Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for about 6 months and I love it almost more than my member. I would really like to learn everything that I can about bikes. I'm working at the experience side but as for book knowledge I am at an impass.

I go to the university of Florida. 10 different libraries on campus and there might be 10 books on motorcycles between all of them. And some are repeats...

So since I am going to have to buy these books I was wondering if yall could recommend some of the better books.

Twist I&II
Is all that's on my must have list currently what other books do you recommend for not only racing theory but mechanics, maintenance, and tuning?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Sport riding techniques and total control are my favorites

·
Registered
338 Posts
I subscribe to "What you can't get from a book, real life experience"...It's really good and has served me well, it's also more fun than reading some book. :D

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
what other books do you recommend for not only racing theory but mechanics, maintenance, and tuning?
In the case of service, experience is best so picking a bike that you can get parts for cheaply and don't mind screwing up is a good idea if you're just starting out in the grease-monkey realm. You'll need the service manual for that particular bike.

I've been watching for a good anything on suspension tuning but haven't been happy with anything I've seen to date :(

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I've been watching for a good anything on suspension tuning but haven't been happy with anything I've seen to date :(
It's kinda tough unless you get a lot of track time. Most of the guides I've seen have been pretty much for setting sag, and a general explanation of what everything does.

I heard one of the MotoGP riders (Hayden, IIRC) wasn't too good at providing feedback to tune his suspensions, so they took him to a track, and adjusted one setting at a time. Go full stiff, send him out for a few laps, then go full soft, and send him back out. I think it would be awesome to have access to a track for long enough to do that.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
A friend just got back from a day with NESBA and said the guy next to him had his done by the track-side techies. Apparently it was night-and-day and they did an extensive amount, whatever that means. One cool take-away was a sheet with the init settings and the new settings so they could be played with some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts