Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any experience with the license plate spray that diffuses the light so the plate won't get picked up on red light camera?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do what I do: Just take the danged plate off. Now I run red lights with impunity, and it's great! Oh sure, I've totaled a few bikes, broken a few bones, and lost about 40 IQ points from getting my bell rung. But so what? It's a dangerous world out there no matter what you do, so you may as well run those reds and enjoy it!

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
While I think it is an incredibly stupid idea to run red lights on purpose, there is no law saying your plate must be photogenic, only legible.

http://www.phantomplate.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow!

All of you guys who replied must be the local catholic priests I see riding. Not a single one of you has ever ridden his bike above the posted speed limit, made an unsafe lane change (oops I forgot to use my blinker) or rolled through a stop sign. What a bunch of f'in hypocrits!

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Re: wow!

veloking said:
All of you guys who replied must be the local catholic priests I see riding. Not a single one of you has ever ridden his bike above the posted speed limit, made an unsafe lane change (oops I forgot to use my blinker) or rolled through a stop sign. What a bunch of f'in hypocrits!
Strike one! (Just a hint, you don't get three):thumb:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
veloking said:
Great, now we got a baseball umpire in the crowd.
No, just someone trying to give you a hint that if you want to remain part of the board you will not use personal attacks. Calling us all hypocrites is not a good start for your second post. If you'll take the time to read the above posts, we were actually trying to help you and point you in the right direction.

If you want to ride like a :squid: go ahead, but don't attack us for calling a spade a spade. Don't come crying to the boards either when you wreck or get a ticket because of your riding, as you will find little sympathy.

·
Registered
860 Posts
dont they have things out there that snap a photo of your plate while you were speeding too....as in get a ticket in the mail saying 60 in a 45. I know that is 15 over but where i live the roads are so sparesely populated that is the minimal speed if you not doing 55 you will get passed up

·
Registered
860 Posts
what else that i dont get is that will all the technology out there someone cant make a device that can easily defeat a radar and/or laser gun. Im talking about the as in lets say your doing 83 in a 70 MPH on the 3 lane interstate and ole smoky hits his gun on you....with the device it would send a dummy signal back to him saying that your only doing 70 or so. i would gladly pay good money for this device.

·
Registered
460 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
what else that i dont get is that will all the technology out there someone cant make a device that can easily defeat a radar and/or laser gun. Im talking about the as in lets say your doing 83 in a 70 MPH on the 3 lane interstate and ole smoky hits his gun on you....with the device it would send a dummy signal back to him saying that your only doing 70 or so. i would gladly pay good money for this device.
that may work if you are not going that much faster then everyone else. However if everyone else is doing 70 and your doing 80 chances are they are going to realize that you are speeding. Since you would be passing everyone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I run red lights all the time. Those that use loop detectors. I hate those things. You can be at a red light forever because the bike does not have a big enough magnetic signal.:finger:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In late 40s till mid 50s we would simply slap on any old plate hanging around or would take a new plate & pound the 'ell out of it along with never cleaning it.

I remember once we were receiving tickets for competiting on this piece of land in Observed Trials (they were in the wrong for the owner had given us the OK & it was the 2nd yr we had been using it). As the cops found out all of us did not seem to have our DLs with us or kept digging into our pockets to find the wallett or such & taking so much time, so was taking down the LPs & there is my "works" 350 AJS leaning up against a tree with the LP simply clogged with old & new mud so he put his foot up to scrape mud away & down went the bike & ALL said something like "JC the stupid arse kick Smitty's "works" bike down", sounding like he had kicked a young girl in the face (for it was quite an uproar) & with that, though other bikes to check, he gave up knowing he was in trouble.

He was to stupid to deal with the Stewart of the event, though Percy presented himself politely & instead threw him into the back of the cop car with an arrest. Mind you at the first he told him to shut up, & as Percy would not into the back only hands were free & out the other side of the car & on top to call out "Hear, hear I will have you know I am being illegally arrested by the city police" (stong Brit accent much like a House of Lords at Parliment in type of speaking) so yanked down & this time cuffed & in the back. Sure Percy won the case & made the cop & others that turned up to look like fools.

I am positive he felt he was amongst a dangerous crowd of murdercyclists.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Snake said:
I run red lights all the time. Those that use loop detectors. I hate those things. You can be at a red light forever because the bike does not have a big enough magnetic signal.:finger:
+ one, I run them when they don't work too, but we don't have red light cams here. :D

James.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
There is a difference between running a red light when it doesn't work and running them just because it's too inconvenient and you can't be bothered to stop. I could be mistaken, but I think the cameras only take pictures for a few seconds after the light turns red. If you are sitting at one that is not changing then I don't think your plate will be photographed. The pictures aren't taken constantly, that would be an enormous waste of film and time reviewing the useless photos.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I run them when they don't work, which is often. It's usually not a problem due to sufficient traffic to trip it for you, but late at night it can be bad. I'm just waiting for the first ticket from running one.:mad:

It's unbelievable to me that such a broadly used device is so flawed in its operation. There are intersections here where the light is very necessary due to no sight distance. Then, when somebody gets hurt and sues, as I would hope they would, they'll be accused of all sorts of abuse of the system and give fodder to the tort reform (translation to English: liability limits) crowd. If I produced such a flawed product I would expect to be sued and would expect to go out of business. I can't believe the product has made it this far with such basic flaws in its sole purpose to exist, reading traffic flow and turning on a light.:rolleyes: If that were my product, I'd be ashamed to admit it.

Hiding your plate is no way to approach the problem. Aside from being illegal, attempting to beat the system will not play out well over the long haul.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
spicersh, you have no idea what my motivation for asking is but yet you jump to conclusions. If you don't know the problem how can you offer a solution? I asked for results not opinions on my motivation for asking. you're assuming you know my intent. wrong assumption.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
veloking said:
spicersh, you have no idea what my motivation for asking is but yet you jump to conclusions. If you don't know the problem how can you offer a solution?
Maybe when you ask a question like that, the motivation should be included if it's anything but to attempt beating the system. The only problem I'm aware of with the kinds of behavior described, is the problem of the sportbike riding image that we all deal with from jerks who run from the cops, hide their plates, and pull all sorts of other idiot stunts. If there's some legitimate purpose, why not stop at your local police station and ask them if the stuff works. You know how sketchy the internet is for good information. Get it from the horse's mouth.

veloking said:
I asked for results not opinions on my motivation for asking. you're assuming you know my intent. wrong assumption.
Well, you got the results of asking opinions without describing motivation. Try resubmitting with the full story. If that doesn't work, maybe it's you.:dunno:

Sooo, what'e your noble purpose? Maybe we can all benefit. We try to do that here, give other riders helpful tips. In between that, we screw off and beat each other up.;) :D

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
I am not condoning this plate cover thing, then again I am not against it. It's the simple idea of supply and demand. One moron makes one, 3 million want it. Moron #1 laughs all the way to the bank. I have heard that in some states it is illegal to own these types of things.

I am not saying that I have not run a red on my bike. I did it the other day. Country road, no cars, the light could not pick me up. I MADE SURE it was safe, and went through. If I had gotten stopped I would have explained the situation to the cop.

I am sticking with Dad and spicersh on this one, with out more input, we can only assume what we want. Not trying to flame you or anyhting like that, but you have to look at it like a buddy coming up to you and saying "Hey, I heard a good joke today".... and then leaving it at that. We need more input! :thumb:

My :2cents:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts