Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
they say everyone does it at least once, some of us have done it several times, what i wanted to talk about is tell me about your crash(es) and what lessons you learned the hard way that may save the newbie from from having to learn it by picking up a bike.

when i first started riding, i had a kz750 (not a great starter bike, but a million times better than an r6 to start on). i got cut off by a car that ran a red light. i got pissed. we approached a stop sign, she stopped (why she didn't at the traffic light two blocks earlier, i don't know). so after waiting for a good minute of me blowing my horn for her to move she let the car roll forward and she started to go to the right. thinking that she finally realized that she nearly kill me and then annoyed me, she must be making it up to me and letting me go around her. i started to go around her. she immediately turned left (towards me) and i sped up further to complete the pass. i made a hard turn to the right to cut her off, prepared the finger for the big old :finger: then i looked at the road and realized it was turning to the left. left turn in the road, i'm making a sharp turn to the right. let's just say the kz was done.

lessons:
lost self-control. with a level head, you make sound decisions

assumed the other driver had a level of humanity. she showed that she wasn't capable of driving in a safe manor (cutting me, running a red light) and then held me at a stop sign for a long time. this woman clearly didn't care about my safety, her passenger's safety or her own. suddenly she's gonna have a strooge-like change of heart. i should've known better. some people are morons and that day there were two morons butting heads. this woman set a pattern and i took the high risk against the odds. a smarter rider would have taken a different route, pulled over, anything else.

i didn't watch the road. keith code talks about attention in terms of money. if i have $1 worth of attention, i put $.99 of it on her. i knew this road, i knew it had a bend in it. i put my focus in the wrong place.

end result--it took me two years before i'd have enough cash to buy another bike. i missed that bike to this day. it was a wonderful bike to ride to work, take out. it was comfy, fun and had the look for the brit bikes from the 70's that i love so much, without the prince of darkness.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My first street bike was an 83 Yamaha Seca 750. Seemed really fast at the time. I crashed because a 16 year old in her mom's car made a left out of a side road on my right.

She rolled up to the stop sign, stopped, looked both ways and started to pull out slowly. I was perhaps 100 feet from her and going about 35. I braked somewhat hard and nearly came to a stop less than 20 feet from her. She saw me at about the same time I was done braking and also stopped with her front bumper about 8 feet beyond the stop line. Her car was not blocking my lane. We made eye contact and since I had the right of way, I began to accelerate straight ahead. Just as I did this, she lurched forward and hit my front wheel with her car, knocking the bike down and spinning me and my passenger off the bike quite rapidly. We were mildly shaken up and scraped but otherwise unhurt. The bike spun under her car and was destroyed as her momentum carried the car completely over the bike.

In hindsight, I should have stopped and let her out even though I had the right of way.

·
Registered
391 Posts
As this is the new rider forum, I think I'll add the usual warning about alcohol. One would think this would not be needed, but you hear about it almost everyday. I trashed one myself over being drunk. I was going around a sweeping left hand turn onto a divided highway at about 45-50 mph. Unfortunately, I had so much to drink I could not tell exactly where the road was. Anyway, I centerpunched the median and flipped it. I woke up in the grass surrounded by bike parts. I was lucky that I only sprained my ankle, but the bike was a total loss. Could have been much worse. Only dumb luck prevented me from hitting anything as I flew through the air. Drinking and riding has to be one of the most dangerous things you can do on a bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pushing the limits...

I was in a suggested 25mph left curve and i was goin too fast for the conditions. I had a little adrenaline rush goin on and i pushed the limits a little too far that morning. I was doin about 50. The few loose stones on the road and the cold tires had a lot to do with the accident but my stupidity was the real reason.

LESSON LEARNED: DON'T PUSH YOUR LIMITS! learn to control that little rush you get out of pushing yourself. I have learned that the expenses of crashes cosiderably outweigh the fun and rush you get from pushing the limits.:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Several times in the past I wound up running wide in a corner and panicked and hit the brakes standing the bike up and almost ran off the road . Every time that happened I was looking at where I did'nt want to go .. so naturally that is where I went! well last week I followed a friend through who is way faster than me. Found myself going alot faster than usual . I started to run wide but I didnt give up and hit the brakes or look at where I DID'NT want to go .. I looked at where I wanted to go ..countersteered more while getting on the gas...and I made it through!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've posted this one before, but its kinda funny.
I had my one accident while doing my license test a couple of years back.
The tester was an ex-cop and he really had that stoic demeanor that you see in the experienced cops. This made me kinda nervous as there were no pleasantries, just everything straight by the book.
The test was going ok, except I though I may have sped past a school zone where the speed limit depends on the time of day.
The guy pulls me over, then gives me the next set of instructions, then we're off again.
I pull up when we've done that, and he rides straight past me and waves me to follow. So I'm thinking "What Now?"
Now picture this, We're riding on the left side of the road and the instructor indicates to the right. Now I'm thinking he's doing the old truck driver signal, like its ok to pass. So I accelerate to pass on his right, but sure enough he actually turns right.:eek:
Well I see him turn and do the best emergency brake I can and manage to T-Bone him at about 5mph.
I was totally unscathed, and so was my bike apart from minor scratching on the pipe and brake lever.
The testers bike landed on his leg and gave him a nasty little puncture wound:crying:
The ambulance got there shortly after, and then the police came along to get some statements.
No charges were laid and the tester took it all pretty well considering. I rang my brother shortly after and he nearly shit himself laughing.
I took the test again a week later in a city 300miles away and got 100%. Since then I've managed to keep the bike upright.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BobbyDazzler said:

I took the test again a week later in a city 300miles away and got 100%. Since then I've managed to keep the bike upright.
smart move.

i think one of the valuable lessons here is when riding in a group, signals should be well known in advance. every group seems to have their own thing.

another valuable thing you should know when riding in a group is what faster riders should do to let slower riders catch up. such as we'll wait at stop signs, we'll stop at this point in the route, we'll stop in the middle of the road on blind turns so we can get hit, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
so far some have been contributed to miscommunication, some to drinking, more to not knowing your own ability and, even more to the other moron on the road that wasn't paying attention? Notice a trend why a lot of bikes end up wrecking?

I was driving to my house from a friends and was headed down one of the main streets out of town that has no stop signs and only one light that wasn't even close when I wrecked. There was a car infront of me that indicated turning right. There was a car on the left stopped at a sign. As the car infront of me turned right, a sped up a bit and proceeded on home. As I hit the gas so did the person stopped at the stop sign. About that time I end up grabbing the brakes and slowing it down a bit before slamming into the side of the guy's front passenger side behind the front wheel. After every thing was sorted out, the bike was totaled, my ankle was sprained, and the idiot said he didn't see me.

I ended up getting the last laugh as he pulled away. The wheel I managed to hit was wobbling. :p

See, most of the time it is the other guy's fault

·
Registered
184 Posts
summer of '97...brand new f3...dumbass friend wouldn't call me back so i just went cruising (i still blame you...if you'd called back, i wouldn't have been in that intersection!!!:crying: :twofinger)
anyway, i was thirsty so i thought i'd pull over to get something to drink, i looked in my right mirror, and turned my head, there was a truck coming, but it was a ways back...i didn't give it more than a glance and that was my mistake...he was hauling ass, and my inexperienced self turned right in front of him, he was driving a pathfinder and he caught up to me quick, he was running late for work...anyway, he slammed into my right side as i was turning into his lane(far right) crushing my leg into the tank, and sending me straight up in the air, and over two lanes into the far left turning lane...i saw my legs fly up over my head, and the next thing i remember is landing on the back of my head and the rear of my left shoulder with my legs sticking straight up...the resulting injuries were a transverse compound fracture of my right tibia, broken fibula, i have a titanium rod and three screws in my leg as a result and i also busted my 4 lowest ribs in the front...thankfully that was it...i healed quickly and completely and show no signs of the injury. the bike was trashed as well...it's been awhile now, but hopefully i'll be back on again in about 2-3 months at most...

·
Registered
12 Posts
this last October. me and my '02 ZX-6R. i'm in heavy traffic and we have to stop suddenly. i almost stop and someone smashes into the back of me. i hung on to the bike with almost all my strength but i went out of control, hit one vehicle and 2 more parked ones before i went down. the person that hit me drove away and no one got the plate.

lesson learned: i didn't learn anything. there was nothing i could have done except not be there. couldn't see the person coming because it was right after a turn in a downtown area, and even if i did, the only option would be to get off the bike and run.

i think these accidents are worse than the ones where you do something wrong.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
July 2001 I was riding up near Vegas. It was a 2 lane highway, with a gentle curve in it. I leaned the bike over to take the turn, and the bike just kept going straight. Turned out that the plug in my rear tire had failed, and my rear tire went flat. I went straight off the curve at 70 MPH. Numerous fractures and sprains and considerable road rash (I was wearing Khakis).

The lesson: DO NOT PLUG YOUR TIRES!!! My tire was plugged with a patch plug, which is supposed to be the best kind of plug. Even that failed. I tried to save 150 bucks by not buying a new tire, and just plugging the one I had. It ended up costing me several thousand to get the bike back on the road after the crash (and it still looks like shit!).

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Well when I totaled my XX it was another case of the driver of the other car not seeing me. Even though we were heading right at each other and I had my brights on (daytime riding). He just turned in front of me to get onto a side road and I t-boned him at about 15mph. I guess the lesson learned from that one is to never assume that anyone else sees you while riding. Not much you can really do about it other than make yourself aware that someone might turn in front of you, change lanes, etc. without any warning and you need to be ready for it.

This one isn't a crash, but it was close. The lesson is to know the road you are on before you ride very hard on it. There is a nice little twisty road on the way to work and I was coming in (a few minutes late as usual) so I was pushing it a little hard. I forgot about a little 90 degree off camber turn in the middle of this little stretch and almost lost it because I was going too fast for it. I would say not only know the road you are on, but before you make a hard run on it take it slow once or twice to check the condition of it too. You never know where loose gravel has popped up or if someone's cage belched out a puddle of oil in the middle of your favorite turn.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, no one has mentioned this and since this is in the new riders section I'll throw in my 2 cents.

When I started riding in the 80's, I sold my Honda CB and got a 500 Interceptor. My goal was to learn to go fast as soon as possible. I had some good teachers and was basically riding at 100% within 6 months. 2 riders I knew raced on tracks. Well, I thought I was as good as they were because I could "Keep up" with my buddies. BS aside, I was riding pretty good....but I never led. When I had my 1st fall, I was trying to catch up with someone way ahead of me (from traffic) and over cooked a corner, stopped looking where I wanted to go and freezed like a deer in headlights. I went off a right hander about 70mph and got banged up pretty bad (broke my back).

My problem(s) were many, but the main point I want to make here was even though I was good, I did NOT have the experience to judge speeds, brake points and turn in points. I was a dog on a lease....even if I was a well trained dog...That kind of riding takes time to learn and to approach 100%, you need to be on a track to get close to the edge time after time...

If you only ride on the street, only push maybe 80% and watch out for the cages (beter yet to ride where they aren't).

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Allow me to throw in a TIP I received from an old 50 yr m/c vet. As a 16/17, old (in '47) I had proven myself to be a good flat tracker, dirt hill climber & fast trotter on the roads YET I often came into the shop with a damaged bike & in ALL cases it was the car/truck drivers fault. Now in those days most did not carry insurance so my tough luck.
This old boy (to me at the time) asked what I would have done if I suddenly noted the vehicle coming out of the rhubarb, being the left or right of the circuit & a NO ZONE AREA. So I started to come up with an answer only he asked what if the same from the other side, & just as I was about to answer he asked what if it was from behind or coming at me. I was bewildered with his flood of questions.
Then he told me "Smitty do you not realize you are the only sane person on the road & all the others are crazy & out to kill you?"
After some thinking I realized he was 100% in that you do NOT trust others to obey the law at stop signs, coming toward you, from behind you, turning left or right, etc. AGAIN: DO NOT EXPECT OTHERS TO OBEY THE HWY RULES. In that way you are flicking you eyes & head around to be 100% positive that they have stopped, that you are clear of them, etc. You build up a 110% defensive form of riding & you must be in full concentration 110% of the time & NOT thinking of something just a while back or what might be next like picking up the g/f for a movie, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We all like to blame the "other guy", and it is true that in most motorcycle vs. auto/truck crashes, the fault does lie with the other party.

Now consider this, multi vehicle incidents account for only a bit over 1/2 of motorcycle crashes. This means that in about 1/2 of all wrecks, we did it all by ourselves.

Smarter riding could reduce the motorcycle crash rate by almost 50%.

Mark

·
Registered
340 Posts
none

Well I crashed on back of my brothers bike. He was new, just liscenced and bought a Ninja 600. I drove up to the city and he drove back. He was driving too fast for his ability, and I kept giving him good wacks in the ribs and telling him to slow down. Well off he goes again, I told him to slow down he doesn't listen the next turn is a right hander I would say 130 degree, and sharp. He lays it over chickens out, stands it up and we are off into the woods at 50 MPH.
We were lucky. The bike sunk into the soft muddy shoulder and actually stayed verticle, however we both did the superman into the forest, he landed in front of the bike (i would say from holding onto the grips he did a flip) and I just did my best Clark Kent impression and luckily missed the trees. We were both hurt, but not too bad. I drove the rest of the way home, and he was scared of the bike from then on, so I drove it most of the time, then he sold it.
When I took my Motorcycle Safety Course at the time all that was required was to show up at the DMV and do a figure 8 or two and you got your liscense. Well the government decided the examiners needed to take the MSC in order to better understand things before issuing new liscences. The one examiner ( a woman) froze before making a turn (on a 80cc training bike) and went riding off and crashed into this huge ditch filled with water and mud. It was the funniest thing I ever saw. She's crying sitting on her ass in a huge pile of mud and water (it was a very low speed crash no injuries possible). She never came back to class. This woman was feared by all young drivers going to the DMV for their tests. She was very mean, and failed a lot of people. It was so sweet to see this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was travelling with a group of other riders and we were all doing about 180km/h or so down this 17 km straight stretch of road. Most of us carried radar detectors and it was early enough in the day on sunday that there were no other cars on the road. Now one of the guys in the group just bought a 02 R1 and you all know the type; he is the next hayden or duhamel but has never seen the track outside of the bleachers. He has to be a hot rod, high speed passes, wheelies where he shouldnt and stoppies at EVERY stop. It was getting annoying. We were heading to the states for 2 weeks and we all have backpacks, tankbags and luggage straped to rear seats. I had just settled in and made my self confortable on the 6'' space of seat I now have when "dumbass" comes up past me on 1 wheel going about 20km/h faster than me when his saddle bag on the right lets go and lodges itself in his rear tire. All I can remember after that is his bike shooting infront of mine and having no chance to avoid him as he was only about ten feet in front of me.

I woke up in a Calgary hospital with 2 pins in each of my wrists and 4 broken ribs. My shoei helmet had a huge fracture down the centre (Did its job well as I had no major head injuries). Dumbass broke his right arm dislocated his knee and suffered major internal bleeding after striking a rock in the ditch. Both bike were written off but I kept mine as it looks damn cool in boxes in my basement :)finger: Thanks "dumbass" as I know you are reading this.)

The lesson to this is yes we were travelling at a high rate of speed but that was agreed on before we alll left. We also agreed on no passes or riding aggresivly. So the only factor left is becareful of who you ride with, you may be able to use good judgement but you cant always be sure others will.

·
Registered
69 Posts
look for anything!

I was riding with 4 other guys one day. We where going back in to town. Was coming up the rode when a van pulling a trailer with a boat,pulled out of a parts store. Trailer hit the curb and boat came off, and the motor hit me in the leg. Liked to broke my leg. But just got away with 14 stiches and a small crack on the bike in the left faring. It turned out alright he had insurance. And I healed up. Just make sure you look for anything to happen cause it can happen.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts