Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was on my way to work. I see a couple white unmarked impalas posted up infront of a school zone. Pass by cautiously like everyone else, then take a short cut at a cross street to miss the upcoming busy intersection. I pull up to the stop sign no cars infront or to either side of me so i turn. Not 3 seconds after I turn I see in my mirror an unmarked running the stop sign flashing his lights. I pull over thinking he's going to pass me up to bust somebody...that somebody is me. So we go through the normal routine...license and insurance.

officer: How come your bike doesn't have a inspection sticker?
me: It does (pointing to the tire hugger)
officer: Why you got it hidden there?
me: I don't know? That's where the inspector put it.
officer: Well I pulled you over cause when you passed me I noticed that your plate wasn't visible.
me: Really?
officer: Yeah, when your on the bike, half your plate tucks away behind the fender, but when your off the bike its fine. I got it on video, also you didn't use your signal or its not working.
me: Nobody was there to see my signal, so i didn't.
officer: Okay, well there's a lot of bikes being stolen around here. I'm giving you a warning. Figure something out with that plate & get it taken care of. (hands me the slip of paper)
me: Okay.

Then he puts out his hand for a farewell hand shake and I stood there staring at it for a couple seconds. Then he opens his hand wider and I put my hand out. I get to work & look over the paper, and notice he's listed 3 diff. citations. (1)obstructed view of L.P. (2)Fail to signal. (3)No MVI Displayed. The first two I have no problem with because I installed the underseat plate on a hide away hinge and I didn't feel the need to signal with absolutely no one around. Is it me?...or why do I feel a lil tight that he put the inspection sticker not being displayed. Its not my fault that the inspector placed it there and it is still visible when standing on the side of the bike. I'd have a talk with someone if I had got an actual ticket for all this, but I didn't and got off with a warning so I'm not upset. I am very glad that I decided to finally bring the new insurance paper with my bike this morning.
P.S. I know warnings don't go on your record but do you know if it stays in their computer system? Because I really don't want to move my plate. It was a bitch finding a spot with the undertail exhaust & all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im pretty sure even though you didnt get a citation they can still put a note on your record for the next cop that pulls you over to see

·
Registered
65 Posts
You're gonna be off your bike when they look at it to see if the plate is visable, and like you said, its visible when you are off your bike. So unless the same cops sees you again, you should be good.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
man, that one hell of a nice cop. I've never had one offer to shake my hand before.
The inspection sticker can be anywhere. I used to have mine on the bottom of the tail. The sticker doesnt have to be visible when you pass by (after all they never really are).
As for the plate, the most important thing in texas seems to be that its lit, with visibility being a secondary issue (within reason). Take a look at my gallery, maybe you could fassion something like what I got (black faired bike), its seems to please the cops fine.

And yeah, they will have a note about you for the next cop that pulls you over

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Is the inspection sticker just a Texas thing? I hope so, because as far as I know I dont have one... Glad to hear you got off with warning though.

Sepias

·
Registered
892 Posts
ya i have only been stopped once while on my bike and i got a warning as well. i was taking the onramp to the hiway and i notice the cop directly behind me but i was just riding and the bike was bone stock so i didnt even give it a second thought. (i was in albuquerque at the time). we were all behind one of those big lincoln navigators and it was going ...no shit...15mph and wasnt speeding up worth a damn....we were on an onramp! thats the whole point of the onramp! to get up to speed. anyway it was a two lane ramp and there was nobody in the other lane so i gave a quick signal and blasted around him ... maybe at like 40-50mph....not an excessive speed for an onramp. and like a 1/4 mile down the hiway he pulls me over. he asks for the usual, liscense, insurance, and registration. i had bought my bike in cali two months earlier...so naturally i had no registration except the temporary from the dealer. (in cali they dont need to post temporary plates on new vehicles). also my insurance is from colorado since that is our home state (wifes a traveling nurse). and get this....i have a cali drivers liscense since i wanted to ride the bike and i wasnt going to CO anytime soon. and on my cali liscense was a CO address...lol. I think this just confused the cop cause he was back in his car for like 10 minutes (while i'm sweating my balls of in my gear)...he comes back and says well u should get an new mexico ID if i'm going to be staying here for a while (what a tard), says dont go so fast around people like that...and sends me on my way...no paperwork or anything...so i get on my bike like nothing happened. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
my inspection sticker is on my front left shock housing, up enderneath the front end. dealer did that when i bought it. i moved my plate from the rear to under my tail but it hangs fine no matter what, i also installed an LED to shine on it for the dark rides in the morning. cops pass me by. (picture attached)

you will only have an inspection sticker somewhere if your state requires inspections, and i know FL doesn't require, MD only requires one inspection at the time of purchase, and PA has Yearly safety and emissions testing! a big rip off at over $100 for both tests.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
tru7627, post a pic of your bike and where the tag is located.

I think the cop stopped you to check your bike out, because those things are so minor that he shouldn't really have stopped you. Unless the cops in your area are bored and overly funded.

As for the inspection sticker, most dealers I know put it on the forks either near the axle, or behind the cowl plastics. Legally speaking, as long as you can visibly see the sticker when the bike is parked you should be fine.

The plate on my bike is located under my seat all the way under my bike (front of the rear tire). I haven't had any problems with local cops and I've been stopped many times for other shit. Its clearly visible when a car is directly behind me.

I've never heard of anyone (car or bike) who have been stopped because they didn't signal correctly. Its understandable if you didn't signal in traffic, but if your alone... there's no point in using it. I call BS on that one. And besides, it doesn't really help on bikes since no matter what, cagers never see us.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I agree with JBaz. That cop was checking you and the bike out. If there are alot of bikes being stolen then it is likely he used that shit as an excuse to pull you over.

Personally I don't have a problem with that. I lost my RC to a thief so I don't mind some profiling if it helps find bikes.

I'm always happy when I get a warning. I don't give a shit what he writes down.

Damn I'm glad TN doesn't do that inspection shit on motorcycles.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
With interest I note in your post, so your words, it reads "--the underseat plate on a hide away hinge---". Sort of interested in your words for it is saying something like being hidden from other vehicles.

So many people believe in tucking things away & not thinking of what others see--especially a LP so others cannot turn them in for whatever. After all if he was told to keep his eyes out for bikes that might be illegal or stolen THEN he was only doing his job.

After all you only got a warning ticket so consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
27 Posts
From a California perspective - You were lucky. And that seemed like a nice leo.

Here, particularly with the Highway Patrol,
1-you would probably get the no-signal ticket, since they were already writing,
2- they would do the license plate citation. We have specific rules about that stuff.
3 -It would piss-off the cops here to discover your little hide-a-plate. Who knows what that might bring on.
We don't have seperate inspection sickers.

So, chill and get the sh*t fixed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup, I agree. Lucky day for you.

Here in NH, we've got explicit rules where the inspection sticker is to go, left front fork down by the axle. License plate rules suck here, I'm gonna have a bitch of a time pleasing the locals when I get my undertail on. I've got NO clue where to mount the plate. As for the signal? I'd have gotten the ticket for not signaling, AND a citation for my non-factory signals, even though they're DOT approved. On top of that, he probably would have dB'd my pipe (90dB @ 7k with the meter 10 feet away says the law) and I'm RIGHT on the line there, so he mighta written me up for that too if he was holding the meter an inch too close.

Yet, Harleys can run around with straight pipes and no signals all day long and not be bothered :mad: This state sucks for plastic bikes..

/rant

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Fkwyman said:
Yup, I agree. Lucky day for you.

Here in NH, we've got explicit rules where the inspection sticker is to go, left front fork down by the axle. License plate rules suck here, I'm gonna have a bitch of a time pleasing the locals when I get my undertail on. I've got NO clue where to mount the plate. As for the signal? I'd have gotten the ticket for not signaling, AND a citation for my non-factory signals, even though they're DOT approved. On top of that, he probably would have dB'd my pipe (90dB @ 7k with the meter 10 feet away says the law) and I'm RIGHT on the line there, so he mighta written me up for that too if he was holding the meter an inch too close.

Yet, Harleys can run around with straight pipes and no signals all day long and not be bothered :mad: This state sucks for plastic bikes..

/rant
That sucks.

I operated my RC51 with race bodywork, NO signals at all(did have brake lights most of the time), and car driving lights for headlights. :p They never did a thing to me. Although we did avoid Deal's Gap during the silly "police sting" weekends. We actually asked a cop to look at our bikes while they were in the truck before we took them out. He told up, "if you go to the Gap with those you will get ticketed this weekends but the deputies will be outta there by 4pm." He then said, "sorry guys, county sheriff is under pressure from one of the legislators."

We just thanked him for the info. Our race engine builder also does the Knoxville police bikes so we usually get some sort of heads up when the crackdowns are going to happen.

I actually got stopped in Kingston, TN the week after my RC arrived. I took my helmet off and he said, "Are you John?" I laughed and said, "yeah." He said he heard that a John was taking delivery of a new one so he wanted to see it. He apologized for stopping me. I just told him, "no problem." :)

Needless to say, the cops around our area are pretty cool and like motorcycles. If you treat them right most of them will treat you right. I've never gotten a speeding ticket on the bike. Always warnings. I've only received 2 warnings in my life in a car and one of those was my former little league baseball coach that happened to be and Arkansas policeman.

·
Registered
462 Posts
clutchslip said:
We don't have seperate inspection sickers.
What's the deal with inspection stickers? Is that like a smog check for bikes? Does the DMV send you a letter saying you gotta get it inspected before you can pay registration? :confused:

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
lateott_156 said:
What's the deal with inspection stickers? Is that like a smog check for bikes? Does the DMV send you a letter saying you gotta get it inspected before you can pay registration? :confused:
It varies from state to state and can even vary within states. In TN there is no state vehicle inspections. In the past some counties required it but I don't think that is the case any longer. Arkansas requires state inspections on vehicles but it's not difficult. NY requires them and they are quite a bit more stringent. Some states have you get inspected when you purchase a vehicle but most that require one do it as a yearly inspection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about the late response but I have 3 day weekends & since I sit at my desk 10hrs a day...I'm not trying to see a computer on my days off.

Back to the topic @ hand.

Yeah, for those of you that don't know about "inspection stickers." In Texas we have yearly inspections. They check lights, blinkers, horn and brakes. They hop in your car/bike take it down the street/around the block and pull back in their garage to check all the lights (in most cases). They scrape your old sticker off, place a new one on & then you pay them $12.50. But in some cases, if the inspection place wants to be a bitch about it then they check under the hood for any additions you may have placed.
Unlucky for me last year they started doing emission testing here in Austin. Which means an additional $16 on top of the $12.50 inspection fee. Not to mention the separate $50 (per vehicle) for the yearly registration sticker.

I don't have any pics of my plate. But my plate setup is alot like Titanium6r. Being that the plate is under the seat between the passenger pegs. Mine is on a hinge for easy bike cleaning :twofinger , seriously though I haven't used it for running. I've pulled over everytime I've been stopped. Always coming off with warnings, but never had a cop say they couldn't see my plates or sticker. Its a bitch placing it anywhere else do to the undertail exhaust, guess I'm going to have place a strap around the exhaust & hang it from there. My pops finds it amusing since I don't have all the spots to place my plate/sticker like he does on his Goldwing.
Not bitter though cause I know it could of been worse. My pops thinks that he was racial profiling, but I don't know. Like someone said earlier I don't mind if they are actually trying to locate a stolen bike and not for a b/s reason to cover it up. I do feel lucky not only for the warning but also for not getting hit over the head with his asp, tazed, or caught bullets. The police around here are starting to be known for killing or given ass whoopings & getting off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
12.50 for inspection? juses C#[email protected]&*. consider yourself lucky, here in good ole PA, its like 30 for the safety inspection and 40 something for the emissions. (for autos) when i bought my bike and the dealer did the inspection, it said over 100 for the inspection on the bill of sale!WTF. and its yearly!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah it sounds like you losing on the inspection cost, but then again I hear msf courses in PA are free. Cheapest I found here in Austin was close to $200, but I guess u'll make that cost up in a few years. Thanks for the cheer up Titanium6r. j/k

1 - 18 of 18 Posts