Votes: 13 3.3%
  • No way!

Votes: 178 45.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
The cops in Torrance know my bike and they know where I live. Running from them would be pointless.
Now if its the CHP, they have a bad habbit of not turning on their lights right away, (they seem to think you can't see them) and if the lights ain't on, they ain't trying to pull me over, so I'm not running;):rolleyes:

·
Squid
813 Posts
If you can't shake them within 30-46 sec you might as well pull over and tell him you didn't see or hear him so they don't hit you with evading

·
Registered
609 Posts
Rossco929 said:
I have gone by many a radar trap at 250+ kmh. They do not even try and chase me. ....

....As an interesting aside, I just read where the Surete du Quebec just spent $7.5 million on a new helicopter (that makes 3 for the entire provincial police dept). This thing has a top speed of 214 kmh. Give me enough road, and I'll even lose that thing.:D
I've been in Quebec, isn't 250 kph about the average speed, the cops are probably waiting for a cabbie thats going faster.

Here in Edmonton, the cops are going to get a chopper. I've spoke to a few of them and the first thing they plan to do with it is catch a few bikers.

Personally I don't run, the possiblity of getting caught adds to the fun. Besides, the only times I get tagged is when I'm just puttering around in no hurry and not paying attention to my speed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
no runnin for me.....not enough experience to risk a high-speed wreck....but i might make a few turns and hide ;) you could call it financial evasion!!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was cruizing down the freeway shortly after I fixed my bike from the theft damage. There was a copper giving someone a ticket on the left side of me, and just over the other hill was another one waiting for someone else to nab. Well, I was going about 90 in a 55 and the lights came on. I had no license (expired), no insurance, no inspection, and no registration. HHHMMMMM, he was straight across from an exit ramp....hhhhmmmmm.......He'll need to cross straight across 4 lanes of Houston traffic to exit..........hhhhhhmmm.......I was approaching the exit......hhhhhhhmmmmm...........Needless to say, the city didn't get any of my money and I got to my destinaton via an alternate route....
Adrenaline is good stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's not worth the risk to run. I got 2 tickets within a 2 week period, 68 in a 40 on my XR650 - that cost $105.00 and 90 in 55 on the XX - just a warning. Both were by the Indiana State Police. It pays to be polite, the cop that gave me the warning said because I pulled over right away (he was oncoming, not behind me) and didn't run he would make it a warning. It's not worth a felony evasion rap (with the loss of gun ownership if convicted of a felony) to run. In my wilder days we did it almost weekly, but it ain't worth it now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is no way I would run. If caught, and that is highly likely as I try not to ride too stupidly, I might end up in jail. I have worked there part-time; not a place I would like to spend the night...

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Nope, notta, nyet, no chance in hell.

That's one thing I have noticed about living in Fresno. There are about 4 red VFR 800's. With my luck I would run, get followed but a piggy that rides motocycles on weekends. He would be able tell what kind of bike I got and find me later. Nope, no way I'm running.

Of course I heard stories of 2 guys I ride with, both with Busas. They ditched a Sheriff by double backing on him. they hid behind a gas station until he went by. Crazy bastards! :p:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
If on a highway with little to no traffic and the cop is either coming up behind me or I just wizzed past his radar gun, as long as I know he didn't get my plate number, I'd gun it and take the first exit.

If in a more residential area, with the same cop-seeing-my-plate rules applying, I'd attempt to make some quick turns to avoid 'em, but I'd never resort to speeding beyond what I was already doing (doesn't mean I'd hesitate to get up to that speed, though :D).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Does hiding count?

There is a set of "S" curves near me that are posted for 35 mph. I take them at 80 every time I go that way. Twice I've flew through the curves with knee out and peg dragging and had a cop in the oncoming lane (I stay in my own lane) go by. Both times the cop just glanced at me and continued on his way. I dunno if he figured he couldn't catch me anyway, or if it was one of the cops who know me from my stunt riding days, or if a parking spot opened up in front of the donut shop.

I haven't really "run" from a cop, but I have quickly hidden behind buildings, even a big truck in a parking lot, when I've seen a cop turn around obviously to come after me. Does that count?

The times I've been pulled over (no time or no where to hide) being polite and admitting! that I screwed up have always resulted in either a severe talking to (warning with no ticket) or an enjoyable chat about bikes. There are a lot of police in my area that also ride.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Running...

Well let's see....I've ran several times and I've stopped several times. Before I moved to Jackson, MS Ilived in an area that the cops had nothing better to do than hand out tickets like I hand out money to my creditors. There were about 30 of us with sportbikes in the summer of 99 and the local police department had made it known that they were out to get us bike riders. They even went as far as to put a quota on how many bikes in month they had to give tickets to...I don't know if it was a real quota or just a scare tactic. Anyway, when we all heard that, do you think any of us were going to stop for a cop for any reason?

I had a buddy who did pull over because he was sitting at a redlight and the cop was behind him...when the light turned green the cop hit his lights and pulled him over. Check this out: the cop wrote him a ticket for crossing the solid white line that you pull up to at the red light!! The ticket was written up for "Failure to Obey Traffic Signs"!! What the heck?

Anyway, I think I ran about 8 times that summer. I always seemed to manage to find a low residential backroad with alot of twisties to make my escape. I did acquire 2 tickets that summer though....one got thrown out because the stupid cop gave me a ticket for doing 45 in 25mph School Zone>>>remember it was Summer Time and the normal speed limit is 45. The other was for doing 72 in a 50>>>I had to stop because my wife was on the back and I'm not gonna run with her on the back.
PEACE!

·
Registered
134 Posts
They only have one helicopter for persuit in New Zealand, and it's not used in my city.

You don't want to know how I know that. I will say, however, that there's only one time the filth have got me on the bike - and that's when I didn't know they were after me. I got roadblocked; apparently the officer had been after me for some time. Imagine my surprise cresting a hill and seeing the flashing lights.

As an incentive, you'll all love to know that they're limited to 160km/h (about 100mph) over here when in persuit; there's no way the pork rinds will be able to catch a man in even a turbo Starlet unless they hunt in packs and use roadblocks. There's talk of lowering it, because they keep writing off their patrol cars. And the poor mounties get some crap bike that looks like a Goldwing; I'm not saying 'Wings are bad, but it wouldn't be my preferred bike for a persuit nasty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've run once and got away in the pan handle of Florida back in 1982....It's not worth dying over, I'd rather pull over and take my ticket and shot at court. Sorry if I sound like a wuss, but I've seen the results of pursuits, cages and bikes, it ain't pretty. Of course I could be biased too, I am a LEO. I save the crazy sh!t for the track. We have a nice one at VIR.

If you do run, please take care not to hurt yourself or someone else. We all make our own decisions and live with the results.

Ride Safe!

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
One Time!

I did run once and got away clean, But that was at night with a clean shot to where I needed to go. But now I have a kid on the way . I wont risk making her grow up without a daddy at any price or jail time . I still do things that I should'nt , But I try to think more before I act.:cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I try to keep telling myself don't run cuz I'm pretty sure otherwise I'm gonna make a bad judgement call someday and try and run on one I shouldn't. Just gotta keep sayin to myself running isn't for me.
About a year ago though I was driving down in my car on the Taconic Parkway outside New York City when some bike, I don't even know what it was it went by so fast and I hadn't been paying attention, flew by. Before I could even say Hey, that guy musta be goin at least one hu---WHAM! A camaro police car weaves between me and the car to my right missing my front fender by maybe 2 inches tops. Anyway, as I'm watchin em dissapear down the road I realized that the camaro was holding pretty steady on his ass. I don't know whatever happened to that guy, but a couple miles up the road I had to stop in the middle of the highway cuz another statey in a regular cruiser was stopped in the center lane standing on the road literally screaming at the dude's buddy who had just rode up behind him on a Seca. Thankfully I can say thats as close as I've ever gotten to bein chased.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I've run a couple times in the past. I don't anymore, not even a thought.

My last ticket was for speeding (pulling a trailer and racebike to the track). I saw the cop going the other way, and watched him pass. He didn't turn around (as far as I could see) so I kept on going *stupid*.

Turns out, he turned around about 2 miles down and headed after me. The speed limit for cars with trailers is 55mph. I was going 85-90mph (according to the speedo, mine is off my ~5mph at those speeds). That's WAY over the speed limit, but he wrote me up for doing 75mph in a 55mph zone.

As much as we DON'T LIKE COPS being around, a lot of times, they are nice enough to *DO YOU A FAVOR" and write your ticket down, and save you some bills. If you play, be ready to pay.

·
Registered
515 Posts
what a thrill................

if im far enough away from home, yes i will, mainly cause i live in the middle of nowhere...i few weeks ago i took a trip through death valley, i was on my way home, took hiway 95 in nevada leaving beatty heading toward goldfield..i passed some slow (85mph) traffic, by the time i shifted back into 6th i was doing 130mph..and a nevada hiway patrol flew by the other way..i looked back to see brake lights and tire smoke(this is a very long straight away), i could see my 90 degree left turn about 4 miles ahead, i stayed in it...made the turn..my butt was so tight you couldnt slip a tooth pick up it..anyway its another 6 mile straight away going slightly up hill..at the top i stopped and looked back...no one behind me.......and the road ahead was very lonely so i didnt worry about one of his buddys waiting for me...cool, i didnt get a ticket or worse that time...

·
Registered
205 Posts
2 weeks ago coming back from Sears Point, my friend and I got pulled over by a bike cop. He said we were hovering around 80 for a while till we got to our exit and then kicked it up to 90. Actually I was at around 110 pulling away from my friend. We told him had spent all day at the races and it was hot, and we were late and tired and blah blah. His response was "Who won the Superbike race?" We said Nicky Hayden. He says "AGAIN?!?!" and then let us go. Cool guy. We were lucky to be at the end of our trip, and that the guy was a race fan.

Most of the cops that patrol the hills around here will flash their lights at you but won't chase because they know they can't catch you anyway. They just want to slow you down by hitting the lights for a second.

-Kemosabe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Squidwannabe said:

Stop your sissy boy fairy talk! You a runner or not ?
I'm a "No Way". The calif. state bar has this crazy thing about not letting convicted felons practice law in this state.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
desmo079 said:
The calif. state bar has this crazy thing about not letting convicted felons practice law in this state.
Does this mean what I think it means, Des?

Anyway, it ain't illegal until you get caught.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts