• Street with plans of a track day in the future

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up with everybody ditching the streets to ride on the track? I've heard that track days are a blast but it seems like more folks prefer track than street.........at least that's the vibe I'm getting from some of the regulars. I imagine it can be kind of a hassle getting to and from the tracks.

Also how expensive is it between bike maintenance and track fees?

One more noob question. What's the best and worst parts of track days to those that go?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I attended my first track school (different than a track day) this past summer. We trailered the bikes there because of the distance and the issue that if one of us crashed, we'd have no way to get it back home to repair it.

Possible extra costs for going to the track:
Lodging
Trailer
Attendance fees
Travel expenses (gas and food to get to the track)
Gear

Things avoided by being track-only:
Insurance
State registration fees
Street risks (cars, animals, road hazards)
Theft (reduced risk)

Benefits lost by being track-only:
Better gas mileage
Riding nearly daily

I'm sure there are more, but I'm sick and my head isn't operating correctly.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've gone completely track only. I can safely say that I have more fun in one day on the track than in 6 months on the street. I love not holding back, not looking longingly through a perfect curve, while following a slow moving car. I love knowing that if I crash, someone will be there to help me in a few seconds. If I'm hurt, they take care of everything. If I'm shaken up, I can walk it off and let them pick up my bike for me. I love that people say "Wow, I am impressed that you can do that!" rather than "You hooligans are endangering people!"

Sportbikes were designed for the track. On the street, they are a waste. I may get another street bike eventually, but it will be a street bike (standard) not a sportbike.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
+1 to everyone. The street is a poor immitation of the track expirience. If you can afford it, the track is the way to go.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmmm.... for the Tee:

1. Street riding is more fun that driving.

2. Flying is more fun than street riding.

3. Track riding is more fun than flying.

4. Aerobatic flying is more fun than track riding.

I ride for two reasons, number one is out of practicality, since I can negotiate traffic a lot better on a bike than I can in a car, and number two is to sublimate my desire to pull high G's in an airplane that I only have access to maybe once every couple months.

Even though I ride about 20,000 miles a year, I do very little riding for the hell of it. I try to have fun along the way, taking the occasional mountain road and tearing it up as I get from point A to point B.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Kevlar,Vash, and Mr.T all have it wright.
What a blast.
But for me the nearest track is 9 hr. So I dont get to track it as much as I would like.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I too thought about dropping street riding. I'm fortunate to live an hour from Mid-Ohio which is one phenomenal track and ever since my track day there a couple months ago the street just doesn't seem fun anymore. It seems dangerous, restricted, and busy. I've thought of riding track only but I enjoy my bike too much to only ride it a few times a year. The only street riding I do is to school and through some planned local routes in the country which help me relax and forget about the world for a little while. I'm not interested in long trips or group rides anymore and definitely not interested in going way over the speed limit through the local twisties anymore. So I guess I'm relatively stubborn now.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I no longer ride on the street. I just converted to track only for two reason. It's fun as hell and a lot safer. Well three... No Cops! :p

The only problem now is that I have almost no time to ride. Did one track day and that convinced me to do track only. I learned more those few hours than the past 3 years of riding. Just imagine what you could learn with riding a whole season. Most of the time, track days (not the schools) will have have instructors there helping you out just like a school so take a track day or two, then do a school.

Get's a bit expensive and it's really a lifestyle. Try getting a friend or two to go with you so you can split the costs a bit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i do all my riding on the street, only because it is to far for me to get to a track to ride and the only places to ride are the streets, granted we have alot of back twisties here in central maine and i do use the bike to commute during the spring, summer and fall but for me to take it to the track is about 4 hour 1 way and no way to trailer it there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Its not exactly a cheap sport either. The startup costs are fairly high if you like to buy all your own stuff but once you have all your one time purchases down the subsequent track days aren't too bad.

Then if you're like me you begin seeing limitations in your bike and start infinitely perfecting it while trying to get used to the different way it feels. I've been working on my bike so much it feels slightly different almost every time I've had a chance to ride it. I figured if I finish all my projects by next season I'll have plenty of time to relearn how my bike feels and responds then realize its actually better than it was before. Which leads into something I thought of earlier... I'm beginning to understand how a n00b starting on a bike with some trick kit is not a good idea. If I started learning how to ride on my bike in its current track-oriented, amphetamine-fueled state I'd be over my head.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Being that my bike is my main transport and that the paint costs so frickin' much, I can't afford to risk riding my bike at the track.

If I could afford a track bike, I'd go for it, but I have to make do with riding through the mountains near my home instead.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
I enjoy everything about motorcycles. I love the long scenic trip riding, but when I do that, I'm mindful of the laws.

And I enjoy the flat out performance of these machines at the track.

I try hard not to confuse the two, and I don't know that I could do without one or the other.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I went closed course only(stunting, not track) for a year or so. Baz is right, few hours of closed course is like years on the street from a proggression standpoint, especially if you have good riders around. Now I ride both again, well I did, until we got a foot of snow yesterday. Now its snowboardding till spring!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Its so easy to get so caught up in track riding that you forget all about the simple pleasures of riding your bike along a nice twisty road in the summer. Granted, there is nothing even remotely close to riding the track but its only part of the total riding experience for me.

streetbreed22 said:
Also how expensive is it between bike maintenance and track fees?
Bike maintenance is minimal. New tires every 6 or so track days (if you are running street tires like DCIII's or M3's) is the biggest expence you will have. Track fees range from 150 - 200 dollars. The biggest expense is definately the start up cost, and most of that is gear. Leathers, gauntlet style gloves, back protector, racing boots are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Then once you get hooked you are looking for things like a trailer an dlap timers and thinking about runing race tires and you spend more and more till ou are selling your fillings on e-bay!

streetbreed22 said:

One more noob question. What's the best and worst parts of track days to those that go?
The best part of track days is easily the feeling of riding your bike to YOUR limits in a controled environment with no crap on the roads or no cars to worry about.

The worst part...is there a worst part? Maybe getting up a 5 am to be at the track on time? Maybe getting so addicted that you'll try to sell anything thats not bolted down in your house on e-bay for another track day.

·
Registered
307 Posts
bittersweetryan said:
...you'll try to sell anything thats not bolted down in your house on e-bay for another track day.
:laughing: :laughing: That's so true! I'm going through that right now. I see stuff around the house not in terms of money but what bike part it could get me. Anyone want to buy a Nintendo Wii?

The worst part for me is just getting my bike there and back. I rented a new Toyota Tacoma pickup when I went in September which was nice but loading and unloading the bike wasn't. I'll be taking a Uhaul motorcycle trailer next time... I've seen a few of those at the track; they're nice little rugged trailers and only cost $15/day to rent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A while ago, I was thinking that if I won the lottery I'd spend all my time on Live and eventually either become the #1 Halo kid or be pulled out of the house after exhausting a mini-fridge full of hot pockets... But not so, I commented to some friends earlier this night that if I came across some uber-money, I'd try to go full-time, maybe throw in some journalistic wanna-be-isms... Hopefully I'm not gravedigging this thread.

I ride daily-driver, as school is too far away for me to take my car, and really, other than groceries, there's no need for me to take the cage. I'd love to hit up a trackday, but I'm restricted to the occasional twistie (cautious at best) until I get some better gear (looking at 1-piece leathers right now in other tabs, will be going to local shops on my first day off after christmas-time is done :burnout: )

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
It is one & a half days to get to any place that might have some track days, but even then first will give away to specific pracicing & testing of cages to m/cs, to teams to actual racing------so you would be lucky to find one week-end open form track days out of a month.

So my daily runs, when the weather is bearable, is around 3 to 5 days of the week up in the mtn road of anythng from 5 to 7+ hrs each run.

Only time I am forced to be in a town or a city is to get through such places to the hwys & then up into the mtn roads I love so much.

Of my 61 yrs of riding I can say 57 of them have been as so stated, bar times spent in dirt comp or practicing. After all I live in the Cdn Rockies & have done so around 57 of those 61 yrs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have become more and more a track guy myself i dont tape lights or anything but i do go from my stock plastics to the hotbodies stuff and the tires do get kinda pricy but putting on the leathers and seeing what you have for the day or weekend is definately worth it in the end. As for the street i enjoy riding to much to give it up but i seem to go slower on the streets now kinda boring and risky. why eat ground chuck when i can a big juscy steak a little later catch my drift

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
UncagedRC said:
As for the street i enjoy riding to much to give it up but i seem to go slower on the streets now kinda boring and risky. why eat ground chuck when i can a big juscy steak a little later catch my drift
I had the same experience. The streets lost a lot of their fun since there's now a comparison point that makes them laughable. And riding slower on the street was a noticeable effect for me as well. My partner had the same experience.

With some luck and wifely permission I'll try some more scenic and twisty routes this summer to see if the street still holds some benefit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts