Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
weave through some cones, emergency stop, couple u turns, prety simple, the fastest i hit was 15 right before the emergecy stop, saw 2 guys fail though, one of them previously had a license but had to take the test to get renewed he was harley rider said hes been riding his harley for 20 years looked like hes never rode before to me

this test is crap theres no way weaving through some cones prepares u for driving on public streets with cages o well good luck

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
FormallySmoke said:

this test is crap theres no way weaving through some cones prepares u for driving on public streets with cages o well good luck
How much would they have to pay you, as a license examiner, to get on the back of someone's bike, knowing they have no experience, and let them take you out in the street......;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Probably more than they would pay you to follow behind in a DOT car with a radio talking to the guy on the bike with a DOT headset in his helmet.

Derrrrrrrrr................

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Years and years ago it was emergency braking around a painted barrier, stopping with the front tire in a box, U-turns within the confines of two painted lines, and a cone weave. I personally found the U-turn to be the most challenging on a normal-sized streetbike.

The secret to the cone weave is carrying enough speed so the motorcycle can be effectively leaned. If you ride 2 m.p.h. and try to "finesse" it through the cones at slow speed, one is bound to eventually nick one of them with the rear tire.

Nobody needs the hassle of returning to the testing site on multiple occasions due to failing a section. Either practice in a parking lot using an exact copy of the test (made with masking tape) or rent a 125cc bike for the roadtest.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live in OH, so I can't vouch for consitency in tests, but should be similar. Nobody rides on your bike or follows you in a car, but you do it in a parking lot with cones and a test official. Three exercises:
1) Enter a 90° turn to the right, accel., then brake to your entry speed before you hit the cones, then continue through ~150° right turn, come to a stop at the cones.
2) Enter a box. Ride to the end of the box, do a U-turn. then do a U-turn the other way. Effectively a figure-8. Exit the box and make a hard turn either left or right.
3) Speed up to between 12-18 mph, wait until your front tire gets past the cones, then emergency brake. Your distance will be measured.

This test is easy. If you think you might not pass, take the MSF course. You will have much time to practice, the course is only $25 (the same ast taking the test,) and when you pass the course, take the certificate up to the BMV and they will just give you your license.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dunno about your MSF course, but Wisconsins is about 90 dollars, and the wait list is about 10 months... so that might not be an option for him.

Also in WI, they do just give you a headset and follow you on the road and you just perform standard driving techniques while someone gives you instructions over the headset.

·
Registered
24 Posts
kypdurron62 said:
Dunno about your MSF course, but Wisconsins is about 90 dollars, and the wait list is about 10 months... so that might not be an option for him.

Also in WI, they do just give you a headset and follow you on the road and you just perform standard driving techniques while someone gives you instructions over the headset.
Wow, 90 bones? Yeah, ours is 25, and about two months wait. I didn't think it varied that much from state to state since the MSF is a nationwide organization. Maybe it has something to do with the sponsor??? Ours is sponsored by Honda. I know that about every major make sponsors various schools around the country.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
kypdurron62 said:
[B
Also in WI, they do just give you a headset and follow you on the road and you just perform standard driving techniques while someone gives you instructions over the headset. [/B]
Sounds kinda like talking on the cellphone while you're driving.....

·
Registered
848 Posts
The MSF course is free to residents of PA. I took mine over 4 years ago. I found it much easier to get helpful tips on how to ride AND get my license for free than it was to make time to get to the DMV, borrow someone's bike,.... get the picture?

It's usually pre-registered WELL in advance, but if you show up to a site and someone else doesn't fill the pre-registered spot, you get in. Just remember that you must have a valid permit, long sleeves, long pants, over the ankle boots, gloves and a helmet to take it.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
For my TN motorcycle driving test the lady said, "go out there and do a figure 8 around one of the light polls then come back and park."

By the time I got around the pole and headed back in she was turned around and walking back in to print my license. :D

I road the bike to the State Police facility. :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
saturntangerine said:
The MSF course is free to residents of PA. I took mine over 4 years ago. I found it much easier to get helpful tips on how to ride AND get my license for free than it was to make time to get to the DMV, borrow someone's bike,.... get the picture?

It's usually pre-registered WELL in advance, but if you show up to a site and someone else doesn't fill the pre-registered spot, you get in. Just remember that you must have a valid permit, long sleeves, long pants, over the ankle boots, gloves and a helmet to take it.
Scary

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah I think WI's MSF is 90 dollars because the state doesnt provide as much funding as some other states do. WI is a pretty big m/c state, especially harley's, so I think they are a bit fed up with us.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
kypdurron62 said:
Who wants to buy a new bike anyway? I really dont like the whole 500 mile break in period.
Break in on new bikes is a joke. I didn't ride mine any different in the first 500 miles than I do now. It isn't as big of a deal with late model bikes as it was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Not the MSF, but a Cdn small course around the same. I remember a chap taking in in Vancouver B.C., in '89 & felt it was the best $250.00 he could spend on m/cint yet I know some of the States were hiked up to 150 to 250 smacker this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts