Sportbike World banner

The worst influence that causes young/new riders to make bad decisions is:

• Movies like Biker Boyz/Torque that glorify Squid-style riding

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Peer pressure from other irresponsible riders aka Squids

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Magazines that make the latest 04 R1 too tempting to buy...

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • DVD's like Judgement Day etc. that add to the stereotype of rebel bikers

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm doing a research paper for my English class dealing with sportbikes and was looking for some input. I'm planning on posting a couple polls so I have some numbers to fall back on to support my research. I haven't decided on specific topics yet but it's going to revolve around the negative image of sportbikers as portrayed by the media...anyway here we go...

What do you guys think is the biggest influence that causes young/new riders to make bad decisions regarding their riding style and choice of bike?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is just the peer preasure that makes people do it. I believe at the age of 16 we should all know by that time we can not go out and do some of the stuff we see in the movies, sure their are some dumbies that try to. I think it's just seeing someone doing a wheelie through town and having people telling you to try one that makes you try it.:rolleyes: But this is just my opion.:2cents:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
An option not given in your poll is how squids are affected by the way the sportbike image is portrayed in rap/hiphop videos. Here, in NY city and the surrounding boroughs, a lot of the squidly riders dress and act like the riders they see in these videos. I wanna say that it really jumped off several years back w/ the ruff ryderz rap video, but it may have been before then? :dunno: Regardless of how/when it all started, these young riders try to emulate their favorite rap/hiphop artists, which is usually about the squidliest behavior you'll ever see. :rolleyes:

BTW, I voted for peer pressure because a movie is a movie, nothing more nothing less, and a kid's only gonna do something if his/her buddies think it's cool.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Hmmm you did not have my option.

Wanting a bike but instead of starting on something small get the biggest and fastest to start with. That is one trend that I have seen lately. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I don't think that some of the "kids" mentioned in the replies are in it for the joy of riding. They are in it to look cool for their friends and chicks. To them it is not about the ride, it is about the look. Most of the squids I know don't know what the AMA is, let alone how to spell it.:D

To people like us, it is about passion for your bike and the passion of riding. So I would have to say that the influence is from other irresponible riders as well as the videos.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Seeing other squids on the road make someone want to squid it up themselves. I don't thing anyone gives a shit about these big budget craptacular movies.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Tippmann said:
Seeing other squids on the road make someone want to squid it up themselves. I don't thing anyone gives a shit about these big budget craptacular movies.
i agree with you tippman i feel embarassed for the people who buy bikes because they want to be like Lawrence fishbourne from biker boys

·
Registered
132 Posts
Definatley peer pressure all the way.

I was happy as all hell when i picked up my ninja 250 a few weeks ago. I shared the news with a few coworkers and everyone I talked to was horrified that i did not decide to start out on a larger bike.

One guy would just not let it go, he went on and on about how he bought an 1100 and drove it off the truck bed without a ramp the day he got it. He also told me to only use the back brake, that fronts are dangerous :crying:

After i thought things could not get worse, he laughed and commented on how i probably ride around in a full face helmet and a 'power ranger suit' , yeah i do, i got full gear before the bike so i would not be tempted, after all i am only human.

I could write all day with the idiot storys i have gotten at work, A die hard harley guy was telling me that 'picking gravel out of yourself is like a rite of passage' JFC i will just let it go at that, i could bitch all night about those morons.

Oh, the kicker is the both people proclaiming my bike sucks get driven to work by none other than mommy, a sad thing when your over 40 :twofinger

Peace,

I love riding more and more with every mile on my 250 :D

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Lunitar,
Let them complain man. Jealousy is an ugly thing! :D Yippee, so the moron got an 1100 for his first bike :loser: Who cares?! I think that you did the best thing by starting small. :thumb:

As for the rest of the moron's that slammed you :finger: 'em!

Glad you are enjoying life on two wheels! :thumbs2:

Ride safe!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna go and add my :2cents: on this....I agree with the majority of you in that its peer pressure that causes most new bikers to make the bad decisions (like getting bikes that are way too powerful and all that other great stuff). However, I also believe that stupid movies are what influence the general public (meaning those who know absolutely nothing about the sportbiking world) when it comes to their opinions about us. Think about it- most riders see ads for movies like Biker Boyz and Torque, and we laugh because we know that half the stuff these guys pull is impossible and, most of the time, just plain stupid. But you take somebody who knows absolutely nothing about sportbikes except that they're 'fast' and they see advertisements for movies and other stuff like this, and instantly they think that it's what we're all about. Maybe not the extreme stuff *cough* riding on top of moving trains *cough cough*, but they leave movies with that kind of impression, making them biased towards riders.
Anyway, I'm finished with my blurb. :D

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
When someone tells me something like "picking gravel out of your ass is a right of passage", I try to calm the situation down by calling them a stupid motherfu**er. I then verbally barrade them until they either leave in shame, or get pissed off and want to fight. Either way, I feel like I won.:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would really like to do that :D

This is the coolest job i have ever had though and good pay to boot! I would never let anyone get the best of me here.

I enjoy building and armoring custom vehicles alot, I am also one step away from being promoted to a ballistics engineer because of my exp with guns and metallurgy.

On top of all that i got a moment of fame on the show "tactical to practical" on the history channel when they came through our shop. I am the big guy fitting a bulletproof windshield in a suburban, I only got like 10 seconds of airtime though :(

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Lunitar said:

On top of all that i got a moment of fame on the show "tactical to practical" on the history channel when they came through our shop. I am the big guy fitting a bulletproof windshield in a suburban, I only got like 10 seconds of airtime though :(
Dude, i JUST watched that episode last night, and totally remember the big guy. That's awesome:thumbs2: You handed the windshield to the host and he was like "damn this is heavy". And you told him it was about 60lbs. Wow, we have a star on the boards.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hehe, luckily my boss is ugly as hell so he got edited out and i got the spotlight!

EDIT: btw that vehicle was pimp too! Bombscan "can pickup a digital watch from 50ft" playstation2 xbox gamecube, satellite TV, GPS DVD 2 dedicated phone lines, Stun gun force door handles, 12 automatic fire extinguishers, oxygen masks onboard, Computer controlled cruising in case the driver is injured, intercomm, 3 battery system, self inflating tires that are also run flats, electronic variable tint windows, i cant even remember all the shit on these suburbans, they were amazing though

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Lunitar said:
...btw that vehicle was pimp too! Bombscan "can pickup a digital watch from 50ft" playstation2 xbox gamecube, satellite TV, GPS DVD 2 dedicated phone lines, Stun gun force door handles, 12 automatic fire extinguishers, oxygen masks onboard, Computer controlled cruising in case the driver is injured, intercomm, 3 battery system, self inflating tires that are also run flats, electronic variable tint windows, i cant even remember all the shit on these suburbans, they were amazing though

Can you tell us who the suburban was being built for?

Is Hunter Ellis a cool guy?

BTW, I think you may have one of those amazing jobs that I would do "if I had a million dollars." :thumbs2: :drool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
We usually don't know who they are being built for. Security is pretty tight around here.

I can't say I would be doing it if I had a million dollars though, mabe part time. :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Good Evening All-

Squids are drawn to other squids. If one squid is driving down the highway at 65 m.p.h. and is passed by two other squids doing 80 m.p.h....the next thing you know is that you have three squids running 90 m.p.h.

This is especially true if the squids in question are below thirty years of age. Additional maturity seems to kick-in around that age.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know, I think it's all of the above, plus some!! It seems like around here the only thing little kids say when I drive by is "Do a wheelie, Do a wheelie". It's like the only thing people seem to think these bikes were made for!! It don't help that my cousin, who is Die hard SQUID, will gladly do it upon each and every request. I mean this kid will stop his bike to hold traffic up behind him, SERIOUSLY, let the cars in front of him move, just to do a wheelie for lil' kids or some girls! To him it's the american way, Just look at his bike.................

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts