Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
crazy shit, RIP...and coincidental that yesterday i swear on my life lightning struck around my truck as i was driving to lansing. i was on m-59 just east of us-23, and omg there was lightning everywhere and it was striking like everything around me, and i saw one hit the road up in front of me some, and then it was like a minute later and a flash of light just like surrounded me, it was crazy i didnt know what the eff happened and i was like holy shit i think lightning either just struck right in front of me or next to me or around me, or who knows it coulda even travelled through my truck, but i woulda expected sumthin funky electrically to happen if it did. pretty crazy stuff, good thing i wasnt on the bike.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Neller0414 said:
crazy shit, RIP...and coincidental that yesterday i swear on my life lightning struck around my truck as i was driving to lansing. i was on m-59 just east of us-23, and omg there was lightning everywhere and it was striking like everything around me, and i saw one hit the road up in front of me some, and then it was like a minute later and a flash of light just like surrounded me, it was crazy i didnt know what the eff happened and i was like holy shit i think lightning either just struck right in front of me or next to me or around me, or who knows it coulda even travelled through my truck, but i woulda expected sumthin funky electrically to happen if it did. pretty crazy stuff, good thing i wasnt on the bike.
Wow man RIP dude,

Expert says that the safest place to be in a lightning storm is in your car. I forget the scientific name for it but the electricity passes harmlessly around you. Your car would be fine too for that matter except for maybe some carbon scoring. I saw them on Top Gear hit a new VW with a lightning machine. Crazy thing to see then they play the dramatic music and start the car up. They do crazy stuff with cars on that show I sure do miss it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Karmastuntra said:
Wow man RIP dude,

Expert says that the safest place to be in a lightning storm is in your car. I forget the scientific name for it but the electricity passes harmlessly around you. Your car would be fine too for that matter except for maybe some carbon scoring. I saw them on Top Gear hit a new VW with a lightning machine. Crazy thing to see then they play the dramatic music and start the car up. They do crazy stuff with cars on that show I sure do miss it.
Its related to the farahday (sp?) cage thing. Basically, electricity is a flow of electrons. Electrons being simulalry charged, repel each other. Thus when travelling down a wire, they try to get as far from each other as possibly, and the way to do that is to only travel on the outside of the wire. That is why a hollow wire can carry just as much current as a solid one. Its also the reason insulation burns off a wire when too much current is passed, the "skin" of the wire, literally begins to crawl.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Vash said:
Its related to the farahday (sp?) cage thing. Basically, electricity is a flow of electrons. Electrons being simulalry charged, repel each other. Thus when travelling down a wire, they try to get as far from each other as possibly, and the way to do that is to only travel on the outside of the wire. That is why a hollow wire can carry just as much current as a solid one. Its also the reason insulation burns off a wire when too much current is passed, the "skin" of the wire, literally begins to crawl.
I didnt even make it through the first second and my brain was fried....

·
Registered
465 Posts
When I was about 15, My mother and her friend got struck..
I didn't have shoes on and felt the blast about 75 feet away ( but memory fades ya know )

Anyways my mother lived, and my friends mom passed away that horrible day... I will never forget the look of BAMMMMMMMMMmm and two bodies falling limp straight down...
I went over to do CPR, the classes we took in Jr hi school had not prepared me for real life application... There was no muscle left , no stiffness left in there tongues, I had to like pinch there tongues towards the outer edge of there mouth... A sad sad day indeed.. I still think about my poor friend and how hard that must have been on him. He was hard as nails even as a kid and never cried a tear.. He grew up awful ruff after that also..

Ya just never know what events might shape your life.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sonny_TSBR said:
I went over to do CPR, the classes we took in Jr hi school had not prepared me for real life application... There was no muscle left , no stiffness left in there tongues, I had to like pinch there tongues towards the outer edge of there mouth..
The cracking of the ribs during compressions is what skeeved me out the first few times i did CPR. Especially on the elderly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts