Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone up for GMR or Ortega and then going into long beach for the show this Saturday. Weather permitting (Ortega might be warmer early in the am). Other ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
apexismaximus said:
Anyone up for GMR or Ortega and then going into long beach for the show this Saturday. Weather permitting (Ortega might be warmer early in the am). Other ideas?
I'm riding the Rock Store Sat..how bout Sun..at GMR..to many cages on Ortega for my liking:D

Oh...and the weather suppose to be in the 70's..YEAH:D :D

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If we do the rock store sat, would you still want to go to long beach or is it too far. I haven't been to the store so I'm not sure if the logistics would work. I can't ride sunday so I really want to make the motorcycle show saturday along with some riding.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
apexismaximus said:
If we do the rock store sat, would you still want to go to long beach or is it too far. I haven't been to the store so I'm not sure if the logistics would work. I can't ride sunday so I really want to make the motorcycle show saturday along with some riding.
It's doable, we normally stop riding around 1, or 2pm, would take about 45mins. to get to the show..on a bike.. I wear my 1 piece suit riding, and I really don't wanna wear that to the show..not exactly a great fashion statment:D But..I could stop at my house, as it's ony 3 mins. off the 405...?? If it came down to it..I'd much rather ride..being as slow as I am, I need all the saddle time I can get, i.e. need to get faster every ride:D I don't know..you have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm probably gonna do GMR after talking to a couple friends from redlands over here. I plan to ride in my cortech jacket and jeans, weather permitting, to avoid walking around the show in a full suit. My friends havn't been to GMR yet so it'll make it easy to back off a couple tenths and ride appropriate for the level of gear or lack there of. Let me know if your plans change or if you want to meet at the show.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ill be at the show at 8am until whenever and then I have Christmas stuff to do on Sunday. Maybe Ill see you guys at the show though... Ill wear a SBW shirt :D

Interestingly Kawasaki is having a breakfast, giveaways and stuff to owners... Honda never did that ... :mad: :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm going to the show on Sunday,:) I have to work Saturday.:(

·
Registered
85 Posts
what show?

What am I missing? What show? Where? When? Will they have strippers there?

Seriously, is there a bike show or something in Long Beach this weekend that I don't know about? Please post a link or info.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cool, hope to see some of you guys there. Uh, Hondanut, according to this link you might want to get there closer to 10 am or your gonna be kinda cold and borred in the parking lot.:D :D

Basics: 10am open, 9pm close, 9 bucks in the door, bring a bike cause parking is free versus getting seriously raped like 7 bucks parking in a cage or something like that (the walk is usually a lot shorter too from bike parking), check this link;

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/socalifornia/home.asp

Yes this is the big anual traveling bike show, lots of gear vendors and all the major manufacturers will be there ( Kawasaki might even come.:D :D :D ).

·
Registered
85 Posts
HondaNut! said:
Hey man, where in Santa Ana do you live? Im in Costa mesa right near the plaza...
McArthur & Main, right around there, about a mile from South Coast Plaza. Small world!

I wanna take my bike, but I got my last GSX-R stolen in Long Beach, so I wonder how the security will be like there?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
WARNING, WARNING!!!

If they run this years show like they ran the last 5 years, they won't start selling tickets until 10:00am, which is when they open the doors.

Therefore you have several options:

1) Get advanced tickets.

2) Wear a jacket and comfortable shoes so you will be comfortable waiting in the long line.

3) Plan to arrive at 8:00am so you will be near the front of the ticket line.

4) Plan to arrive at 11:00am so you can buy your ticket and go right in.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Needa916 said:

McArthur & Main, right around there, about a mile from South Coast Plaza. Small world!

I wanna take my bike, but I got my last GSX-R stolen in Long Beach, so I wonder how the security will be like there?
Wow, I MUST have seen you before! We gotta ride sometime!

I would not take the bike up there, -too many people and crappy rent-a-cop security.

·
Registered
108 Posts
sounds great. i'm from Long Beach so i'm comin all the way from phoenix to be there. i'll be the L.B.C. squid gettin all the lady's, and some tickets too. but im at every down town event. most the time there fun. just watch out 4 da cops. but if your cruzin your cool. :D :cool:
anyways be safe fellas

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Well, I went to the show and here's my report:

Got there at 9am and the crowds were just coming. It was cool that we went to the Kawasaki 'breakfast' cuz we got into the show an hour early and for free! But, it turned out that the breakfast was coffee and muffins. :barf: SO, we had to go the Cafe and spend $17.00 on food :rolleyes: :mad:

I took the digi cam... but didnt take one picture. The show was -Ok I guess, but there was nothing very exciting to see that has not already been seen.

1. I dont like the Harley V-Rod at all! Ick! I do like the Fat Boy still, but not the ransom they want for one.
2. I saw the jeweled zx12 which I thought was gaudy but my wife thought was great.
3. We have been planning on adding a cruiser to the garage so we sat on them all and surprisingly settled on the Honda Shadow Aero. Thats cool cuz you can get them cheap and add mods and still be under 10k. :)
4. When we left the show at about noon, the line to get in was around the building and there were hundreds and hundreds of bikes!! HUGE turn out.
5. FINALLY, my wife wants to ride for herself!! .... a Yamaha Vino caught her eye and heart! :rolleyes: :D Thats cool though cuz they're cheap and she'll enjoy cruising to the beach on it.

The best part about the show was that I got a front AND rear stand for the 9 for $100!!! I tried them out and the quality is pretty damn good except for the paint which I care less about.

so, thats it. kindofa yawner IMO, but as they say, "a bad day looking at new bikes is better than a good day at work" :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to the show AND went riding.:D :D :D

I had a great time even though there wasn't that much new to be seen.

My take in no specific order:

Love the R1 for the monster performer it is but the looks are pretty bad accross the board this year. Even the silver and black leaves me a little off? The red/black/white is better in person than the hideous pictures but still not really very good on the eyes. I'd say I'd take the blue again this year if I was buying. The tail sections absolutely rock but the paint/bodywork makes me queasy.

Kawi has made by far the ugliest zx9 this year in burnt orange and black. Are they trying to take a loss for tax right offs or what cause I can't see how that turd made it out of committee.

Loved everything in the Aprilia 'tent'. I'd take anything from the rs50 to the caponard with hard bags. Even their scooters were freakin cool. I am very serious about getting a futura in a year when school is done and finances turn black again. IMHO, if you can't swing the 17 large for the mille r then don't settle for the regular mille, get the full body work falco (same engine as the 01 mille, same front end susp., good frame too, and less than 20 lbs heavier than the mille r according to the info today. Good looker as well. And 6 grand less than the mille r with probably 97% of the real world performance.

Honda had nothing interesting for me this year, 954 is great but nothing worth typing here. I see no real point in the st1300 at this point. Everyone says the goldwing is a great handling machine so for less than 2k why not step up and get a real tourer cause from the 8 inch bar risers I saw on the st13, it ain't got much sport in the sport tour equasion. If you want a true combo sport-tour, look at the duc4/futura/fj13.

The really exciting thing in the sport market IMHO was the firebolt. It really does look like a street/canyon winner. It'll never have the power for winning on the track but in the real world where I only need to go as fast as my next corner entry speed it's got some serious appeal. They were giving six mile test rides on 'the best curves in the immediate area' but I got there too late to get a ride. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind I FUCIN' HATE H-D for all the BS posing underpowered redneck lovin crap that they are but Eric Buell has a winner here if you are into corners and knee draging like I am. As long as it doesn't fall apart. We'll have to wait to see on that but I think they must realize what's riding on quality control with this bike.

The ride was good, GRR was full of rocks but the view was sweet today and once on GMR the road cleared really well and some great corners were run.:D

later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts