks like they were in a hurry to finish the last few details. My ZRX1200R is finished way better than a ZX12! At least Kaw got rid of those ugly '70 Nova mirrors for '02

To quote "Motorcyclist" magazine.... the ZX12R is "Ferociously fast but not perfectly finished". About the Busa they say ...."Still the fastest open class GT, and our favorite"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this isn't weird, here I am trying to convince someone to buy a Suzuki when I love my new Kaw ZRX.

Besides, if you buy a new green ZX12, it looks just like a 9.

If twisties is that big of a concern, and I doubt it for the street. Buy a new R1!:eek:

Weight ISN'T a concern!!!! The Busa weighs 10 lbs more, big deal!!!

Don't even think about an aftermarket exhaust for the ZX12r, it's computer doesn't know what to do. If you heard one just trying to idle, you'd understand.

Personally, I can't justify buying a proven inferrior bike for the superior price!:confused:

This is just my 2 cents.:eek:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Logon to LABUSAS, go to the ZX12 section, review the posts which includes timing slips, attempt to find similar times for Busas with similar mods, note the lack of ads looking for new engines, and make your own decisions.

·
Registered
865 Posts
All I can say on the subject is on one ride
with me on my 9R, a guy on a gsxr-750 & a guy on a Busa, the guy
on the Busa (at least 15 yrs. younger than me)
was wringing wet with sweat trying to keep
up with us on the other two bikes going thru
heavy twisties.

Besides, the 2002 ZX-12R in black/gold
looks killer.....:D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Okay DoubleAught, I forgive you. :D

And Cam, I sweat even when I'm not working hard so that doesn't mean anything.

Suffice it to say, BOTH the Busa and 12 are so close in performance, that criteria really shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I think the deciding factor should be, what are you gonna use the bike for? If you're gonna do more sport-touring the Busa is better. Nice to have a covered dash area(in case it rains and/or much easier to keep clean), and a more upright riding position(if you can call it that even on the Busa). Nice to have a BIG rear subframe handle too for general maintenance. BTW, the Busa can be fitted with a centerstand. A BIG plus when you need to lube the chain and you're 100's of miles from home. Nitpicking no doubt, but with these two bikes, that's what you gotta do.

If you're gonna be doing more track days and just plain blasting through the canyons, MAYBE you'll like 12 better. Although I still prefer the lighter steering of the Busa over the 12's heavier feel. I say "feel" because in no way is the 12 heavy steering, but Kawasaki engineered in an inherent stability in the 12's steering geometry. This makes the bike rock solid going through a turn, but it makes it somewhat reluctant to change lines midcorner. It will feel like the ZX7R. In the street, I sometimes need to change lines midcorner more often than I like. The slight pressure on the Busa's bars will do that. The 12 doesn't like it too much. But hey, you'll get used to it. Both bikes will handle very well. But the 12 looks more like a track bike.

And then there's the brand loyalty and looks. These criteria probably factors in more heavily than anything else. I don't have brand loyalty. And I like the looks of BOTH bikes. So neither criteria mattered much to me.

So go get which ever bike suits your needs and wants. You'll be happy with either the Busa or 12.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cam McFarland said:
All I can say on the subject is on one ride
with me on my 9R, a guy on a gsxr-750 & a guy on a Busa, the guy
on the Busa (at least 15 yrs. younger than me)
was wringing wet with sweat trying to keep
up with us on the other two bikes going thru
heavy twisties.

Besides, the 2002 ZX-12R in black/gold
looks killer.....:D
Who said anything about a busa or 12r being able to keep up with a 9 or750 in the twisties ???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts