Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Left or Right turns - What's your favourite?

I feel more comfortable when taking left-hand turns, but I also balance on my left foot when I kick a ball.

Is this just a case of Captain Obvious, or should I be equally comfortable on both sides?

Edit: Spelling. Oops!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I feel more comfortable in left turns. I'm right handed and I kick right, but it may be worth mentioning that I need prescription glasses (not bad enough to actually get them, hehe) and my left eye sees better than my right. Maybe that plays into it, who knows.:dunno:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sidewaysducati said:
I feel more comfortable in left turns. I'm right handed and I kick right...
See, that's the same as me. If you kick right, you must balance on your left, which is the point I was making.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: lefty

97yzfinwyo said:
definately left handers but that might have something to do with years of roundy round racing
Yeah, I'd say so. Are you a left foot balancer / right foot kicker?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
cookeetree said:
See, that's the same as me. If you kick right, you must balance on your left, which is the point I was making.
Ahhh. Now that's a damn good point. I didn't even think of that. I suppose that has more to do with it than my idea about eyesight, because my right eye is not all that bad, and I'd bet this left turn preference is pretty common, meaning that it aligns with the fact that most folks are right handed.

Hopefully this thread gets a lot of feedback. Interesting stuff.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I like leftys only because I think they're easier to see ahead here in the States; we're right-side drivers.

'Course, the bonus to righties is I don't have to worry about being leaned over into the oncoming lane.

I guess I have no pref :D

And to follow your logic, I do lots of things ambidextrously. Otherwise handedness varies by activity.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Had this conversation with a couple of folks who spend much time on the track. One of the big things that they advised me is that some folks aren't comfortable pushing on the throttle hand. Seems to make some sense, but I can't say that is my reason for feeling more comfortable in the left handers. I think it has more to do for me, with the fact that on the streets here in the US, seeing through the rights is rough (as someone already posted). On a racetrack I don't really feel a bias (unless I just blow the entrance).

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kanswish and Dan - Although it makes sense to be more comfortable on a turn that you can see through better, I'm on the other side here, yet I still prefer the left.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I prefer left turns as well. And I'm a righty(kick with right foot).

I think it may have to do with being able to see through the corners better. When going through intersections, ect., you can take a wider turn, which allows for a faster turn. So when you're used to faster small left corners, maybe it translates to being more comfortable on faster sweepers?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, I'm on the other side of the road, so I don't think "better view" is what makes one side better than the other.

·
Registered
609 Posts
cookeetree said:
Like I said, I'm on the other side of the road, so I don't think "better view" is what makes one side better than the other.
Maybe not....just only thing I can think of. Being lefty or righty may have something to do with it too..that would make sense.

Any opinions from lefties?

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Like right turns myself, seem to be better at them :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Left or Right turns - What's your favourite?

cookeetree said:
but I also balance on my left foot when I kick a ball.Edit: Spelling. Oops!
I like right handers.....and I've been kicked in the balls......does that count?

·
Registered
54 Posts
DanQ said:
... One of the big things that they advised me is that some folks aren't comfortable pushing on the throttle hand...
I think this might play a big role with some riders :dunno:

On most bikes the can is on the right side(I have one on both), this can maybe make a difference as well.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I like right handers,I feel like i have a bit more control turning right but i can usually see farther in the left handers. my left knee is weak, maybe that has somthing to do with it :2cents:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts