Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a guy today who told me a story about his wreck. he was doing some kind of "forward wheelie" when it went bad at 40 mph. he remembers sliding smoothly over the pavement, looking up at the sky, then, as he slowed down, his leather jacket started to catch, and made him sommersault (sp?), which broke his ankle.

i thought this was an interesting story b/c it seems that, while the leather saved his skin completely, a smoother textile material wouldn't have caught as aggressively as his body slowed down, and he wouldn't have tumbled like he did.

any thoughts? I'm sure this is a pretty unique situation, in any case. i'm not saying that wearing leather is a bad idea, but the phenomenon of it "catching" the pavement at lower speeds is interesting anyway.
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
All gear must fit you snugly to be useful or it could ride up on you or bunch. Loose gear is bad. So, do you think leather gear or textile gear is more likely to have baggy, catchable spots?

Ignoring the (perceived?) superiority of leather to deal with abrasions, it would seem to me that leather is more likely to avoid such incidents.

And if this guy was wearing chaps and fringe, well, let's just say that probably wasn't the best safety or style choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His gear wasn't baggy - that wasn't the issue. The problem was that the leather material, by nature, is "stickier" when it comes to contact with the pavement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
There will always be certain situations where protective gear or equipment could be more dangerous then helpful, such being in an accident where not wearing a seatbelt saved someone's life. I think I'll keep wearing my leathers though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
Speaking from experience, leather slides over asphalt very smoothly. If he caught and flipped, he likely dug in an elbow, knee, hand, foot, shoulder, etc...

Once down, flatten out, and let the gear do its job.

If he described his maneuver as a "Forward wheelie" then he obviously has little experience in the motorcycle world. I would suspect that he has described escaping situations by saying "I had to lay it down!"

There is no (realistic) situation where laying it down is a better solution then staying up and braking hard!

My point is, this sounds like a new, or inexperienced rider. I would take the details of his story with a grain of salt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
The problem was not what that guy was wearing, it was what he was doing with his bike. God was being kind to him that day because the fella did not land on his head and get knocked into another level of mental health!

I like what Kanwisch said.

I am not really sure how you made the link in proximate cause between him breaking his ankle and the type of material his clothing was made out of. You can catch any part of your body on a tumble off a bike, and the material your clothing is made of has less to do with that than how close the clothing fits to your body. The likelihood you will catch clothing and get flipped over into a cartwheel seems more a luck of the draw rather than a predictable event. In other words, expect the worst when you ride and be prepared by wearing clothing that both fits snugly and provides maximum abrasion protection.

There are fabric jackets and pants that protect just fine and are useful for touring type riding where the weather could change on you. They also are nice as far as pants anyway in terms of those that are designed to wear over pants so you can wear them over your work clothing if you ride to work.

I am not big on doing tricks on my bikes like wheelies and stoppies. If you want to do the high risk stuff then you better stay away from the fringes and chaps and stick to snug leather clothing with armor.

:2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Leather is more protective then anything else right now, especially when it come to abrasion resistance. The thing is with a get off on the street is that you very rarely are going to have a long slide like you would at the track. You are going to hit something sooner or later or a patch of rough pavement like your friend there.

For street gear make sure it fits proper with armor snug in place. Also make sure you have good boots with ankle support and protection and good gloves. Textile or leather is your choice, I think on the street they are fairly comparable.

In this case it sounds like a good pair of boots were more of a factor then the material of his jacket.
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Speaking of leather, and since I'm feeling in something of a hijacking mood, did anyone see that announcement of the nanotech material being worked on in Israel as body armor? I wonder what the implications could be for motorcycle gear.

The armor is good at stopping piercing objects, but nothing has been said of abrasion resistance.

One linky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
tell that guy to try the same trick again after he greases his leathers up. then, when he falls, he'll just sliiiiiiiiiiiide right along into the next upright structure.

:burnout:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
There's a Reason, that Roadracers all over the world use Leather or Kangaroo...Cuzz it works..:D

Note: Not all leather is the same, there are varying Grades of leather, usually the better, i.e. more spendy garments will tend to use higher grade leather, which is also thinner...but is more abrassion resistance..;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
hey guys I heard that the smell of leather, over time, will fry your brain and make you extremely gullible!

I'm switching to textile!
ooohh boy, its a Goood thing that I STARTED with textile....I could have been in a lot of trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

My primary protective gear is high-quality leather. I have to believe if you're wearing the best leather jacket, pants, gloves, and boots that money can buy you're ahead of the game. Couple this with a top-of-the-line helmet for maximum protection.

~ Blue Jays ~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
kanwisch said:
Speaking of leather, and since I'm feeling in something of a hijacking mood, did anyone see that announcement of the nanotech material being worked on in Israel as body armor? I wonder what the implications could be for motorcycle gear.

The armor is good at stopping piercing objects, but nothing has been said of abrasion resistance.

One linky.
Hijack!

There is an orange impact resistant foam, I remember reading about, simular principle to what you mentioned, and its already in use by Icon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
Speaking from experience, leather slides over asphalt very smoothly. If he caught and flipped, he likely dug in an elbow, knee, hand, foot, shoulder, etc...

Once down, flatten out, and let the gear do its job.

If he described his maneuver as a "Forward wheelie" then he obviously has little experience in the motorcycle world. I would suspect that he has described escaping situations by saying "I had to lay it down!"

There is no (realistic) situation where laying it down is a better solution then staying up and braking hard!

My point is, this sounds like a new, or inexperienced rider. I would take the details of his story with a grain of salt.
Have to agree with this. I've slid just fine in leather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Angrypenguin said:
Leather is more protective then anything else right now, especially when it come to abrasion resistance. The thing is with a get off on the street is that you very rarely are going to have a long slide like you would at the track. You are going to hit something sooner or later or a patch of rough pavement like your friend there.

For street gear make sure it fits proper with armor snug in place. Also make sure you have good boots with ankle support and protection and good gloves. Textile or leather is your choice, I think on the street they are fairly comparable.

In this case it sounds like a good pair of boots were more of a factor then the material of his jacket.
I agree 100%
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top