Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at purchasing a condo in Sacramento today, which is about an hour from where I work (Fairfield, CA). Right now I only have a 20 min . commute to work on back roads that are fairly low traffic. I was just thinking what that commute would be like on my bike everyday- it's on a busy interstate. Is there anyone else out there who uses their bike to commute to work on busy roads like that? I'm more concerned with it being safe on a daily basis than comfort or anything.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ESanders2-

Just make sure it's the condominium of a lifetime if you're about to consider 80 minutes of additional commutation time into your day. That is more than six hours a week. Yikes.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I agree with Blue Jays, make sure you really like the place. But the commute is possible. I ride my bike 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way to class and back, most of the time stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Its tolerable, but if you can avoid it I would. The heat is the worst part, so dress cool but dont skimp on the gear. And make sure your ride is comfy:D

Sepias

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Wow, thats a long commute! I ride each and everyday. I'm 20 mins away from campus and 20 mins away from work so I generally ride atleast an hour a day (atleast 30 miles). Just make sure you have a comfortable seating position on your bike.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Hmmm...an hr. each way, and on a "busy" road...well, if it's a road like the 405, which can be like a Parking lot at times, with drivers that don't care if they hit you ..then I'd say Forget it...to much stress, at leasst it would be for me..but then I hated having to split traffic on any frwy...

·
Registered
66 Posts
i do a 30 mile ride to work at 4:30am, on a non-busy highway, but pitch black. and then a nice 30 mile ride home in the mid to late afternoon with traffic building, but no stop and go. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
an hour to an hour and a half

Yeah, sometimes its great, sometimes it sucks. It all depends on the traffic, and whether its foggy or not. I have to drive 53 miles one way a day, and 20 of it is through a low wetland, so fog on the road is a big problem in the morning, and then i have to deal with furry critters like racoons, and stuff. Traffic only gets to be a problem near the campus, and work which is near by the campus. Other students tend to get in a rush and fly through redlights, and so forth, i just try and be careful and keep my eyes open. I had an accident while coming home from work. Didn't hit a car, hit a :finger: racoon in the wetland area of the drive.

But anyway, if its nice whether, its a blast, and gives me time to enjoy my riding, and lets me just get in the zone before work and class.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, make sure that is where you want to live. If your familiar with So Cal, this buddy af mine use to ride his Bandit from Victorville to San Diego North County every day, one way was about 130 miles. He moved closer and then wrecked his bike, now he's looking for a replacement, Myself I ride 22 miles both ways and in the morning at 0530 it takes about 25-30 minutes to get to work, in the afternoon it takes about 45-50 minutes, this is in San Diego North County. Good Luck,

·
Registered
24 Posts
I commute 45 miles each way for work and in my opinion it sux. I never take my bike because Not only do i not like putting that many miles on my back but also it's just not worth it because it's all highway and to congested. at the end of the day i dont want to be dealing with traffic and other rush hour commuters on my bike just my:2cents:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I stay off the highways and take the back roads of where I can ride on the small sholder to bypass traffic. I just take the next turn even though its a mile long worth of traffic. I say its an advantage of being small.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would highly advise against any extended commuting between home and work, especially on a bike. A one hour commute each way is two hours of every day that you're spending on the road getting to and from work. Several years ago I commuted from Long Beach to downtown LA for work everyday for about a year (2 months on my bike, 1 month via metro, the rest via cage) and that was one of the worst years of my life. Riding my bike took the least amount of time as compared to my car and the metro (light rail), especially considering the fact that I was able to use the carpool lanes.

Riding to work was a pain 'cause I had to find a safe place to park the bike, get in/out of my riding gear and find a place to store it, helmet hair, and the changing seasons mean different types of riding gear. Don't get me wrong, riding was by far the most fun (I used to almost dose off while sitting in traffic in my car), but its also by far the most scary. I had many close calls though no accidents or spills - I'm a conservative rider.

Good luck with the condo!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies.

It would actually be an hour and 15 min. commute with traffic, and I've decided against it. There are other reasons than the commute I decided not to go with the condo - but the commute is one of them. That's 2 and a half hours a day in the car/on the bike - lots of time, and gas :(

I could save some gas by taking the bike, but considering that it has been raining almost every day for six months (i'm not kidding) i may end up taking the car more.

so i'll just stick to renting for now and be content paying someone else's mortage for them ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts