Sportbike World banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Is a broadside the worst kind of accident? And by that, I mean a motorcycle hitting the side of a car that pulls a left turn in front of him. I've heard these kind of moves by cagers are fairly commonas they often don't see the bike.

Has anyone had experience with this, avoided or fallen victim to it? Any tips for avoiding them?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
If you mean, like a head on, or gettin T boned...yup, depending on the speed, they are often fatal..:(

This is a good example of why to ride defensivly, and maintain good vision as far down the road as possible...and Not to speed..:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
ESanders2 said:
Is a broadside the worst kind of accident? And by that, I mean a motorcycle hitting the side of a car that pulls a left turn in front of him. I've heard these kind of moves by cagers are fairly commonas they often don't see the bike.

Has anyone had experience with this, avoided or fallen victim to it? Any tips for avoiding them?
Not necessarily. To say one crash is worse than another is very hard to do. There are so many variables that have to be figured in.

Getting thrown clear of the crash could be a good thing or getting thrown could mean you end up underneath a oncoming car.

I have been on a lot of motorcycle crashes, quite of few of them fatals. It all depends on if its your time.

Last fall we had a double fatal where a bike with two people was traveling southbound on a highway. A truck pulled out infront of them and drove over them. They had no chance. Didnt have time to brake, lay the bike down, nothing.

Just be aware of as much as you can

There are two types of bikers. Those who have crashed and those who will crash.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
rip the jacker said:
haha......no:(
Mate, people die. Pedestrians die. Bicyclists die. And you can be sure as hell that motorcyclists die. Death doesn't have a favourite brand, model or capacity.

You do, however, have a degree of input into whether or not He comes knocking at your door:

Wear gear - It's not just for looking pretty.

Ride within your limits - Your brain controls your wrist which, in turn, controls your speed.

Ride smart - There's a time and place for acting the goat. Peak hour on a freeway is neither of those.

Watch out for everyone and everything - Every motorist on the road has the potential to kill you. Every bump or patch of gravel has the potential to throw you off. These are but a couple of the hazards that you'll face.

Now, as gruesome as that all sounds, it's reality. Take it easy. It's a jungle out there.

Keep it rubber-side down. :thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok so i had my first "crash" today earlier. i was on my weathered '95 cb-750 (thank god) and i was heading off the interstate. as i was riding on the off ramp traffic ahead had a green light turning left (as i intended to make it with them) so i kept a steady pace. well someone pulled into my lane up ahead apparently and cut off the driver in front of me. all i can remember was thinking "wow theyre almost stopped and im going 40". so i applied strong brakes and of course, since i have worn front brakes nothing happened there. BUT the rear wheel brake is plenty strong and there is absolutely no feel in it so it decides to lock up. i then commence a leisurely slide towards the car in front holy crap im going to hit the pick up trucks bumper and im going in his bed. i decide to twist the bike right in attempt to go around and go in the empty lane (there was a driver to my right so i did not want to change lanes) cuz i had no choice. i just missed his car but left leg didnt. the bike fell on its side and i came off standing up with a huge scrape on my shin. it didnt break thankfully, just sorta hit it. the pick up truck driver was a young guy and he raced back to help me. he says," are you alright? ive gotten in plenty of bike wrecks in my days". that made me feel better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I really appreciate everyone sharing their stories of 'almosts' and 'lessons learned' about crashes. I am still very new to motorcycling, a fact that I was reminded of yesterday. I had my first real scare with running it wide in a corner. I was going entirely too fast through a twisty section with my friend following (part of the reason for my mistake, going too fast, trying to impress a fellow rider). I went into a right hander way too hot, leaned the bike over, but not far enough. I started to run it wide into the other lane, only to hit a tar snake in the middle of the road which made me lose traction. This is where I really got scared. Out of fear, I stood the bike back up, thinking "Oh my God, I'm going to crash," only to be driving 5 feet or so over in the left-hand lane. Thankfully the other drivers were driving defensively. A car on the road swerved and missed me, but I came within inches of going head on with a fellow motorcyclist on a cruiser. Scared to death, I stopped at my next intersection, my friend saying, "You are fucking crazy man. You're an idiot." Guess I impressed him. :(

The whole rest of the bike ride I was just thinking about how I could get rid of this damn bike. After reading these posts, it sounds like most everyone has made this mistake before, but learned a valuable lesson. I thank God I was given a second chance out there.

Lessons Learned:

1) Don't ride faster trying to impress others (I'm an idiot)
2) Slow the hell down out there. The street is for riding. If I can't realize that, and enjoy a simple ride, get rid of the damn bike
3) 5,000 miles still makes you a newbie

Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well look a couple of pages back I had a post before. Well here comes another one.

On 8/28, I got nailed by a VW Passat, into my right side. That was some shit to experience.

I purchased the bike a day before. I am excited it is a newer 2002 GSXR 600, (fuel injection rocks), the power is great, it feels nice. I made my friend / co-worker meet me at my house to watch my 6 just in case something happens to my new bike and I need a ride. Everything is great.

We approach our industrial area, and I get behind this Passat. We are doing 15mph behind this guy. I am thinking he is on crack because he is weaving in and out of lane. So I decide to keep it cool and stay behind him.

We come up to an intersection and I see that on the next block, a semi is comming out of a building, so I decide to turn left. Right before me, the passat actually goes to the right, crosses the intersection and stays to the right. I decide it is safe to take the left now and proceed. I go slow due to people crossing, all of a sudden some shit is hitting me in my leg and I go flying. I could not beleive this fucking shit happened out of nowhere. My friend cuts the guy off, and blocks him. Witnesses tell me that the guy started a U-Turn while I was rolling into the block.

Now the bike is trashed. Both left and right fairings are messed up. The fork bent, and the rim broke. He hit me from the right side, so everything went left. The upper fairing broke. My friend told me that once he hit me, the front of the bike got caught under his car and fliped over, sending me flying.

The bike still runs, and everything works, doesn't even leak. I guess it was slow enough.

Well for me. I came out better than my bike. I landed on my helmet, my jacker is scraped up on the right, my SIDI boots took the hit from the car and are all fucked up (right side). Oh I have a scratch on my left knee, about half inch long, a scratch on my ass :eek: , black and blues everywhere. Neck was sore for a couple of days from landing on my head I guess. Other than that, I am fine now, and rebuilding my bike. Can't wait to have it all up again. Oh, and I actually sold my old bike to my neighbour two days before that. So I have no bike for now. :hurl:

I don't know if this could have been avoided, but it teaches you a lesson. You never know when some moron will take you out for no reason.

Hopefully his insurance will pay for all of this. I have witnesses too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
slickgt1 said:

Well for me. I came out better than my bike. I landed on my helmet
Probably the most important part of a story on here. I saw like 8 of these stories with landing on their head (with helmets on) and a few of my friends ride without them sometimes still. They'll do 40mph wheelies without them and I tell them they're stupid as hell because, would you agree if you weren't wearing your helmet you'd be jacked up if not dead right now?
If someone says "oh helmets are for wussies" google motorcycle crash and look at a few of the picture from guys who crack their skull open. Very disturbing but it was enough for me to realize you need a fricken helmet on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
good thread

my first bike, being 14 was a 150cc trex, now a 150cc bike and the 100 dollar razor pocket bikes are totally different,my friend had one of those, we were riding and he crouched down on his bike like he wanted to push them a little, of course, being 14, i did, as i pulled of from him, i looked ahead and saw a car coming into the intersection from my right, of course owning the bike for 48 hours i didnt know what the hell to do, so i tried using the back brake, and of course i locked it up, and slid smack dab into the front left of the car, so then, i was on the hood, and two black guys get out of the car both about 17 or 18, and ask me for money, i told them i didnt have any, so they put the bike, which wasnt in that bad of condition in the backseat and drove off, lessons learned: dont be a dumbass :laughing:

·
Registered
34 Posts
okay heres my story....its not on a sport bike, it was on a atv, yamaha yfz 450 to be exact. me and my friends were down at the river and they have this little track there anyone can ride, a local farmer brings his tractor out and builds it up....so i came unprepaired equipment wise, all i had was a helmet, i was wearing shorts, with skater shoes. and the motor was hot so i kept my foot on the outside of the peg.

well i had about 2 laps around the track...and i hit a jump and land it beautifully. i go around the corner into the "woops" my feet are still not set from landing the jump... and my foot slips off, goes under the rear wheel and wraps up in it, it drags me off the bike and i go sliding for a while because i was at a good speed. so needless to say i broke ym leg and foot, and had hella road/dirt rash

LESSON LEARNED: dont ever forget proper equipment, if i would have been wearing riding pants or boots, this wouldnt have happened, and if it had happened while wearing boots, i probly just would have sprained my ankle instead of being on crutches all summer

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been riding street for 20 years and have not gone down YET. I have no doubt that some day I will go down and I always gear up.

I have had TWO very close calls though.

I don't know about other states, but in CA you can share lanes during bumper to bumper traffic and at stop lights. It's legal.

I was coming home from work on the 405, bumper to bumper traffic and I was scooting along in between lane 1 and 2. I ALWAYS watch for open spaces in traffic and for cars trying to change lanes into the open space.

I come up on an open spot and a van to my left, darts into the open spot right in front of me. I was literally 10 feet behind him when he made his move. I was able to ride alongside the van (within inches) and make it into the next lane. It happened in a blink of an eye. After it happened I was so happy that I instantly reacted to the situation instead of panicking/freezing up.

Another time I was at a stop light in the right lane, no cars in front of me. The light turned green and I road across the intersection and turned right, into a gas station. While getting gas this guy drives up to me screaming and yelling about how I almost bought the farm, you are crazy, what the f where you thinking etc..... He was pissed.

I thought the guy was crazy, I had no idea what he was talking about.

Turns out he was turning right at the corner the gas station was one and turned right behind me but wasn't paying attention and almost ran me down as I was turning into the gas station.

I tried to explain to the guy that it was his fault but he was convinced that it was mine.

Careful out there, its a jungle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heres mine I was turning right on a wierd uphill turn doing about 20 leaned to much and went down. This is a story of getting to exicited hopping on and turning on cold tires stupid. One good thing I always do is wear my helmet. I looked at my gloves but, didn't put them on and man even at low speed road rash hurts like a bastard. so always wear gear or at least long pants and shirts.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
gixxersix00 said:
...so always wear gear or at least long pants and shirts.
Long pants and shirts are best left for when you're going somewhere in your cage. On your bike, you need to wear GEAR.

If I'm heading somewhere where it's not appropriate to wear gear, I take the cage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At a buddies neighborhood pool all day and had a great time. It is now about 10:30PM and I have not been drinking but everyone else has. I am bored (all the girls had bf's) so I think I will go out for a half hour ride. I had on tennis shoes, khaki shorts and a t-shirt. Helmet of course.

As I was gettin onto a divided highway I start to crest the hill and look over my shoulder to see if there is any traffic to merge with. As soon as I look up the road bends right and I am heading for the grass triangle between the on ramp and the highway. The next thing I know I wake up across the median and staring at a semi-truck turning not to hit me. I have 22 fractures mainly in my legs and ribs. I also had a seperated shoulder that required surgery. Alot of skin was donated to the Missouri Dept. of Transportation that night. I was doing about 65 maybe more. When I saw the triagle I did not have much time but I think I grabbed brake... I do not know or remember.

I think my tire "ramped" the place where the road rises out of the grass and that is why my tailbone is still black and blue after almost 3 months and my wheel is broken.

I learned:
1. Always wear gear. I will never go out without at least jacket and armored pants.
2. If you ride at night, look more carefully at the road.
3. Motorcycle headlights suck...even the new ones with nice bulbs.

What I want to learn:
How sharp can a bike turn at that speed?
Should I have tried to turn?

101 - 120 of 139 Posts