Sportbike World banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Smitty said:
Beinging a STICKY & not to change the subject. It might be a good idea to go back to the original & then check up on the names of others AND are they still on this board, have they gone to another board, have they quit riding or what?

We have found out whatever handle/name one started out with it sticks with them & they cannot change it. So if some were in their first or 2nd yr of riding are they --- well still riding??? Gives one some thought I do feel!!!!!!!!
Well I'm still here and riding. Haven't been on the board for a while, but life seems to get in the way a lot these days. I have another story from a friend of mine who bought my ZX6 (non-R). He'd only had the bike 6 months before this happened. Glad I'm a proponent of good riding gear.

In his own words, here's what happened:

Hows things going?_ Hopefully you had a good weekend._ Well at least better then mine._ I've got some bad news to tell you._ Over the weekend while riding, i dropped the bike._ A pretty bad one at that._ I'm fine except for a little soreness._ Nothing broken or bruised except the ego and confidence to get back on a bike for now._ The bike is in pretty bad shape._ I'm gonna try and take it to a shop today to see how bad it really is._ The situation to how it happened was, I was coming around a corner probably i'd say 60MPH nothing ridiculous considering the speed limit is 55MPH, but while corning, I got on some small sand-like gravel that pushed me towards the outside of the corner._ While doing so, my inexperience lead my to change my field of view and target fixate where I was heading and not were I should have been going and because of that headed off the asphalt into a grass shoulder._ Well to make long story short, bike leaned over for a corner does not like to run through grass._ So I start to run into the grass and thats where the bike dropped and sent me flying through the air about 8 feet from where the bike landed._(never hit asphalt, just grass and dirt)_Luckily enough, its amazing how protective you are when you have a helmet, jacket, gloves, long pants, and boots will do if/when you do fall._ Once I stopped, I sat up took the helmet off and couldn't believe that I_did something like that and then I'm still around._ I'm pretty shaken up by the whole thing and like I said it may be a while for me to get back on, once I do or am able to get the bike fixed._
_
Just wanted to let you know._ I'm fine though._ Nothing broken or bruised, except just sore._ Well ride safe and sorry to break some beginner inexperience bad news to you.

Ride safe man, you never know whats out there.

-- Omega

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just curious

how many of the people who crashed their bikes have clean driving records while driving the four-wheelers?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
ME.
Ok I have a wreck on my 4wheel record, but its a not at fault. Someone ran a stopsign. Come to think of it, thats exactly what happened to me on two wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
exactly my point.

Also, what's up with everybody (esp. n00bs) and wheelies?
I went through the MSF course, and rode my Duc for a week, before i even knew what a wheelie was. My gf ended up explaining it to me. (English is my 3rd language, but that's besides the point)

People think about wheelies, and they haven't even sat their a$$es on a bike yet...

How many of you wear motorcycle-grade pants? Meaning properly padded etc.?

I have been riding in jeans, but now that I read all this stuff, I'm kind of leaning more towards this:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Wheelies are just cool. They are tied to motorcycles from a cultural stand point. However it was a year before I ever tried one. And yes I do wear full leathers when I got riding.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Man we could start an old soviet block corner

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
rooos said:
Communists on two wheels..
Da! Thats what I'm talking about, comrade!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i hope vash sees this.....

dont drive in sand parking lots by the beach doin 3 mph, and if you do make sure you are wearing your gear so when you fall you can f'ck up your bike and your brand new very expensive gear instead of get a little scratch on your arm and ankle because thats OBVIOUSLY a major injury.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
No need to be all that defensive.
I dropped my bike doing the exact same thing before. With gear on. I cant even tell where my jacket got scuffed at. It gets more damage defending my from the daily assult of bugs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Vash said:
No need to be all that defensive.
I dropped my bike doing the exact same thing before. With gear on. I cant even tell where my jacket got scuffed at. It gets more damage defending my from the daily assult of bugs.
Werd, I whacked a huge bee the other day with my helmet. I almost shit my pants when it smacked the glass, point dead center. The bug came off right away, but the smudge kept pissing me off. Had to pull over to clean it, I was loosing my focus by staring at the smudge every two seconds.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Wait till you hit butterflys... the leave the pritiest colorfull stains....

·
Registered
193 Posts
this may, or may not count, but here goes

Last summer, one week before the end of school, i was out riding the 230 dirtbike, going on a trail that was APPARENTLY 2-way, but was not marked as such, this trail goes through alot of brush, and has several blind corners, i was going around one of these, and saw a group of about 8 ATV's come around, taking up the whole width of the turn(i wasnt excactly on my side either though)

needless to say, it was a VERY bad time for my brakes to go out(rear brake atleast, i wasnt use to the disc front brake enough to dare using it) and i hit one of the atv's and flew off, hit the ground, and was run over by another one(thank god it was one of those little 50's)

ended up with a green stick fracture on my forearm, some bruises, and the fear of anything on two wheels for about a year after that (last monday was my firs tride since then, the bikes bars are still twisted a bit)

also, since of the timing, i only got one week "off" school (really means having someone lug all your crap) and about a month of my summer down the tubes (this 3 month block of time is known to trigger psychotic tendencies at the loss of it)

point? NEVER assume that a blind corner is safe

·
Registered
577 Posts
young and squidly

My first crash on the street happened nearly twenty years ago, I had two streetbikes and a dirtbike, a Suzuki GS550ES a Kawasaki EX250 and a Yamaha YZ250. My friends invited me to ride with them to the "Rock Store" on Mulholand hwy near Malibu. one friend was on a Honda CB750k and the other was riding a Honda VFR700. I hadn't riden the little Kawasaki to to Rock Store so I took it on the ride to see how it did on the tight roads in the area. My friend had both passed a pickup truck at some point and I had to wait for the next stratightaway with enough room to pass, I got around the truck and by this time my friends were several turns ahead, I opened the little ninja up to catch up to my friends and was sixth gear pinned to do so. Just as I had them in sight I entered a left hand turn way too fast, I knew I was going to crash, so I road off into a plowed field, the first bump I hit that bottomed the suspention I let go of the bike and streched out flat superman style. As I was sliding across this dirt field at 80+ mph I looked around to see where the bike was (a habbit from riding in the dirt) and it was right next to me going end over end; I looked forward just in time to see the levee that I plowed with my head. The face guard on my helmet hit me in the face so violently that I blacked out. I was aware that I could hear and that I seemed to be bouncing but there wasn't anything else. I came to rest down an embankment near a stream that runs through the area and I was proped up on my right elbow. A young man probably about my age who was on a Yamaha YSR50 that I blew by was the first one to get to me. I'm laying in the dirt proped on my elbow and I'm thinking "why is my nose running?" I focus my eyes on a rock on the ground and I see blood pouring out of my helmet onto the rock, I sit up; now I realize that my right shoulder hurts like hell and I take my helmet off, I can tell by the YSR riders face that he is grossed out, by now a bunch of people seem to have come from out of no where, woodwork, under rocks, I don't know but everyone is asking me if I'm okay, I respond "I have a concussion and my shoulder hurts" I stand and look at my hands, the palms of both gloves are torn open but my skin is un-injured, there are scrapes across my leather motorcycle jacket where I appearantly bounced over a large boulder and slid over the top on the way down the embankment. My motorcycle was upside down 10 or 12 feet away from me, I asked someone to shut the ignition off so it wouldn't catch fire. Two guys picked up my motorcycle and oil was pouring out of a hole in the clutch cover. I remember an old man with a half helmet and a long beard riding an old BMW 650 smiling at me and saying "It don't handle too good in the dirt, dose it?" I was smiling and laughing, after all I was still alive and my friend on the CB750 rolls up laughing his ass off at me--he had seen a black streak cross his mirrors and didn't realize it was me until I didn't show up at the Rock Store.

the lessons I learned from that crash is, never ride over your head, don't ride stupid, if you fall behind your friends will wait for you, helmets save lives, and it is wise to have a friend who can give you a ride home even if they tease you about having to ride bitch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had several crashes in my younger days. But the funniest one I ever had was when me and a buddy who was on back were on a street bike... flying through the woods and we came to an opening where there was a whole family sitting in the middle of a service road by the river bank fishing right in the middle of our path.... they saw that there was no way I could stop in time.... they threw their poles down an ran for there lives. I locked my brakes down and slid across every fishing pole that family owned....... we bit the dirt hard and fast..... We got up and apologized and fled so we wouldn't have to pay for their fishing poles while they just looked shocked and stunned. That is the hardest I have ever laughed in my life while I was in pain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
wow where to begin...ive been driving bikes of some sort (dirt/street) for 13 yrs....for the dirt bike part, ive had bad crashes but nothing more than road rash and a serous headache. Riding a dirt trail when I was about 17 i came to my favorte spot, about a 4 ft rise at it great for jumping one way and a good drop from the other way, well as I was approching it i sped up a bit so i could make a nice drop, well as i hit it, i foud out the some one added a bump to the top of it...so its liking hitting a 9" speed bump before a 4ft drop, well as the bike and I go straight up then back down my knees move on top of the handle bars, when i land my knees hit the bars and the bike just keeps going, sore knees and all.
So after that i always watch for new changes in the road im on...

Just last year i was riding my dads SV650S. I was going about 90KMH or 55MPH with nothing in frount or beside me, and a transfer truck about 800m behind me. Next thing I remember is hitting the pavement hard. When I was able to think clearly me the bike and 3 car loads of people and a dead deer where all to the side of the road. I was wearing a good helmit leater gloves naylon jacket, sneakers and 2 pair of jeans( it was november)so wasnt hurt too badly major headache and 2 small spots of road rash. The bike was hurt tho, needed frount aligment, almost every farring, lights, and a mirror. The deer was killed instanly.
From that ive learnd the sometime shit happens, so i gear up everytime I go out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
blackkaw said:
Several times in the past I wound up running wide in a corner and panicked and hit the brakes standing the bike up and almost ran off the road . Every time that happened I was looking at where I did'nt want to go .. so naturally that is where I went! well last week I followed a friend through who is way faster than me. Found myself going alot faster than usual . I started to run wide but I didnt give up and hit the brakes or look at where I DID'NT want to go .. I looked at where I wanted to go ..countersteered more while getting on the gas...and I made it through!!
Originally posted by Deathcannon
2. You are going wide, probably because you are taking it too fast. Don't fight it. If you are already in the turn, **Don't hit the brakes WHATEVER YOU DO***. Keep an even rpm and lean the bike over while prayin'. Then you will laugh at yourself when you find the bike did it easily and you didn't even get over far enough to drag a knee. Hahahha. But if you put on the brakes the bike stands up and runs wider, right off the ROAD. Once in the turn you are committed, and you don't have enough time to stop anyway. Better retrain your thinking.
This is exactly what happened to me! Please pay attention to this.

I had been riding for 6 weeks on an 03 ZX636 and was cruzing Big Cottonwood Canyon in SLC with two other bikers. One was my friend on a Triumph TT600 who had bought his the same day as me, and the other rider was my brother on a friend's R6. We were/are all pretty inexperienced.

We ride this canyon pretty regularly and I was feeling pretty confident on my bike. We made it to our usual turn-around point at Solitude Ski Resort, and noticed that it looked like a rain storm was approaching. Instead of stopping to rest and talk, we immediately started to book it back down.

My buddy hit the gas pretty hard and I took off right behind him. 5 seconds later we are doing about 65mph (45mph limit- woops) entering literally the first (mild)right turn. He goes wide into the oncoming lanes (2 lanes up , one lane down) and I go wide behind him. He leans it over and makes it but I sit up and hit the breaks. My bike starts sliding on both wheels going straight off the road. Speed has dropped to about 45mph- I let off the breaks and try to turn it but it won't turn. This causes another panic, I grab the breaks again and high-side left. Everything seemed to feel like slow-motion from the time I sat up to when I hit the pavement but it was probably about 2 seconds.

As I am sliding down the highway I am thinking to myself "Holy f*ck I crashed my damn bike!" I slide off the road into some gravel and my bike ends up off the road about 15 feet downhill of me.

I was wearing a helmet, gloves, leather jacket and jeans, but god I wish I was wearing boots. My forearm and low back were pretty scraped up (jacket rode up) but nothing too gnarly. Problem was I was wearing these weak puma low tops and a rock took a good chunk out of my ankle. 3.5 weeks later- its looking alot better, but $160 for those SIDI boots I passed on seems like a real bargin now when compared to the hospital bill! Parts ALONE to fix the bike would be about $2300, but I am doing the repair work myself (replacing a little metal; gluing and sanding the fairings; friend's dad's body shop painting it).

Lessons learned:

6 weeks = rookie. This is not the time to push your limits at all. Probably should wait at least a year if not two w/ some track time, but not sure since I haven't been there. I was OVERconfident.

Watch the road- Focus! I was watching the tail of the guy in front of me instead of the road itself. When he went wide, so did I.

Don't sit up in the turn. If I would have stayed low, I probably would have made it. If I had to, it would have been alot better to go down on the low-side than on the high-side.

Get the gear and wear it. First of all, the helmet probably saved my life. It at LEAST saved my face and a $5000 helicopter ride to the hospital. The gloves were awesome. My hands were fine even though they were sliding on the ground at 45mph. $800 seems like alot for riding gear, but is alot more fun to pay for that, be safe, and look good, than to pay $800 to have a nurse scrub your road rash'ed ass with a sponge while you sit in a hospital gown.

Conclusion- I am pissed about wrecking my bike, but it could have been alot worse, and some lessons were learned (the hard way). Please learn them the easy way- from this thread.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts