Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting to ride and I have my MSF class Friday . I tried on some helmets at the store but none of the lids seemed to fit just ride for my head (you know, the egg shape kind ) so I ordered a Shark S650.

I ordered a small but then did a little research and see that the sizes in that model are a bit larger than usual lids and it is extremely noisy from the wind. The store I bought it from said that I can return it without a restocking fee and swap it for a different size or a different model of helmet. Should I upgrade to a nicer helmet? What kind do you think I should get? I don't really care about price as long as it is a quality/safe helmet.

Ideas?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Yeah, try it on when you get it. Online reviews aren't super-helpful WRT fit, so don't give that a moment's thought. This is the central reason why I advocate buying a lid in a local store, so they have a reason to continue stocking them and people can try them on. An online purchase is only useful if you don't have to return it. After the return shipping you'll be looking at the same cost you'd have spent locally.

Obviously that wasn't working for you because of the brands and models the locals carried, which is a common issue. Hopefully you chose a place that doesn't charge a restock fee, too. Try it on, if it doesn't fit make sure you know why it doesn't fit (too tight overall, forehead is pressed, cheeks hurt, etc). Be sure to wear it for ~10-15min if its a close call because the lining will form-fit over time. A headache is a bad sign :p If it still doesn't fit, take you complaints to the phone with the online store's customer service and pray they are capable of making a good recommendation.

Helmet shopping can be tough, so be patient!

BTW, doesn't your MSF provide helmets for the course? I've taken MSF in three different places and they all provided lids.....

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
I think most MSF classes provide them, but I brought my own when I did my class. Granted I brought my own bike too. Keep us posted on how the class went and what your thoughts were on it! :2cents:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts