Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of bike transporting...

I have this lovely new truck, and no way of getting my bike in the bed. Nor do I have a trailer to use the lovely trailer hitch attached... anyone help a buddy out?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
solution #1: go to the nearest bike shop, or heavy equipment shop, or whatever, and buy a ramp (just NOT one that has lips on both sides, aka dirtbike ramps, it will scratch the sheit outta your fairings) or just get a wooden plank and use that (you can even get a metal end "ramp kit" for it so it rests easy on your tailgate)

solution #2: buy a trailer. you can get decent bike trailers or utility trailers (smaller ones, like 8x5 or less) for well under $500 (i got my 8x5 for $325, and its only 7 years old) or rent one from uhaul for 30 bucks

solution #3: grab two friends like flip said, and lift it in, but make sure you have 2 friends to help you lift it out

solution #4: have a buddy drive your truck or your bike to wherever you are going, i nominate myself if you need someone to drive your bike, haha

solution #5: get some plywood and some bricks, build a jump like we all used to for our pedal bikes, and jump your bike up into the back of your truck...while moving, cause that would be TIGHT!

im pushing for option 5, and let me come video tape it

·
Registered
732 Posts
xdbx said:
I'm in need of bike transporting...

I have this lovely new truck, and no way of getting my bike in the bed. Nor do I have a trailer to use the lovely trailer hitch attached... anyone help a buddy out?
Back the rear of the truck down into a ditch or even against a curb. Then walk your bike along a 2x12 board to get your bike in. Have some buddys around the 1st few time you do this just in case. ;)

mb.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ramps

We (Anderson's Motorsports) sell these very nice Aluminum folding ramps. They're about $100 or less and will last a life time. Come on in and take a look, ask for Steve in the sales dept. if you want.

You might want to call first to see what models they have in stock. they sell out very fast.
248-858-2300

Steven

·
Registered
746 Posts
You can buy a good fold out ramp for 100 bucks. Fly and MSR make good ones.

Any bike shop should let you use their loading dock or bike ramp for free and then just find another bike shop wherever your going.

I had this problem a few years ago, I drove around the local grocery stores and looked around back, most have loading docks for semis and that works great, there is usually a ramp that goes to the dock then just back up your truck. It may be slightly higher so bring a board to make up for that. Thats alot easier than pushing 400 lbs up a steep incline like a ramp, and driving it up posses obvious problems. Saw a guy fall sideways off a ramp, ouch, on the bike, himself, and his pride.

-M-

·
Registered
90 Posts
Or....I could sell you a perfect set of aluminum folding ramps, used 3 times, then I bought a trailer......perfect for loading onto the back of a pick up then folding and sliding in along the sides of the bike!
Paid $160......for both, call 586-202-9907 with decent offer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JamesZX10R said:
Or....I could sell you a perfect set of aluminum folding ramps, used 3 times, then I bought a trailer......perfect for loading onto the back of a pick up then folding and sliding in along the sides of the bike!
Paid $160......for both, call 586-202-9907 with decent offer.
do you have any pictures of the ramps? xdbx [at] comcast [dot] net

holy shit this got a lot of responses... thanks everyone, i'm going to drive around and see if i can find a grocery store around here with such a ramp this weekend. Still waiting on the thumbs up on the storage unit I could split, otherwise i'll keep it @ home in troy.

any idea how much tiedows would be? i found about $10 to be right, for 1 set, would I need 1 for each handlebar, then one for each of the back as well?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
xdbx said:
do you have any pictures of the ramps? xdbx [at] comcast [dot] net

holy shit this got a lot of responses... thanks everyone, i'm going to drive around and see if i can find a grocery store around here with such a ramp this weekend. Still waiting on the thumbs up on the storage unit I could split, otherwise i'll keep it @ home in troy.

any idea how much tiedows would be? i found about $10 to be right, for 1 set, would I need 1 for each handlebar, then one for each of the back as well?
Don't forget to buy a product called, "Canyon Dancer". It's a nylon/fabric strap that rests across your handlebars to prevent any damage. The Canyon Dancer is about $20 at Rec Leisure (in Farmington). You can get a set of ratcheting straps from kmart for under $20 as well.

-=bmacd=-

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bmacd said:
Don't forget to buy a product called, "Canyon Dancer". It's a nylon/fabric strap that rests across your handlebars to prevent any damage. The Canyon Dancer is about $20 at Rec Leisure (in Farmington). You can get a set of ratcheting straps from kmart for under $20 as well.

-=bmacd=-
protect handlebars from what?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
righton, gotcha

BTW, its a 6ft bed, do you think i'll need to cock it, or could i just drive with the gate down??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/IxdbxI/https://www.sportbikeworld.com/FallColorTour001.jpg

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
about the canyon dancers, some bikes need them others dont.
When you tie her down, some bike wont allow you to run a strap from the clip ons becouse the fairing is in the way.. ZX's and R's are like that. On more touring bikes, the bars extend far enough out, that you dont need them
I wouldnt think the F41 would need em, but I imagine the RR would...

Cock it. Once the front is compressed, it takes zero effort... but you could always drive with the tail gate down.. I do that when I got 2 bikes in the back

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the pieces just below the handlebars connecting the fairing ot the tank are just molded plastic, so even if straps rubbed there, they wouldnt be rubbing any paint off... I could wrap a few towels under each side to make sure nothing touched the side of the fairing too, could I not?

·
Registered
798 Posts
your truck is low enough... get 2 buddies and throw it in the back. One stays on the bed to "catch" the bike the other 2 will lift the front to the bed. then the one on the bed holds it in place while the guys move to the back and lift it up and in. you can get away without using a chock just make sure you have it tied down snuggly on the front and rear tighten the front down first then the rear. or you can always rent a trailer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ooo, hot ride :)

I thought about it, but I dont have the ball joint... possibility though, its just that I know they wont rent trucks to me when i was 18, do you know if they carry the same policy with trailers? (this was the uhaul on telegraph I believe.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yeah but they rent trailers, i know cause i did it when i was 18 (last year), rented a car dolley from uhaul.

for straps, go to autozone, they have some for 15 bucks that are specially made for motorcycles, u will see what i mean when you see them. i got a set and they work awesome. yeah just make sure they are far enough out, cause i know on my zx's they werent...that can cause some nasty shit with the fairings if ur not careful.

nice truck, ive been looking at those actually, did you lease or buy? i cant decide on a new dakota, ram, or toyota tacoma trd. although once my mustang sells im most likely just buying sonicbombs truck, but who knows when that damn stang will sell!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts