Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I dont have a bike yet. But ive been wondering about something. Do any of you guys listen to musci while you ride? Like an mp3 player, or cd player at all?

I know this is unsafe, and you will prob call me a squid or newb or something. But i love listening to music while i drive, it "motivates" me. Might not be the best idea on a bike. But what do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Personally while riding a m/c I need all my concentration on the road & traffic so no music to me YET my forms of music are very important to me. This concentration is probably why I have rarely had a m/c accident in 50 plus yrs of riding.
I will allow it in my truck, but then it is with the volumn down very low & besides a cage is self balancing compared to two wheels of a m/c. Still I might do something different to most when driving my truck. Rarely carry a passenger & ONLYchap I do (which is about once every other week) is a fellow h/gun member ---we rarely chat in the truck & what he does is call out the blind side for the safety of us both. Prior to the range, at the range or at his home we yatter a lot about reloads, Govt, etc.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Personally while riding a m/c I need all my concentration on the road & traffic so no music to me YET my forms of music are very important to me. This concentration is probably why I have rarely had a m/c accident in 50 plus yrs of riding.
ALSO a MUST to save one's ears, while riding a m/c I have ear plugs in my ears to tone down the extreme noises from the winds.
I will allow it in my truck, but then it is with the volumn down very low & besides a cage is self balancing compared to two wheels of a m/c. Still I might do something different to most when driving my truck. Rarely carry a passenger & ONLYchap I do (which is about once every other week) is a fellow h/gun member ---we rarely chat in the truck & what he does is call out the blind side for the safety of us both. Prior to the range, at the range or at his home we yatter a lot about reloads, Govt, etc.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I listen to my Sony Mp3 player through my Chatter box when I ride. I listen to a wide range of music depending on the mood im in from Bob Marley to Dr Dre to Miles Davis. I also use the system to talk to other riders I ride with.

If you are new I wouldn't recommend it until your comfortable on the bike. But I would say don't do it if you can't talk on the phone while you drive a car.

In my Truck it's a different situation though. I regularly drive while I watch a DVD or the news and if thats not on I have a 12" sub behind me sending waves through the car!
;) :D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i listen to music all the time, it's made by my leo vince.

music+new rider=not fun lessons. keep your ears and mind clear. the sounds of a motorcycle are all you need.

i didn't believe when i first started street riding. first ride, i knew i didn't need a radio at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, thats the thing. I know i wont be doing this for a while untill im comfortable on the bike. Or even untill i can afford one after i get the bike, lol.

But i cant not listen to music while i drive my mr2 turbo now, just doesnt feel right. Even though i do love the sound of 15 psi :D

Well anyway, i see some do, some dont. Thats just what i was looking for. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I recently got a Sony Mini-disk specifically for long trips on my bike. I too run it through my Chatterbox. It's great in that I can record 5 hrs of tunes on each disk.....it's impossible to change a disk an ride at the same time.

Riding across the prairies or on a "interstate" can get very boring so the music helps keep me alert. Once the riding gets technical, or in heavy traffic, I prefer total conentration.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'll listen to music when I'm just droning along on a freeway ride. I just have an old discman that I keep in the tankbag and use the earphones that fit into my ears.

I won't do it when I'm riding the twisties. I would rather be able to hear the motor/exhaust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also listen

Hey all,

I find that the wind is so loud through my helmet that using earphones and playing MP3 on my ipaq keeps me focus. Depending on my mood, I may listen to jazz, reggae, pop or hardcore rap. My only thing is that I won't be able to hear the bike so if there is a problem or if I need to shift, I have to look at the gauges, or feel the bikes vibration. out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am the same way, music keeps me on focus, keeps me alive while im driving. Otherwise i sort of start to "daydream" and just look out the window or something.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Hmmmmm, I very seldom do long boring rides..so I can't comment on that part..But, I've never considered listening to anything except what's around me...even though it get's semi boring, I'd rather have my ears open to the sounds that might just save me one day.......:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like oldgixer, I use a Sony MiniDisc player, but only for "long, boring (read "highway") riding. In that element, it helps me keep my focus for long periods. Otherwise, my mind does tend to wander aimlessly...
I really wouldn't suggest you try it in town, or heavy traffic though. In that case, you need every sense you have. You really need to hear that 18-wheeler!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Larry Kahn said:
Listening to music while riding your motorcycle is like watching TV while having sex.
:) i think that sums it up the best.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I notice it's always the people from California or other places where it's generally hilly and the roads actually have curves that insist they'd never listen to music. Come on over here, the highway that heads east of here (towards Jasper) goes over 50 miles without a curve in it (the ones South and East aren't much better). Worse yet, try riding Calgary to Winnipeg....across the prairies. How do you spell relief.....M U S I C :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since I normally wear ear plugs on rides longer than 10 minutes, any kind of player would be useless. Ear protection is often forgot about as a piece of safety gear. But even the most quiet helmets will allow wind noise above 80 db at 60 mph, which is louder than a stock exhaust system. Ear protection also allows me to focus more on the task at hand. On the race track, I was instantly 1/2 second faster - that is way cheap horsepower.

20 years ago, I tried listening and riding on a sport-tour up in Canada. Way too distracting. My conclusion is if your bike doesn't make the music you want to hear while ride, get rid of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
heyy all, you might call em a a squid, moron, ykno, whutever, but i listen to music all the time, but i find that if i go over 80mph, the headphones blow off my head, lol. i never listened ot it when i was learning to ride though, i wouldnt have lasted very long at all.

but i figure, i have a $250,000 life insurance policy, so i figure i can afford for me to be burried, so i can afford to listen to music when i ride.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The headphones blow off.... please tell me this is a joke... Helmetlessness won't get much support here bud, so either confess the joke or run from the flames.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
can you imagine getting hitt in the head....right in between the eyes by a stone the size of even a dime getting tossed from a semi tire? cause i cant.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts