Sportbike World banner

Would you buy a 400cc in-line 4, or 650cc twin if they had real suspension parts?

• Yes

Votes: 128 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 67 34.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
That would be cool for us people with high insurance rates. My rates are high because of my age, but I'm sure more people would like them too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd definitely go in for one... I'd probably take the 400 :p

Fact of the matter is, in the twisties, 400/600/929/1000 are just a function of the pilot -- the better the rider, the faster the bike. We've said it before, and it's really true. In the meantime, I bet the 400 would be so fun to whip around corners!

So it would lose out in the straights (and of course, it would) -- It'll still do 100+ at top whack, and even if it takes a bit longer to get there... still faster and more fun than a cage!

I'll be taking the rvf then, please :D :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
One of the best handling bikes I owned was a Suzuki GSX-R 250. It had (comparitavely) no power whatsoever, but let me corner like I had God's hands.

I'd guess the suspension was quite good :) Better than I could use, certainly...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I did, but I still prefer a bigger bike for the street if I can only have one. An R4 would be be sick fun!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yamaha used to make a 250 Genesis as well, I don't recall if they did a 400 version too.

The 250 was rumoured to have some reliability issues and so forth, but having never owned one I can't really say. Certainly the R6/R1 series of bikes don't seem plagued by anything other than good, clean fun :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
redcliffs said:

I'll be taking the rvf then, please :D :D
Just like this one ? :D

I had to take this baby to get a new chain fitted for my bro-in-law yesterday (Friday). What a blast !! Handles like it's on rails, brakes like you've thrown an anchor out and goes like stink. OK, it needs a bit of reving but it's suprisingly tractable. Plus, no chicken strips. Muhahahaaa! :cool:

Another one for my fantasy garage. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
little bikes

I just got rid of an 83' vf500f. talk about fun!
It was no rocket by any sense of the word, but you could have so much fun on that thing. I thought it had more guts than my old ex500 (89 model) and I could outrun my cousin on his gs500e. Of course, when you get into that vintage, suspension and weight really hold you back.
All in all, I had a ton of fun on my vf and my ex, I just need some thing a little bigger for my physical size. All the suspesion and tuning in the world isn't going to make it any bigger!
If you ever get a chance to take a little bike out, do yourself a favor, RIP IT!
:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
The suspension on these little bikes are just fine. I've got a fully adjustable front and rear and I didn't play around with the settings for the first year. They're soooo light and manouverable you can misjugde everything from your driveway to your office and still get there in one piece. Mind you it could be the aprilia's seating position dont know if that makes to much difference...

I voted yes... everyones got to learn on something

·
Registered
29 Posts
What about a singles like the Aprilia RS50 They are great bikes on the tight twisties. :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
looking for an sv 650 for track use as we speak!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Little Sport Bike

I love a 400cc bike, My RDs are such fun around town. Just to hard to pay for the parts any more. Not like the like the late 70's when evreyone had one in there garage.:p

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes I would buy one,to me its not the size thats important but the amount of fun you can have with a lite ,flickable machine on a good twisty road.Everyone seems caught up in stats these days,they are clueless that a well ridden small machine can be faster than a poorly ridden big displacement machine and often more fun because you need to work it well to go fast.
:2cents:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have bought one! It is so much fun going scratching that surely it can't be legal! On tighter tracks it is superb. Heavier riders may need to freshen up the suspension but I weigh <150lb and it suits me great.:thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Absolutely yes. In 1989, I purchased a Yamaha FZR400 off the showroom floor and loved it from day one. Absolutely incredible in the twisties and it would give the 600's a run for their money with it's high rpm limits. Of course I would need to lose about 25 pounds and get back to my college days weight to really enjoy it now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
who says you can't get new suspension parts?

a bit of tinkering, maybe fabricate a piece here and there depending on which bike you are getting.. and you can always get new suspension parts...

certainly not a problem for the 400s!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the 650 twin idea!!

I had a 83 XS650SK P-twin, I turned into a cafe racer, put on fork and swing arm braces, bigger carbs, open exhaust, K&N Superbike bars and rear sets and it was a heck of a lot of fun. The new 650cc Kawi Twin looks like it might be right there, just more modern so a 650 twin is something I might buy!:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts